daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 5th, 2016, 02:15 AM   #5481
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Huh? What has one thing to do with the other? I know very well off people that rent and some not so well off people that have a house. It's more a cultural thing I guess.
Germans culturally have an aversion to debt. It's why you see Germany having one of the lowest credit card penetration rates in the western world.

There's nothing wrong with renting. For many people, it makes more financial sense than taking out a mortgage.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

robertwood liked this post
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2016, 09:32 PM   #5482
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3486

I am so sorry, guys!

I guess I was carried away a little bit!
I answered comments and questions over the last 18 months......
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2016, 10:07 PM   #5483
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

You're sorry for what?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

robertwood liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 03:03 AM   #5484
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Huh? What has one thing to do with the other? I know very well off people that rent and some not so well off people that have a house. It's more a cultural thing I guess.
No offense was meant to my German friends. My frame of reference is the U.S. and here, except in places like New York City, renters are typically people who cannot yet afford to buy a home. Home ownership is at the core of achieving the "American Dream." Politicians use the national rate of home ownership as a mark of how good or bad the economy has been. That's why when the Eagle said that most Germans are renters I was so shocked. I associate home ownership with wealth. I guess that is not the case in Germany.
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 03:09 AM   #5485
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
I am so sorry, guys!

I guess I was carried away a little bit!
I answered comments and questions over the last 18 months......
I agree with Erbse, sorry for what? I know I enjoy your pictures and comments as I'm sure a lot of others do too. Hey, is your girlfriend over being mad about what you said about her liking those cute neked cherubs?
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:50 PM   #5486
The Eagle

I guess I have to repay you guys with pictures!

Lots of picks, too!

The next plot has started construction! Contractors are coming by the hole fore some fine digging

Bausituation Dresden

erbse, Jozef77, JustinHerman, Bosi, cilindr0 and 1 others liked this post
Old July 6th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #5487
ILOVENY

Likes (Received): 76

What is going on with Kulturpalast? i thought the re-cladding was finished, but now it's under scaffolding again. I wish they tore down the damn thing.

TM_Germany liked this post
ILOVENY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #5488
The Eagle

The city did it again!

The city of Dresden has decided to widen the roads around the Kuturpalast. Now the plot for the reconstruction for the "Chiapponischen House" is too small by 1.8 meter or 6 feet.
Instead of downsizing the neighbor plot, or to make the Chi House smaller, or to drop the widening, the city just went forward without anyone knowing and got a rendering from a architect!

The Chiapponische Haus. It was said by the same city 2003 that the build was planed to be rebuild

instead the new rendering

source GHND
Old July 6th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #5489
The Eagle

The next two houses have come out of the scaffolding. For some reason, in Renaissance appearance, not the Baroque appearance.

Different colors and a different roof make it good.

The whole square gets flair!

The other side. Triersche House

pictures from bilderbuch, thanks!

Roman_P, Titan Man, erbse, Jozef77, Chadoh25 and 2 others liked this post
Old July 7th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #5490
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

I don't get the two Renaissance buildings as well, especially since the Baroque ones were very beautiful and would work better with their neighbour.

Also, I think it's now official, Dresden's authorities really want to screw one of the best things that happened to their city since the reunification, that modern building is an abomination compared to what can be built there (although the modern one would've been nice somewhere else).

TM_Germany, robertwood liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 06:03 AM   #5491
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
I don't get the two Renaissance buildings as well, especially since the Baroque ones were very beautiful and would work better with their neighbor.
They seem appropriate, according to this pre-war photo:

Quote:
Also, I think it's now official, Dresden's authorities really want to screw one of the best things that happened to their city since the reunification, that modern building is an abomination compared to what can be built there (although the modern one would've been nice somewhere else).
In total agreement here. Seems some forces are determined to undermine this project.
Old July 7th, 2016, 02:23 PM   #5492
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
They seem appropriate, according to this pre-war photo:

I don't know, but I'm sure I've seen a render of that Quartier showing two quite elaborate Baroque buildings in that place. I remember that I was quite surprised as it was the only one I stumbled upon and at the time all other renders of the Quartier showed the Renaissance ones that we have today. Maybe the Baroque ones were planned to be built sometime during the past, but were never finished, so GHND or someone though that those would fit better with the rest. If someone knows, I'll be happy to hear the explanation.

Also, is GHND complaining about the plans for the Chiapponisches Haus? Maybe they should start thinking about protests considering how many stupid decisions the city has made for this project.
Old July 7th, 2016, 02:58 PM   #5493
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

The GHND is protesting all the time actually. Thanks to them, many architectural crimes like the Neues Gewandhaus (puke 1, puke 2) could be prevented. And it's only thanks to them that we get any reconstructions at all. The city initially only wanted the Frauenkirche to be rebuilt. Damn ol' commies...

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #5494
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post

In total agreement here. Seems some forces are determined to undermine this project.
The modernist opposition to new traditional structures and reconstructions appears to be more than just a difference of taste. There is a dogmatic hostility towards reconstructions even when the public strongly supports it. Something is deeply, deeply, deeply wrong with these people.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

robertwood, Rohne liked this post
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #5495
cinxxx
I ♥ Timişoara

Likes (Received): 18268

It's the same like with social justice warriors or feminists, they are a minority, but have a loud voice.
Demonizing every other ideas so that only their point of view is the right one. They are just selfish pricks...
cinxxx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 12:56 AM   #5496
Steinar37

Likes (Received): 27

Whats with the modern/fragments of old style architecture? its so hideous they could just build a glass box instead, it really wouldnt matter.
I really really hate it, and yes, it would be ok if the rest was modern, because it wouldnt matter anyway. This is just STUPID, and I hope someone can prevent it from ever being buildt.

robertwood, Rohne liked this post
Steinar37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 04:26 AM   #5497
Dmerdude

Likes (Received): 1770

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
The city did it again!

The city of Dresden has decided to widen the roads around the Kuturpalast. Now the plot for the reconstruction for the "Chiapponischen House" is too small by 1.8 meter or 6 feet.
Instead of downsizing the neighbor plot, or to make the Chi House smaller, or to drop the widening, the city just went forward without anyone knowing and got a rendering from a architect!

The Chiapponische Haus. It was said by the same city 2003 that the build was planed to be rebuild

instead the new rendering

source GHND
The city officials are having midlife crises....
Dmerdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #5498
sudha muthu

Likes (Received): 3

fantastic
sudha muthu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 04:24 PM   #5499
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerdude View Post
The city officials are having midlife crises....
If only it were a midlife crisis...a few drugs and all would be fine. But this crap is full blown schizophrenia requiring major intervention and keeping them from doing more harm to themselves and others.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #5500
The Eagle

I did some research and apparently the two gray buildings where renaissance originally.
The owners turned them baroque as seen on the renderings. Around 1820 - 1830 the noses where taken off. Maybe the façades where not holding the original weight? The current form is the appearance of 1945.

The year 1744

source: bilderbuch

bilderbuch, thanks!

erbse, Titan Man, socrates#1fan liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen