daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 02:11 PM   #541
paku
polished and finnished

Likes (Received): 218

Nice progress! I wish the reconstruction in Wroclaw would be as systematical as in Dresden...

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM   #542
Unionstation13

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
To me "historic structures" date back from the Middle Ages or something like that. Historicist buildings from the late 1800s are old but IMO not necessarily historic...unless you consider post-war architecture historic as well.
good point. I don't consider structures before 1920 to really be historic.
But I think structures from the victorian era are historic(though not as historic as middle-age structures). Either way they should be preserved.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:17 PM   #543
Giri

That's really great but isn't that more than a reconstruction ? It looks like to be some sort of reinterpretation.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM   #544
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

The castle? In another forum someone mentioned that the renaissance gables were torn down in the 1830s because of structural problems so it's reconstructed according to its original state.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 03:11 AM   #545
Kim André
The Norwegian

Likes (Received): 11

I don't really see why a random house, of no significant importance at the time, from, let's say medieval times would be more historic than for example Palace of Versailles, Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament), or something like that...

It seems age alone is the only thing that qualifies for being "historic" to you people. It doesn't make sense. Recent history isn't of lesser historic content. What about La Sagrada Família? Everyone knows it, and it has become a rather legendary building together with its architect, Gaudí. But I guess it has to become really old before it's "historic"? We'll probably have to wait 'til the 29th century for that to happen...
Kim André no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:08 AM   #546
catoneinutica

Likes (Received): 1

It's a cold and snowy morning here in Tokio, but you just made my day with this pair of before and (incredibly gorgeous) after pictures.

Folks have been discussing nineteenth-century architecture. From what I've read, Berlin is considered to have reached its architectural zenith at around 1840 after the completion of Schinkel's marvellous buildings. The later 1800s saw the construction of Wilhelmine architecture and urban design (eg, the "Puppenallee"), regarded as in poor taste today by many Germans. Still, there are many magnificent late-19th-century buildings that deserve to be restored/rebuilt. The Victoriahouse in Berlin is certainly one such building; I hope in time it can be rebuilt.

Quote:
Short excursion...Schloss Osterstein in Zwickau (Saxony...close to the German-Czech border)

before:

after:

image hosted on flickr

catoneinutica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2008, 04:34 AM   #547
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim André View Post
I don't really see why a random house, of no significant importance at the time, from, let's say medieval times would be more historic than for example Palace of Versailles, Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament), or something like that...

It seems age alone is the only thing that qualifies for being "historic" to you people. It doesn't make sense. Recent history isn't of lesser historic content. What about La Sagrada Família? Everyone knows it, and it has become a rather legendary building together with its architect, Gaudí. But I guess it has to become really old before it's "historic"? We'll probably have to wait 'til the 29th century for that to happen...
I agree. Was the victorian era not historic?
Old February 4th, 2008, 06:24 AM   #548
Ataman
Some user

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I agree. Was the victorian era not historic?
Not as much for Europe.

-Ataman
Ataman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2008, 03:16 PM   #549
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quartier V/2

Quote:

Well, all I'm talking about is my "feeling" when I hear something being described as a "historisches Gebäude". Again, to me it's something that dates back at least a couple of centuries but that doesn't mean my way of looking at things represents some sort of official definition.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old February 4th, 2008, 05:23 PM   #550
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataman View Post
Not as much for Europe.

-Ataman
Well obviously, but they are still historic. Much of London is 19th century buildings, and its considered a very historic city. Paris aswell.
Old February 4th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #551
Unionstation13

I love the progress on the reconstruction, are there anymore plans for reconstructions?
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #552
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionstation13 View Post
I love the progress on the reconstruction, are there anymore plans for reconstructions?
Yes there are! But there are plans for some modernist crap besides this reconstructions as well.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2008, 12:40 AM   #553
Unionstation13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Yes there are! But there are plans for some modernist crap besides this reconstructions as well.
do modernist just have this urge to ugly everything up?!
Old February 5th, 2008, 11:52 PM   #554
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

Quote:
Quartier V/2
You can mainly see the 'Heinrich-Schütz-Residenz' on these pics.

I'll add some additional ones regarding this, if it's all right

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:45 AM   #555
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Another excursion...some interesting shots comparing the state of Berlin in the late 80s/early 90s to today

Hackerscher Markt

Old February 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #556
Unionstation13

its nice to see some Berlin shots!
Old February 9th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #557
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Kurländer Palais

Quartier III

Old February 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #558
ALESSANDRO
MrBlackMagicHimself

Likes (Received): 523

I'm watching your pics for some time now, Kamflamm and one thing I can't figure out is: what kind of tenants are these new buildings gonna have? Is this residential? Flats? Or is it too expensive and will only be let to banks and law offices? Who owns these buildings - Rathaus? I imagine there will be cafes, bistros and other services on ground floors but what about the rest? There's quite a lot of it to besitz

"Jak przestałem kochać design" Marcina Wichy
- obowiązkowa lektura dla polskich anarchitektów, projektantów wnęk, kierowników wydziałów architortury w magistratach i...
urbanistów, jeśli nauczyli się w swoim kraju j. polskiego. Polecam!

www.miasto2077.pl

twaardy haardy pyycha
ALESSANDRO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #559
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

A number of these buildings have been turned into hotels while plenty of others will be turned into residential places. I don't know that much about it either but from what I understand the city sold the Quartiers to various different investors, so these guys are then in charge of selling apartments etc. I'm sure there'll be a couple of dentists and things like that as well.

Old February 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM   #560
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3267

Quote:
That's just being silly. The 1800's were a period of prosperity and "history in the making" for many european cities (that had existed for several centuries already).

Barcelona and Vienna for example. Really old cities, but the most noteworthy architecture of historic intrest here are from the 19th century. Though younger cities (a bit less than 1000 years old), both Riga and Berlin has more than their share of architecture of historic interest from the 19th century.
I don't know about Vienna but Barcelona has the highest concentration of gothic buildings in the world, the most important remaining civic structure in the shipyards..... I would not say the 19th century buildings are more notheworhy. The keep each other well in balance.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen