daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2017, 02:36 PM   #5721
Max BGF
Alphaist

Likes (Received): 14860

When comparing the details of both pics for Au Petit Bazar there are not so many differences as it appears at first sight.

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #5722
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

The roof treatment and apparent "penthouse" is the big problem which could be addressed easily with some encouragement, if not pressure, on the GHND.

The rest of the structure, I agree, may not be 100% perfect, but compared to the majority of modernist and irresponsible new Dresden buildings, it's a win.
Old February 24th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #5723
Jasper90
Unità

Likes (Received): 12105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max BGF View Post
When comparing the details of both pics for Au Petit Bazar there are not so many differences as it appears at first sight.
Sure, but still, the strength of Dresden reconstruction lied in the "either identical, extremely faithful reconstruction, or nothing".

I want to know what is faithful and what is modern. I really dislike the idea of building something that mimics the historical building, but deviates, even slightly.
I would rather have preferred an utterly modern building or an expressionist one, in case the exact replica is unavailable.

And let's look at the building itself: it's not classy at all, the statues are too short and those rectangles in the façade make it look a lot cheaper. The roof and the penthouse are simply hideous, and I especially dislike the tiny roof windows. What's the point?

And finally: is it ethic for a developer, who should be controlled, to also be a controller and approve his own projects? To me it looks like a big conflict of interests (and trust me, my country knows very well what it means, unfortunately )

Please visit my thread, and feel free to ask any question :) don't forget to subscribe!

Max BGF liked this post
Jasper90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 09:50 PM   #5724
ILOVENY

Likes (Received): 76

If you compare the two, it looks like they shrunk the entire floor with big glass windows and statues, and made them smaller, which is ridiculous.

Generally speaking, I can't really understand people in Dresden who make decisions about architecture in their city. Dresden was destroyed twice already, once in WWII, then the second time by ideology that destroyed what was left, but it seems to me now it's being destroyed again by people who are rebuilding it. I understand it would be too expensive to reconstruct everything, but what they could have done is at least do faithful reconstructions in the city core - old town, and then gradually move towards modern architecture, while preserving the density and street grids. For someone to decide to keep that ugly Kulturpalast in the middle of a baroque old town is beyond me.

keepthepast, Max BGF liked this post
ILOVENY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #5725
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Slightly larger version of the modern interpretation of an historicist building:

https://twitter.com/szonline/status/...034818/photo/1

To be perfectly honest I'm ok with it. 95% of all people would mistake this for a building from the 19th century or even earlier.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 10:39 PM   #5726
keepthepast

Right. Let's be honest. This building isn't "pure" but a million times better than atrocities like the kulturpalast, the southside of the AltMarkt, the Hilton hotel in the neumarkt, and many others. This is far superior to the modern corner on the opposite end of the DinglingerHaus, just a few feet away.

Everything is a trade off. And most solutions occur within an acceptable range. I think this is in the acceptable range.
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:12 PM   #5727
flusispieler

Likes (Received): 16

The only thing that really does bother me about the new interpretation is the gap to the neighbouring building that is filled by a more contemporary design

keepthepast, The Eagle, Chadoh25 liked this post
flusispieler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:23 PM   #5728
White Light
Shines in the dark...

Likes (Received): 942

At least the gap follows the uniformity of the Petit Bazar... But at the end, yes, it will look quite ok really.

Believe in architecture..........

robertwood liked this post
White Light no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #5729
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

And guys don't forget to celebrate the various buildings which were planned here and that haven't been realized. I haven't saved them on my PC, but I'm sure guys here can remember what would have been (and what wasn't pretty) This is really an improvement of the plans AND finally, we have waited for so long but when this building is realized the Kulturpalast won't be visible from the Neumarkt anymore!!

robertwood, erbse liked this post
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #5730
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

I have a hard time with the idea that a building in Dresden must either be a faithful reconstruction or some modernist crap. What is wrong with new constructions that are sympathetic to what was once there? Obviously reconstructions are the best but that may not always be feasible,

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #5731
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Yep, it is a huge disappointment in many regards:

1) The legitimacy of the whole Neumarkt project will take a big hit. Fantasy buildings so far were very rare. There was just one building with a doubled facade. With this new building block reconstruction opponents can finally justifiably call the Neumarkt Disneyland.

2) The reputation of the GHND, the defenders of a faithfully reconstructed Neumarkt, will take a big hit, since it is one of their own members, an honorable member even, that we have to thank for this Frankenstein of a building.

3) The original Au Petit Bazar was a unique, beautiful and well proportioned building that will now never return.

4) A roof like it is now planned for the new Au Petit Bazar is completely atypical for Dresden. It will stick out like a sore thumb.

5) The narrow intermediate building between the new Au Petit Bazar and the rest of the building block is visually very unsatisfactory and disruptive.

6) Because of the additional narrow intermediate building the baroque symmetry of the neighbouring building will be ruined.
Tiaren is absolutely right!

Petit Bazar was en important historic landmark and the way they want to "rebuilt" it now is just a monstrosity.
It is out of proportion and negates the historic symmetry that is so important to show the developement of the original baroque building into the one with the remodelt left pavillon by Semper! Instead of building this crap it would be better to just build its original form before Sempers remoddeling. So we would get at least some sort of historic correctness.

I dont say that the new developenent is a bad building, it would be nice for another spot, but to build this as a "reconstruction" is just awful.
historical corectness is a must at this location!
This might be hard to understand for people who are used to get a lot of buildings that just look historic, which is of course ok, but not if those buildings aim to be some sort of a recontruction!

And there is a reason why the only show the left part on the renderings, because try to hide, that the important symmetry will be broken forever!

Old March 2nd, 2017, 05:06 PM   #5732
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

The 19th century building, even if historically correct, breaks the 'symmetry', as it is. My opinion is that it should be built as it was in the 18th century.

Regardless of the outcome here, even the modern reinterpretation is far better than a glass box or lame Lego joke.

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 12:52 AM   #5733
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

I agree it's much, much better than what we could've hoped for earlier or what other new "interpretations" performed around neumarkt. And indeed, the pre-war ensemble wasn't symmetric either. The actual charm about an old town is its asymmetries and the chaos. Thus I'll remain skeptic about the outcome and still be lucky what we possibly get. I'd opt for a tiled roof instead of a glas pavillon for the filler though, and a better solution for the courtyard portal.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Spam King, Kubb, keepthepast, Urbanista1 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2017, 09:22 PM   #5734
SonOfThomp

The glass roof is a curious addition. Perhaps it offers a view of the Neumarkt?
Just as likely, though, is the determination of the city planners to sabotage any effort to reconstruct anything faithfully.
Old March 10th, 2017, 09:23 PM   #5735
SonOfThomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
The actual charm about an old town is its asymmetries and the chaos.
Absolutely!
Old March 11th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #5736
keepthepast

and maintaining the many narrow streets, alleys, and passages without creating set backs and open spaces. The chaos all crowded in together is ever so important to the historical tone.

Spam King liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #5737
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3486

Indeed! Here some pictures!

On the right hand the "Chiapponische Haus"

The Frauen Strasse will become one of the most beautiful streets!

The Neumarkt front

pictures are with approval from user bilderbuch APH
Old March 21st, 2017, 03:25 PM   #5738
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Wonderful reconstructions at Dresden! I would like to see more of the Neustädter side reconstructed, as well as some consistency on Wilsdruffer Straße, which is a bit of a mess. The area around Prager Straße in historical style would be incredible, though will almost certainly not happen Pirnaischer Platz too.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 03:41 PM   #5739
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

I'm afraid that if initiative for historical reconstructions stalls for even a short period (say after the planned reconstruction of the Narrenhäusal and surrounding buildings) it will lose all momentum and be swiftly stamped out by its opponents, thus ending a brief renaissance in Dresden. Let's hope for an enduring front, so that Dresden may restore some of its urban fabric, and, most importantly, its soul.

The thought of a complete reconstruction is absurd, but I'd like to see this work expand, hopefully with less modernist reinterpretations of classical buildings

erbse, TM_Germany, Bradipo, keepthepast liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2017, 03:24 PM   #5740
keepthepast

At one point, after we saw the result of a lovely reconstruction (Semper Oper) and after the Wall came down, the idea of a nearly complete reconstruction was not out of reach or reality. But the quick and easy road to riches led many developers to give us PragerStrasse and the many other modern space-fillers that will be around for a long time.

You are completely correct...without the ongoing pressure to maintain a historical component to the architectural planning of the city, future developments may well all take on the look of MarienStrasse and the south end of the Alt Markt.

qjone2 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen