daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2016, 04:04 PM   #5621
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

You really love mentioning one word or sentence as some sort of an argument, even when someone that actually said those words confessed their mistake. You don't need to teach me the history of my own country, I know that Dubrovnik architecturally doesn't have almost any connection with the country it is located in now. It was just (almost) a regular city-state that built buildings in styles that were modern back then in other parts of Europe. You should check the context of the whole post and the posts after that, but that would leave you without something to drag through various threads, just to stir an argument where there is no need for it. You've done it in both 2WTC and 3WTC threads, you've done it in Berlin's Stadtschloss thread and now here. I know what I am, and that's definitely not a nationalist. I quite love making fun of my country and I plan to continue doing that until I die. That means I don't address various things and other people's accomplishments as "mine" or "Croatian" just because it's located here now. Now, I would really love if you'd stop mentioning or denouncing me across the forum for something that was more than a year ago and for which I myself said it came out wrongly. I really hope this is the last time I need to go OT to explain things that were already explained.

To get back to the topic, you do know the difference between Baroque and Renaissance, right? If you do, explain to me, what on Earth those newly-reconstructed buildings in Dresden have with Italian Renaissance villas? I mean, that's just trolling at its finest. Don't degrade someone's success and achievements just because you don't like it. Neumarkt's reconstruction is probably one of the best and largest reconstructions in the last few decades. There are some minor setbacks and imperfections, but overall it is a great success for European architecture. Another thing, Germany is known for its strict and fair rules and laws all across the world. That's why Tiaren said it twice, because developers can't put Skopje-esque building there and call it a reconstruction. There is some serious planning and developing behind every single building and there are a lot of people that are trying to make those buildings as good and authentic as they can be. Oh, and to answer your question about palaces modelled after the Italian ones, I don't know if there were any such in Dresden, but there are 3 palaces in Potsdam that were modelled after some Italian ones. Those were reconstructed and you can check the thread here.

Last edited by Titan Man; October 5th, 2016 at 04:20 PM.
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 5th, 2016, 04:21 PM   #5622
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture lover View Post
My point was that materials of better quality should be used, the overall impression I have about the buildings is that they look somehow artificial. Especially the attics, there seem to be too many windows on the roofs.
Well, they are new buildings after all. The attics have always been used and therefore had always windows. I have no doubt that their number and style changed from time to time but the situation we see from Jüdenhof is pretty accurate.
Regarding the used material it varys from project to project. The recent project (Quartier VII/2) is one of the best regarding to that.

Titan Man, erbse liked this post
Saxonia está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #5623
calabrone

Likes (Received): 283

Here some Pictures between "Yesterday, today and tommorow" More pictures from yesterday between 1990-95 from the newmarket you can find of ARSTEMPANO

Panolink

Panolink
Old November 11th, 2016, 06:54 PM   #5624
AMS guy
hipp-E

I love the reconstructions in Dresden but this corner building is terrible:

How could they let this happen, it ruins the rest completely
Old November 12th, 2016, 02:29 AM   #5625
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

dont worry too much, it will be hidden in a couple of years behind another block

AMS guy, Fudgis, Roman_P, Zaz965 liked this post
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #5626
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Yeah, what you see there will be a narrow alley soon. So you won't have much of an idea there's this shoebox at the end of the alley.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

AMS guy, Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #5627
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

Wow! The amount of reconstruction is staggering, and Dresden is just beautiful! Is there a plan to reconstruct the entire historic center? Per my readings on other sites much of Dresden was replaced with commie blocks, is this true?
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #5628
Opulentus

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS guy View Post

Hideous. It finds its way into everything. Modernism is quite possibly the worst thing to ever happen to our civilisation.

BlueBalls liked this post
Opulentus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #5629
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 837

I believe modern and traditional architecture can sit side by side but that corner building has seriously misunderstood all the proportions, scale and mass of the adjacent buildings. Shocking piece of architecture it is. How could they get it so wrong, and more importantly how could it have been allowed to even get to the construction stage?

keepthepast liked this post
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:05 PM   #5630
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

I'm not a hater of modern architecture, there are far too many modern buildings I just adore, but this one has to be the ugliest piece of sh*t I have ever seen in my life. It's just wrong, no matter whether it stands next to a Baroque palace or a commieblock. It's just stupid, nothing more and nothing less. I would seriously like to know what people of Dresden think of its presence there, and what do they think of Neumarkt's reconstruction in general, as I think it hasn't been discussed here.

emperormadness, ILOVENY, Bosi, Zaz965 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:30 PM   #5631
dlamoureux

Likes (Received): 8

I love that slender corner modern building. I would live in the apartment and enjoy the beautiful restaurant downstairs. It is a welcome addition to the corner which will work well with the façade of Kulturpalast. It will be a lovely narrower street with a nice urban modern feel and yet at a human scale. I think it is wonderful.
dlamoureux no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 07:53 PM   #5632
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3486

The owner refused to build something like this. He came forward on the German Dresden Forum and presented his models. He and his family wanted to build in the "Reform Style" common in Germany in the 1920`s. The corner in light green/white with Loggias towards Neumarkt and the other build in Yellow. No reconstructions but historic for his customers and market demand. He showed beautiful pictures.
The city of Dresden is against neo-historic buildings or a higher number of re-constructions. So the city`s design-committee for the Neumarkt told him that they can not force him the build Bauhaus destructive, but they can delay the whole project. I is a blackmail. Family Kimmerle gave in and build this instead. But it is hard to promote the building. The tenant in the ground floor, for example, is putting a extreme neo historic interior in;-0 to piss of the committee.
Btw: There is pressure coming from the Federal Government to discontinue the Neumarkt Design committee. There may be an investigation for misconduct of power coming soon.

Unfortunate Mr. Kimmerle deleted his planned buildings on APH Forum. Does anyone (please user Arstempano?!) has the original pictures of the alternative in Reform Style? Reform Style is colorful, simple with a touch of Baroque.
Old November 15th, 2016, 08:08 PM   #5633
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3486

Lets have a look at the rebuild of the former water pump station called "Saloppe" Condos will be made in the "Saloppe". Half of the build was missing. Towers where missing. Lucky for us, no Neumarkt design committee in this part of town!!!

The color will change from painted orange to original Klinker brick red

underground parking

The towers being rebuild!

The building will be like this. Without the smoke stalk

source Thank you Mr. Dietrich Flechter!
Old November 15th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #5634
pccvspw999

Likes (Received): 1832

Interresting development, but I would have some concerns in living just within the floodplain of Elbe river.
What was the situation of the site during the floods in 2002?
pccvspw999 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2016, 11:56 PM   #5635
bolg

Likes (Received): 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opulentus View Post
Hideous. It finds its way into everything. Modernism is quite possibly the worst thing to ever happen to our civilisation.
Modernism has spanned nearly a century and included dozens of different movements. The house pictured is just shoddy work.
bolg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #5636
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Like roughly 95% of "modernism" is "shoddy work", sadly.

Especially when not built solitary, but intended to work in the urban context, which it rarely does. Examples from across the world are evident, and so are the examples from Dresden since the mid of the 20th century.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #5637
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

I think that is why the Neue National Galerie Museum in Berlin seems to work. It's on its own and does not conflict/compete with anything near it, as it is surrounded by landscape and access.

erbse, TM_Germany, Zaz965 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 07:35 PM   #5638
cyril sneer

Likes (Received): 837

They seem to have designed the building with too much emphasis on a blank bulky facade for some reason and it doesn't work. Its clashes to much with the decorative appearance of the other buildings in the terrace. I feel it would have benefited from more glazing to give it a more lighter appearance in a more regular formation as opposed to the staggered window formation. They could have created a clever comptemporay design that was sympathetic to the other buildings in the terrace with a bit of thought.
cyril sneer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 05:56 AM   #5639
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12105

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Lets have a look at the rebuild of the former water pump station called "Saloppe" Condos will be made in the "Saloppe".
Lol how did they come up with such a name? in French, that word... kinda has a different meaning

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2016, 12:09 PM   #5640
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMS guy View Post

Does anyone know when the block to the left will be constructed?
MikkelAndersen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen