daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 12th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #5541
Spam King
Make America Great Again!

Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanosmile View Post
it's actually sad that there is a Vapiano in the centre of Dresden, what else? What else do we want to open? Starbucks, McDonalds, Subway... It looks like a huge mall
Sure, why not. It'll draw people which is what every area needs to thrive.

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #5542
Judge Roy Beam

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam King View Post

I can't understand how someone could actually present that as a serious design, especially in the context of this area.

This looks like a parking garage.
It's tempting to attribute eyesores such as this to deliberate acts of sabotage, but more often than not mere tastelessness is the culprit. It's a pathetic sight nonetheless however.

Spam King liked this post
Judge Roy Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #5543
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

IMO, the sign is not that terrible at all, it's not too big and does not draw much attention, it shows that Neumarkt is becoming more citizen-friendly and that's what the area needed the most. You should visit some Eastern Asian city if you're interested in cheap and ugly signs, they have plenty of those... Anyway, I think we've all developed a picture of a perfect Neumarkt in our heads, with every building reconstructed and everything looking exactly like it used to and it made us forget it's also there to serve as a centre of a 21st century city.

It may seem that what I'm going to say is not related to this thread, but is anyone aware that Dresden is considered as a possible German applicant city to host the Winter Olympics of 2026? It was mentioned by the mayor of Altenberg in 2013 and to me, although I don't know how serious it is, sounds like a good idea. If it actually becomes the host of the event, a massive construction boom would follow and I believe we may actually get more reconstructions as the city would reasonably try to show itself and its history in the best possible way. I think they should go with it, Olympics don't have to be a major financial drag if they're planned well, we've seen modular venues in London in 2012 and the whole world knows Germans are efficient and think things through (nevermind Elphie and the Berlin Brandenburg Airport ). Olympics would definitely draw attention to Dresden and after all those years of rebuilding, the city definitely deserves it.

P.S. Sorry for a long post and unrelated post. .

Batavier liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; August 12th, 2016 at 11:15 PM.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 03:30 AM   #5544
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 407

The appetite for hosting a event such as the olympics in germany is currently very, very small. Especially in the east and especially in a city that is as unprepared and has as little to offer as Dresden.

No, I know the Neumarkt and some parts of the Neustadt are very nice but you can see everything worthwile in a day or two and there isn't much else you can do there, so no, I don't think Olympics and Dresden is a thing.

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #5545
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

I know Germans are not willing that much to host such an event, I've seen Hamburg's decision, but as I said, the Olympics don't have to be a big financial loss if you know how to plan them, and I bet Germans would know how to do it. Dresden is unprepared today, but in 10 years it can achieve marvellous things. Also, I know that old buildings are not that numerous in the city, but it has plenty of museums and palaces, the Schloss will probably be close to completion or even completed by then and it has plenty of restaurants and caffes to keep visitors interested. After all, they wouldn't come mainly for sightseeing, but to watch their favourite athletes. I know the Olympics in Dresden probably won't happen, but I think it should be considered as it could present the new Dresden to the world, as Dresden is now mainly known as "that city that was bombed to pieces in WW2".
Old August 13th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #5546
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

For discussions on the Olympics:

http://totallympics.com/
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 02:42 PM   #5547
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Roy Beam View Post
It's tempting to attribute eyesores such as this to deliberate acts of sabotage, but more often than not mere tastelessness is the culprit. It's a pathetic sight nonetheless however.
I couldn't agree more
MikkelAndersen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #5548
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

The only thing I dislike about that building is its huge balcony at the top floor. The rest of the building is above average, the cladding is really good and I like that golden (or brown, I can't decide which color it is ) decoration/ornament. Anyway, one of the better contemporary designs of the project (although most of its competitors are rather unworthy of even mentioning )

erbse, Batavier liked this post
Old August 15th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #5549
Sapere Aude

Likes (Received): 1895

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Germany View Post
No, I know the Neumarkt and some parts of the Neustadt are very nice but you can see everything worthwile in a day or two and there isn't much else you can do there.
Sapere Aude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 02:13 PM   #5550
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

^ Yeah, someone from Limburg could be a little more cautious with such statements. (Though it's a beautiful, but small quaint town)

Dresden is a half-million city with plenty of fabulous and unique sights in its vicinity. There's more than enough to do for weeks or even months.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Titan Man, Tiaren liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #5551
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

I stand by my statement. Dresden is in parts very beautiful and geeks surely could find something to do for quite a while. I for one wouldn't mind strolling around the Villenkolonien and the Neustadt for a couple of days. However the average 08/15 tourist will look at the Neumarkt for one or two hours and be done with it. Most people will be bored after one or two days in Frankfurt for god's sake, don't pretend like it's any different than that.

Also, it's very annoying that you feel the need to base my opinion on my hometown, Erbse. Do you think that because I said Dresden couldn't host the Olympics and I'm from Limburg, that I think Limburg should host them?! That's a weak attack if I've ever seen one. But don't be angry, Limburg and Neubrandeburg share that they're both never going to host the Olympics.

Old August 17th, 2016, 08:52 PM   #5552
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Most people will be bored after one or two days in Frankfurt for god's sake, don't pretend like it's any different than that.
Did you just really compare Frankfurt with Dresden? Yes, it is very different than that! Dresden was always a city of high culture and art and as a royal capital it was especially grand. Frankfurt had a lot of history and a once important Altstadt but other than that it was always more of a trading and banking city, so not nearly half as grand and sophisticated as Dresden. No matter the population. Frankfurt, just like Dresden, lost a great deal in the war but contrary to Dresden, Frankfurt did rebuild hardly anything. Dresden however did and still does. Today nearly all of it's landmarks exist again and a good portion of it's Alstadt has been rebuild. For tourists it has a lot more to offer than Frankfurt. There is really no contest. It is certainly again one of Germany's most beautiful and culturally richest cities. Frankfurt is far from that...

Last edited by Tiaren; August 17th, 2016 at 08:58 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2016, 09:07 PM   #5553
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Architecture is architecture. Most people look around say "This is nice" and move on. The reconstructed part is all nice and dandy but it's also tiny. Maybe 1 sqkm. Dresden also might be much more 'sophisticated' than Frankfurt but that's also only going to entertain tourists for so long. But that all wasn't my point. I compared Frankfurt to Dresden in terms of stuff to do. Frankfurt can't entertain people for very long even though there's a lot more going on than in Dresden, that was my point.
I don't get why you all get your panties in a twist when I state the obvious fact that Dresden couldn't possibly entertain most people for a long duration like during potential Olympic games held there.

Old August 17th, 2016, 11:07 PM   #5554
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Dresden's only problem is that it didn't preserve its historical streets and houses (although you can still find a lot of those in places like Neustadt). The rest of it is there, from palaces and churches to museums and parks, Dresden can for sure entertain someone for a week and a half. Also, it's close to Leipzig and many other smaller cities that are rich in history and historical buildings, like Meißen. There is also Hubertusburg, one of Germany's biggest palaces.

Honestly, if a city like Sochi (which was practically built for the Olympics) managed to do it, so can Dresden, a cultural and historical hub with a booming economy.

Tiaren, erbse liked this post

Last edited by Titan Man; August 18th, 2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old August 18th, 2016, 01:35 AM   #5555
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

I understand completely where TM_Germany is coming from. Sadly...ever so sadly...most tourists simply understand or appreciate the nuances of Dresden or Frankfurt (or most other places) to keep them excited and motivated for much more than a few hours. I may be speaking mostly of Americans, but the reason most Americans think Europe is London, Paris, Rome is due to the unfortunate fact that Disney World is their idea of gloriousness...and they'd prefer a demolition derby in Dallas to a concert in Kreuzberg.

I have overheard comments from tourists in Dresden's Neumarkt when being urged to go inside the Frauenkirche that "...it's just another church". Try to get them to stroll down Rothenburger Strasse. Ha, ha.

TM_Germany liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2016, 12:18 AM   #5556
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3484

This balcony will be painted colorfully

Thanks, bilderbuch!
Old August 20th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #5557
calabrone

Likes (Received): 283

Here you can see some Details from the "Quartier am Jüdenhof" from 13.08.2016. More Pictures you can find in the new bauticker from arstempano

Titan Man, ILOVENY, erbse, JustinHerman liked this post
calabrone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2016, 02:41 PM   #5558
robertwood

Likes (Received): 272

For anyone to fully appreciate what has happened in Dresden in the last few years use the Arstempano link posted by Calabrone and look at the pictures from the 1990s. This is how much of Dresden still looked in the early 2000s when I first visited. Dresden is inspirational!

keepthepast, calabrone liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2016, 06:25 PM   #5559
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

Quote:
Architecture is architecture. Most people look around say "This is nice" and move on. The reconstructed part is all nice and dandy but it's also tiny. Maybe 1 sqkm. Dresden also might be much more 'sophisticated' than Frankfurt but that's also only going to entertain tourists for so long.
What the heck are you even talking about? You can easily spend one day at the Zwinger and the Royal Palace each. Even that "tiny island" of Dresden's old town offers so much that it's easily up there with much, much bigger cities and of course other valuable old towns. Of course it's no place for Joe the Plumber looking for some random bland entertainment like Disney World.

Quote:
But that all wasn't my point. I compared Frankfurt to Dresden in terms of stuff to do. Frankfurt can't entertain people for very long even though there's a lot more going on than in Dresden, that was my point.
How's there "a lot more going on" in Frankfurt than in Dresden? In which terms? From my experience and observation, Dresden has a rich cultural calender that easily trumps Frankfurt. Also there's loads of nice festivals and popular events in and around Dresden, probably on par or also better than Frankfurt. And nightlife is entertaining enough in Dresden too, it seems a livelier scene than in Frankfurt actually (which is more spread out).

Anyway, those comparisons won't take us far. At least it's not very helpful here to state there's not much to do in Dresden, anyone who knows it better will prove you wrong. Not saying Dresden is on the level of a world metropolis of course, but in its range, it's pretty damn good.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Titan Man, soren5en liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2016, 09:57 PM   #5560
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3484

bausituation Dresden!

Titan Man, TM_Germany liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen