daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #5761
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3484

Update Quarter VI

Will look like this, same "Zeile" or row of houses:

source: Arstempano.de

pictures from APH user bilderbuch, thanks!

TM_Germany, qjone2, Titan Man liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:26 AM   #5762

Likes (Received): 93

Looks amazing!
112998 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 04:12 AM   #5763
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Glad to see renewed activity in the Neumarkt This quarter should look great. Does anyone know when it will be completed? I'll be in Dresden in October.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #5764
qjone2

https://translate.googleusercontent....1oKTLkSuJONbpg

It appears the city council is once again trying to slyly sabotage reconstructions in Dresden. After approval for the reconstruction of the Narrenhaüsel following civilian pressure, the council has placed a number of challenging tenants of construction on the Narrenhaüsel, which will make it less attractive to investors.

These include:

– The necessary inclusion of parking space, despite the fact there is no room for parking space on the site.

– The supposed need for an elevator from the Elberadweg to the Narrenhäusel, which would likewise be unattractive to investors.

I'm assuming the purpose of this is to prevent construction for long enough that the council can call for revisions of the planned reconstruction and build a modern building there instead, or nothing at all. Alternatively, it could result in a bastardised reconstruction.

The GHND and others are calling for revisions of the tender text.

Last edited by qjone2; April 5th, 2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old April 5th, 2017, 03:17 PM   #5765
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

^ These things are legal necessities. They aren't deliberately harming the project imho.
But I think there will be a compromise that works fine for this site.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 04:46 PM   #5766
qjone2

^ Well as it stands that compromise will be a parking lot on the Elbe waterfront, because there is otherwise no space for one on the site.
Old April 5th, 2017, 06:39 PM   #5767
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

In many areas they're fine with replacement parking lots at other sites.
They'll need to go that way here, too.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

qjone2 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #5768
jeanbaptiste

Likes (Received): 2

this may sound like an odd request, but does anyone know a source (english or german) of how I can see the interiors of these baroque townhouse buildings as they were in the 18thc. ?
floor plans, descriptions, drawings, etc. I am curious how they were laid out and how they were decorated, and also who rented them, what each floors were used for etc, etc.

I thought here would know because doing reconstructions surely the architects did their research.
forgive me if this is the wrong thread to ask this question

qjone2 liked this post
jeanbaptiste no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 05:01 PM   #5769
coimbatore25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

looks so beautiful
coimbatore25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #5770
coimbatore25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

nice pic
coimbatore25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #5771
qjone2

Quote:
this may sound like an odd request, but does anyone know a source (english or german) of how I can see the interiors of these baroque townhouse buildings as they were in the 18thc. ?
floor plans, descriptions, drawings, etc. I am curious how they were laid out and how they were decorated, and also who rented them, what each floors were used for etc, etc.
This resource might help you to some degree:

http://altesdresden.de/index.htm?get_haus=sche019

It depicts maps of both old and new dresden and allows you to interact with the individual houses/buildings in the form of images and some information. In a lot of cases this is limited, though there are some images of interiors, for example.

That's the best I can do, sorry. Maybe someone else will be able to help you with the specifics

erbse, The Eagle, keepthepast liked this post
Old April 11th, 2017, 11:56 PM   #5772
The Eagle

Hello all together! I have good news: I have found a Lady who will share and update with us the proceedings on and in the Schloss!
So therefore let us begin with some Schloss reconstruction updates!
I am very, very excited, because she also will give us pictures here on SSC from outside and inside the Schloss during construction! Very cool stuff.

Let us jump to the inner court. The almost, almost finished west side façade:

This is the same angel 1981
http://fotothek.slub-dresden.de/foto...1015_016_a.jpg
source BautzenFan, Thank You!

Roy Corduroy, TimothyR, Titan Man liked this post

Last edited by The Eagle; April 12th, 2017 at 12:02 AM.
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #5773
The Eagle

I am sorry for the huge picture! Well, better than the other one that was too small! lol

Anyway, the South/west stair tower was the last one that got stucco. The windows where changed to light green. Here a picture from July 2016

This is today:

In 2019 we will see the "Atlan" coming together. Right now there is very important work with scientists of how to redo the Atlan the original way with the original technique and tools.

The scientists work podium:

This is how it is going to look:

source: MOPO{TAG24}

No picture without the gentleman possible:

source: MOPO {TAG24}

The model. With finished Atlan and statues on gables!

source APH member BautzenFan!
Old April 12th, 2017, 01:44 AM   #5774
qjone2

^ What an amazing transformation! Glad to know it will look even better soon
Old April 13th, 2017, 10:09 AM   #5775
qjone2

The former beauty of Grunaer Straße, with the Kaiserpalast in the background. Unfortunately, the width of this street has been tripled and reconstruction is impossible

The same street today:

Titan Man liked this post
Old April 13th, 2017, 01:52 PM   #5776
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Well, one can always narrow the street, it's not irreversible, it's just unlikely to happen knowing Dresden's idiotic authorities.

Also, there are maybe other priorities for reconstructions, as there are many empty plots in the city. I mean, it would be too expensive to demolish a couple of buildings, narrow the street and then rebuild it when they can just build on empty land. However, I would like to see that happen in future, once the empty plots and ruins are gone.

qjone2 liked this post
Titan Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #5777
qjone2

Quote:
Well, one can always narrow the street, it's not irreversible, it's just unlikely to happen knowing Dresden's idiotic authorities.
The only problem being that this area is still a massive transport junction. Narrowing the streets suddenly would be chaos, as the city wouldn't be able to deal with the traffic. This applies to the Postplatz, Pirnaischer platz, and Carolbrücke surrounds as well. Until this traffic is signigantly directed elsewhere (as it steadily has been in recent years), no reconstruction is possible. Even then, it is likely that the city would merely accomodate the current buildings to future needs. I hold some hope that in the future these areas could be redeveloped historically, but I'm becoming increasingly pessimistic.

Last edited by qjone2; April 13th, 2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old April 13th, 2017, 03:38 PM   #5778
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Your pessimism is well founded. The splendors of much of the areas from Pirnaischer platz and east were a result of Wilhelmine era buildings. As such, we have been without longer than the world was able to enjoy these wonders, so their 'historic' value is questioned, in fact largely miss understood, by the unsympathetic decision makers in Dresden.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 01:52 AM   #5779
qjone2

Quote:
Your pessimism is well founded. The splendors of much of the areas from Pirnaischer platz and east were a result of Wilhelmine era buildings. As such, we have been without longer than the world was able to enjoy these wonders, so their 'historic' value is questioned, in fact largely miss understood, by the unsympathetic decision makers in Dresden.
Yes, historicist buildings seem to be looked down upon in both architectural and conservational circles. I'm really not sure why, as they are as much a testiment to our history and culture as any other building. The notion that they represent 'regressive' architecture is absurd, and mostly touted by modernists, seeing as how our architecture has always been dirived from earlier styles and forms.

Even then, I believe their immense artistic value is enough to warrent reconstruction, as they stand testiment to a period of history Germany and the world has largely forgotten. In Germany's case, I think this is due to the idea that old-world German culture of the 19th and early 20th centuries represents the belligerence and rabid nationalism that led to nazism, and should thus be left in the past. This perhaps accounts for the lack of historical reconstructions in Germany, though is, in my view, misguided. I think Germany's future lies in finding common ground with the past (more so than they have already); not being enveloped by it but also not denying it's place in their cities. I think architecture is a great means of achieving this. After all, "seeing is believing", and the physical presence of a structure gives a greater sense of history than any textbook ever could.

erbse, Rohne liked this post
Old April 14th, 2017, 01:54 AM   #5780
qjone2

Double post.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen