daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 26th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #5401
robertwood

Likes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikkelAndersen View Post
I don't agree. Yes, sometimes it's the owner that decides what should be built - but sometimes it's the citizens too. I think the inner core should be "old" architecture. Then the modern architecture can be built 500 metres away.
In cities like Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, S.C. when something new is built it must be sympathetic with the historic fabric of these cities. In Savannah one has to get a "Certificate of Appropriateness" before a structure can be built in the historic district. There was some real crap built before the rule was made (but thankfully not too much). Savannah's beauty and history were not really appreciated until the 1970s . Before that an awful lot of good stuff was torn down leaving gaps leaving the city making it looked like it had been through war. Now, these missing blocks or partially missing blocks are being replaced with some really nice buildings that enhance the overall look of the city. We can't bring back what was lost in the U.S. the U.K., Sweden, or Germany but we don't have to settle for mediocrity. There are some times when rules are needed.

In any event, I am inspired by the work that has been done in Dresden compared to when I first visited before the Frauenkirche was even finished. It has come a long long way from 13 years ago. It seems to me that Dresden could take a cue from Savannah with regard to building appropriate structures for the area. If you build pretty they will come.

Sponsored Links
Old April 26th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #5402
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Well, they are free to do whatever they want with the city they're rulling, but they shouldn't be surprised once they realise Dresden is just one of many cities in the world that has a couple of great attractions, but nothing more. Seriously, even though Dresden is one of world's largest treasuries of art, it's still not recognised by many people in the world. For instance, I showed my sister a photo of Dresden's skyline, probably the best historical skyline in Europe (together with Prague), but she didn't recognise it. At first, I thought it's because she's not interested in architecture or something like that, but then I then it came to me it's because Dresden is not promoted that much as a tourist centre, it's only known to the world as "the city that was destroyed during the WW2" and I think it's just sad, especially since we're bombed with cities like London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna or Prague, and we all know Dresden shouldn't be behind them. Of course, situation is getting better and the city actually attracts many tourists nowadays, but one can't expect millions more to flock to a city with amazing museums and galleries, and then wander around a commieblock area or an area with modern, interchangeable architecture. An average tourist that's not interested in art, but rather in just seeing it for the sake of seeing it, will rather go to some other city where he can have the whole experience. The world has turned into a huge arena where everyone wants to be "The next big thing", and those that don't want to adapt to attract attention, as sad as it is, will fall into obscurity.
Simply put, Dresden needs a marketing plan. Had the city had one developed after 1989, they would likely have rebuilt with much greater attention to historic accuracy than what has been done.

I ran into a group of four people from Los Angeles during a trip to Dresden. They were "passing through" and had "heard" it might be a good idea to see the old city center. They were standing at the theaterplatz, taking a few pictures in all directions, and were "considering" walking over the the neumarkt before getting back in the car and heading to Berlin. They were clueless about the city, and although my speech about its history and treasures were compelling, the indoctrination by the travel industry had already claimed their brains.
Old April 26th, 2016, 06:33 PM   #5403
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Simply put, Dresden needs a marketing plan. Had the city had one developed after 1989, they would likely have rebuilt with much greater attention to historic accuracy than what has been done.
Second that. Also, it should consider how it can enlarge its offer. First of all, I think the city should get its own WW2 museum. Warsaw has it, Berlin has it, Gdansk will get it, and as Dresden is pretty much marked by the WW2, it should have one as well, maybe showcasing the methods and weapons used during the war rather than exploring the history of it. I know, it would cost a lot of money, but maybe the EU funds could help in financing the majority of the costs. Also, as the city is now one of the hottest real estate markets in Germany, if there is a new reconstruction project in a couple of years, I think the focus should be put on Neustadt, as many parts of it are actually preserved, they just need to be connected with each other. Also, excluding the few commies that would make problems, there are huge empty plots there, so the costs of demolishing the buildings wouldn't be as high as, let's say, in reconstructing Prager Strasse, so the investors wouldn't be scared that the process would take a lot of time and that it would be unprofitable, and Dresden would get a larger, connected old town area. With these two steps, together with a better marketing campaign (whole Saxony should get one, I've been killing myself over Hubertusburg Palace and the lack of pages in English, I've actually learned some German while doing research online, so maybe it's a good thing, after all ), the city would become much more competitive and attractive.

erbse, keepthepast, ILOVENY liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 03:18 AM   #5404
robertwood

I think the idea of a ww2 museum in Dresden is a great one. Dresden suffered so much and people should know what happened there. It might challenge some of the suppositions non-Germans have about the war.
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 08:39 AM   #5405
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1832

Wouldn't the "Militär Historisches Musuem" (mhmdw.de) be enought? And as far I remeber also the Stadtmuseum has a wide exposition about what happened to Dresden in WWII.
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #5406
calabrone

Likes (Received): 283

Here you have a view from the Altan of the Palais Hoym

erbse, Titan Man liked this post
calabrone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #5407
tampabrasov

Likes (Received): 20

August 2015

cyril sneer, CB31 liked this post
tampabrasov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #5408
tampabrasov

Likes (Received): 20

keepthepast, erbse, Titan Man, cyril sneer liked this post
tampabrasov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2016, 06:44 PM   #5409
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

The Frauenkirche keeps looking better with each passing year. The stone will look really great in another decade.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 10:45 AM   #5410
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Neumarkt Quartier IV/3 - Friesengasse/ Landhausstraße - aktuell 12.04.2016

http://www.dresdner-bauten.de/2016/0...esengasse.html

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。

Tiaren, Roman_P, Titan Man, Nando_ros, Bosi and 2 others liked this post
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 10:48 AM   #5411
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

Neumarkt QVII/2 - MITTWOCH, 27. APRIL 2016

http://www.bausituation-dresden.de/2...tier-vii2.html

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2016, 04:14 PM   #5412
robertwood

The funny thing is that middle building in Quarter IV with its stone cladding probably cost a lot more than then the building between it and the British Hotel but the result.....?
Old May 1st, 2016, 04:44 PM   #5413
robertwood

[QUOTE=Hed_Kandi;132468669]
Pacific Street Townhouses
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Under Construction
http://www.pacificstreettownhouses.com/

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"][CENTER][B]2007

Old May 1st, 2016, 04:46 PM   #5414
robertwood

Sorry couldn't pull it off. See the building that was built in the thread "new buildings built in traditional style" Credit to Hed_Kandi. I was trying to show and appropriate infil building

Last edited by robertwood; May 1st, 2016 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Failed to paste image properly
Old May 1st, 2016, 05:04 PM   #5415
robertwood

Success comes to those who try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed_Kandi View Post
Pacific Street Townhouses
Brooklyn, NY, USA
Under Construction
http://www.pacificstreettownhouses.com/

This is the kind of thing I was talking about with appropriate infils in historic districts. Thanks to Hed_Kandi for image

Future

This is the kind of thing I was talking about with appropriate infils in historic districts. Thanks to Hed_Kandi for image
Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:20 PM   #5416
Steinar37

Likes (Received): 27

that grey building in the middle is just ugly and does not fit the surrounding buildings. What a failure. The yellow building, the modern building is ok-ish.

robertwood, Wiederschönmachung liked this post
Steinar37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 06:03 PM   #5417
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

wrong thread
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2016, 01:21 AM   #5418
robertwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhjo View Post
wrong thread
Well I probably failed in doing it, but my point was that new buildings do not have to replicate exactly what has been lost (although I am not opposed to that). Rather, I was trying to show an example of some of the infill projects going into historic/or old U.S. cities that fit in with the neighborhoods they are being built in. I'm not suggesting that Dresden build things like in my post because a brick building with garages is not appropriate to the city's fabric; however, I am suggesting that new buildings try harder to fit with the historic (or, as in the case of Dresden, recreated) fabric. I'm not too hip on some of these modern architectural statements being made in Dresden. That gray building that is one building away from the British Hotel is just plain bad. While I think Dresden looks great it could look even better with a little better screening of what is being built there in the historic district. Still, the improvement in Dresden since I first saw it about 12 years ago is incredible.
Old May 6th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #5419
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampabrasov View Post

August 2015
So beautiful! Am I dreaming? It seemed impossible, not too long ago, that this could ever be.

robertwood liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 01:29 AM   #5420
robertwood

I know what you mean. Dresden is so inspiring--not just for architecture but for dreaming big!

william of waco, keepthepast liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen