daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #5501
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
[B]I did some research and apparently the two gray buildings where renaissance originally.
Not apparently, they definitely were renaissance buildings. In this part of the Altstadt many renaissance Buildings had survived...until 1945. But now many renaissance buildings have been reconstructed again. For example the Schütz Residenz, the Trierisches Haus (named after my home town) or the Boesesches Haus.

Titan Man liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; July 8th, 2016 at 05:20 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2016, 11:58 PM   #5502
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

It seems there were renaissance features on the two houses to the left of the Dinglingerhaus at one point.

erbse, Titan Man liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 12:03 PM   #5503
Steinar37

Likes (Received): 27

at some point in time, they probably did some rebuilding at those buildings.
Steinar37 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #5504
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57898

Q VII/2 unveiling! Yay!

The strip of Quartier VII/2 continues!

Trolling stucco?

All posted on July 12 by: wrba / http://www.bausituation-dresden.de/2...tier-vii2.html

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #5505
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

This Quartier looks very beautiful, I hope that the rest of it will be as charming as the part we can see now.

Also, I don't know if it's just me, but recent reconstructions look much more natural than old ones, like old buildings that were renovated not long ago. I don't think that older reconstructions are "fake" or anything, but they look much more "perfect", something I thought doesn't bother me until I saw new ones, with their slightly imperfect ornaments and other little things that add charm and that "historical touch" to them. Just compare Quartier I or IV with this one and you'll see what I'm talking about.

keepthepast, Roman_P, The Eagle liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; July 15th, 2016 at 10:35 PM.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2016, 08:36 PM   #5506
soren5en

Likes (Received): 1921

deutsche fotothek

Last edited by soren5en; July 18th, 2016 at 12:08 AM.
soren5en no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #5507
Tiaren

Here we can see again very well that the historic Neumarkt wasn't perfect either. It was pretty rundown and shabby throughout the 19th and early 20th century actually. Buildings' ornamentation was missing and/or they were converted from their original baroque or renaissance look. The state of the reconstructed Neumarkt is an ideal that probably never existed.

goschio, soren5en, Titan Man, Kubb liked this post
Old July 17th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #5508
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4202

^
Agree, and on top all the cheap looking advertisements. The reconstruction tend to be much more classy in this regard.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2016, 12:51 AM   #5509
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3490

Between 1679 and 1839 the two buildings where remodeled to baroque. After that, the buildings where redone in renaissance.

source Arstempano

The chimneys are still missing

The Beutlerische House

At least the gutters are not blocking the ornaments. Well done

I love the lilac

Thanks, Millennio Secondo

Old July 18th, 2016, 06:17 PM   #5510
SonOfThomp

[QUOTE=erbse;134122757]

What is going on with the left end of the row, facing the Kulturpalast?
Old July 18th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #5511
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
What is going on with the left end of the row, facing the Kulturpalast?
Please don't ask...

Old July 19th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #5512
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Please don't ask...

Oh, no.
Old July 19th, 2016, 11:16 AM   #5513
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1774

Quote:
Please don't ask...

What's so bad? Yes, there are modern buildings but what else should be there? Before the war there were no street to the left, it was the prolongation of the quarter to the spot occupied by the Kulturpalast now. So there were no old structures which could have been recreated, building something modestly modern is the only option. By the way this part won't be visible from the square as soon as Quartier VI is finished.
So there's no reason to cry. Nice gif, though.
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #5514
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman_P View Post
What's so bad? Yes, there are modern buildings but what else should be there? Before the war there were no street to the left, it was the prolongation of the quarter to the spot occupied by the Kulturpalast now. So there were no old structures which could have been recreated, building something modestly modern is the only option. By the way this part won't be visible from the square as soon as Quartier VI is finished.
So there's no reason to cry. Nice gif, though.
There are hundreds of other options as opposed to the modernist provocation we are getting now:

What a beauty...:

The architect Nöfer proves that if there is a will you can also design a tradtional looking building, that fits right in it's surroundings and that doesn't ruin the look of a whole block:

Old July 20th, 2016, 02:27 AM   #5515
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Well, I agree that the modern buildings could've been waaaay better, but you also have to consider the fact that the Nöfer's building is the first traditionalist new building of the whole Neumarkt project, so we should be happy and hope it becomes a practice.

Also, are there plans to reconstruct the Belvedere Palace (or whatever it was) and if there are, which one as there were four on the site? I think it would be a nice addition to the city's skyline.
Old July 20th, 2016, 06:04 AM   #5516
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Well, I agree that the modern buildings could've been waaaay better, but you also have to consider the fact that the Nöfer's building is the first traditionalist new building of the whole Neumarkt project, so we should be happy and hope it becomes a practice.
That is actually not true. There are a couple of traditionalist new buildings. For example the orange house in the middle here:

Also the corner building here. It is not a faithful reconstruction but a fantasy product that never looked liked this and that was just half as big as it is today:

Last but not least, the Neumarkt rebuilding is already nearly finished. There is actually just two more smaller quarters in the second row to rebuild. Everything else is either already build or already in planning. So hardly anymore chances for more traditionalist architecture.
Old July 20th, 2016, 11:38 AM   #5517
Roman_P

Likes (Received): 1774

Quote:

The architect Nöfer proves that if there is a will you can also design a tradtional looking building, that fits right in it's surroundings and that doesn't ruin the look of a whole block:

By the way, I'm sorry if I missed the discussion but what was the reason not to rebuild the Palais Riesch as it used to be?
Roman_P no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #5518
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Quote:
That is actually not true. There are a couple of traditionalist new buildings. For example the orange house in the middle here:

My bad, I didn't know this was a new building, it looks very traditional, I'd always just assumed it was a reconstruction. Job well done, architect!

Quote:
Also the corner building here. It is not a faithful reconstruction but a fantasy product that never looked liked this and that was just half as big as it is today:

I actually knew this building was extended, and to be honest, I don't think it was a smart decision. A quite big Neo-Renaissance corner building in a predominantly Baroque square never really worked for me, it just sticks out somehow.

Quote:
Last but not least, the Neumarkt rebuilding is already nearly finished. There is actually just two more smaller quarters in the second row to rebuild. Everything else is either already build or already in planning. So hardly anymore chances for more traditionalist architecture.
I agree with you, but the Nöfer's building wasn't the first design for that plot, it changed later, so if GHND is pushy enough, we may see the same thing happening at other quarters. I'll remain hopeful.
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:43 PM   #5519
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Clarification of terms please....

Are you referring to "traditional" architecture as any style of building as long as the structure is rebuild with the appearance of the pre 1945 property?
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2016, 03:54 PM   #5520
Tiaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
I actually knew this building was extended, and to be honest, I don't think it was a smart decision. A quite big Neo-Renaissance corner building in a predominantly Baroque square never really worked for me, it just sticks out somehow.
Well, then you won't be a fan of this upcoming building, the "Au Petit Bazar":

What you might dislike even more, that it too will be some sort of fantasy product. Some people already got information that Günter Blobel, who is going to build this house as a private investor, does not intend to make a faithful reconstruction. He will apparently make changes to it's height, storeys and roof. There's unfortunately no visualization yet.

Titan Man, Jozef77 liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen