daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 14th, 2017, 04:05 AM   #5781
Mruczek
Warrior of Excel

Likes (Received): 13455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Well, one can always narrow the street, it's not irreversible, it's just unlikely to happen knowing Dresden's idiotic authorities.
I wouldn't call "idiotic" authorities who brokered one of the greatest reconstruction project in Europe. In, relatively poor city of many other urgent necessities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan Man View Post
Also, there are maybe other priorities for reconstructions, as there are many empty plots in the city. I mean, it would be too expensive to demolish a couple of buildings, narrow the street and then rebuild it when they can just build on empty land. However, I would like to see that happen in future, once the empty plots and ruins are gone.
You will wait long for that. There's plenty of empty lots in Dresden. Actually, one forgets about it when in Old Town, but just 200-300 metres further it's kinda windy
Barcelona Budapeszt Grodno Kowno Madryt Moskwa Ukraina

Titan Man liked this post
Mruczek no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2017, 11:29 AM   #5782
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
I wouldn't call "idiotic" authorities who brokered one of the greatest reconstruction project in Europe.
While I agree that the city has done a great job with current reconstructions, this is mainly due to the work of past city council members. The current city council is vehemently opposed to reconstructions and make no point of hiding it.

Quote:
You will wait long for that. There's plenty of empty lots in Dresden. Actually, one forgets about it when in Old Town, but just 200-300 metres further it's kinda windy.
Yes this is true. Dresden is full of open spaces, still in part due to the bombing. From Wikipedia:

Quote:
Dresden is one of the greenest cities in all of Europe, with 63% of the city being green areas and forests.
Old April 16th, 2017, 06:09 PM   #5783
qjone2

The Carolabrucke of old Dresden. It survived the bombing of the city, but was destroyed on the last day of the Second World War, when Waffen SS men blew up large portions of the bridge merely to hinder the already victorious Red Army. It was replaced in the 1960s by today's Carolabrucke, more than 3 times the width of the original and a major traffic hub.

Last edited by qjone2; April 19th, 2017 at 04:29 AM.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #5784
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mruczek View Post
Actually, one forgets about it when in Old Town, but just 200-300 metres further it's kinda windy
And THAT is where modern ideas belong. North of Wilsdruffer Strasse, not so much.
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #5785
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
This resource might help you to some degree:

http://altesdresden.de/index.htm?get_haus=sche019
Hours. Days? Hours, for sure, I spend poking around this wonderful place

qjone2 liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:39 AM   #5786
qjone2

Quote:
And THAT is where modern ideas belong. North of Wilsdruffer Strasse, not so much.
That 'windy area' used to be very beautiful, and I think it would be amazing should it be reconstructed historically.

Last edited by qjone2; April 19th, 2017 at 04:31 AM.
Old April 17th, 2017, 12:35 PM   #5787
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post

The Carolabrucke of old Dresden. It survived the bombing of the city, but was destroyed on the last day of the Second World War, when Waffen SS men blew up large portions of the bridge merely to hinder the already victorious Red Army. It was replaced in the 1960s by today's Carolabrucke, more than 3 times the width of the original and a major traffic hub. Images don't seem to be working, so I'll just post URLs.
It seems that Carolabrucke was Dresden's most beautiful bridge, so sad it's gone. Even though it's improbable, I would like to see it reconstructed one day.

Also, I would like to say that, for me, Dresden is not a city that should reconstruct just its core and forget about all those wonderful buildings outside of it. It should reconstruct everything that is worth reconstructing, only those buildings that are not architecturally important should be replaced with something modern. That way, you'll get the best of both worlds and the city would have something for everybody's taste in architecture.
Old April 17th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #5788
mhjo
mhji

Likes (Received): 90

It looks like the new Carola bridge is resting on the original pillars.

qjone2 liked this post
mhjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 02:54 PM   #5789
qjone2

Quote:
I would like to say that, for me, Dresden is not a city that should reconstruct just its core and forget about all those wonderful buildings outside of it. It should reconstruct everything that is worth reconstructing, only those buildings that are not architecturally important should be replaced with something modern. That way, you'll get the best of both worlds and the city would have something for everybody's taste in architecture.
I agree. While Dresden was aplenty with architectural gems, not everything was amazing. Some buildings were quite literally square, unadorned boxes with windows, a roof, and peeling paint to boot. Some such buildings existed in otherwise amazing quarters of the city. The Munzgasse near the Frauenkirche, which is today filled with quite plain 'historically inspired' buildings, was originally ...

*drum roll*

... Even less inspiring.

Save two or three buildings, the street was filled with dull, otherwise ugly buildings, a far cry from the baroque gems found elsewhere in the Neumarkt.

Buildings like this were scattered throughout the old city, sometimes alone amongst a street of baroque or historicist gems, sometimes heaped together. I expect no one to invest time, money, or energy into their revival. These buildings are the place for well integrated, beautiful modernist buildings that strive for progress while being harmonious with their surroundings. Ugly, inharmonious modern buildings should not replace buildings that were and are worthy of reconstruction, such as is happening in the Neumarkt currently. Dresden could learn a thing or two from Berlin, which is currently producing wonderful, historically inspired modern buildings. This would also silence those critics that claim Dresden is turning itself into a 'Disneyland'-esque open air museum.

Quote:
It looks like the new Carola bridge is resting on the original pillars.
Yes, it is actually. The SS men that destroyed the bridge couldn't rid the world of it entirely. Some small part of the old remains with the new. While the chance of a reconstructed Carolabrucke is almost nil, when heavy traffic is eventually diverted away from the city centre (as is steadily taking place) perhaps it could be rebuilt if the economic and political landscape of Germany has changed enough to allow it. The future holds many surprises

Last edited by qjone2; April 17th, 2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #5790
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

I stumbled on this wonderful site yesterday. Click on any building on the map of Dresden for a photo of the building that was there. Drag your arrow over the photo to see what the site looks like today, taken from the exact same angle. I spent hours at this site.

http://verschwundene-bauwerke.de/

Titan Man, erbse liked this post
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:41 PM   #5791
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Fantastic site. Thanks so much Justin, but alas, what a painful experience to dive into this, what I would term, a horror story. The commies were terrible for 50 years of horrible buildings, but the cheap modernists for the last 27 years have largely continued the assault on the cityscape and historic views. Much of the current images are clearly newer constructions, post 1989, when the clean slate and financing could have provided far more reconstructions than the dribble-amount we have. Be prepared, when spending time on the site, to be repeating "I can't believe it"...over and over.

qjone2 liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 01:46 AM   #5792
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3484

While we are on the subject of disappeared builds: Some disappeared things come back to life.
Like former parts of the Schloss, entombed by later expansion.
Here some promised inside pictures away from the publics eye!

This is a picture from 1680. The round window can be seen on the right ground level:

The inside stucco is under rebuilding. Inside of the south/west tower:

source BautzenFan!

qjone2, Titan Man, JustinHerman, erbse liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 02:34 AM   #5793
qjone2

Also, let us not forget Dresden's varied and beautiful Art Nouveau buildings, such as the one above, once located on Wilsdruffstrasse where the ... road is now ...

The same building (in line with the rest of the buildings in the street) in a 1938 map:

https://ibb.co/mun0d5

The location of that building (and as such, all others on that side of the street) today:

https://ibb.co/bN645k

The notion that Wilsdruffer Strasse would ever be so severely narrowed, is, to me, absurd. This is unless the city persues some sort of pedestrianisation of the street, but I also don't see this happening, at least not anytime soon. I've heard of main streets being widened, obviously, but never purposefully narrowed.

The prospect around the Pirnaischer Platz and surrounds isn't as bad, though. It seems a lot of the widening that occurred here can be accounted for by the larger tree/grass islands that the GDR added to give it a grand boulevard feel. If these were removed/reduced, and the streets condensed, we might have something to work with. As it stands, though, the Kaiserpalast, for example, would be right in the middle of St Petersburger Strasse.

The Georgplatz will never be restored. That I am certain of. St Petersburger Strasse, added during GDR times, cuts right through swaths of old structures there. The only way it would ever happen is if the entire surrounding area was firebombed again and the roads melted.

erbse, JustinHerman, d.henney, Fudgis liked this post

Last edited by qjone2; April 19th, 2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old April 19th, 2017, 03:03 AM   #5794
qjone2

As an aside, does anyone know of an image hosting website that is actually compatible with SkyscraperCity?

I'v tried 4 and they all fail. Imgur used to work for me, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Old April 19th, 2017, 04:33 AM   #5795
keepthepast

I use photobucket. Seems to work.

Great posts, qjone!

qjone2 liked this post
Old April 28th, 2017, 02:49 AM   #5796
qjone2

Just out of complete interest, does anyone know how much the individual historical reconstructions cost, on average? I understand that the project at the Neumarkt is privately funded, and there are probably no official numbers, but even a sketchy estimate based on prior knowledge would be much appreciated
Old April 28th, 2017, 04:04 PM   #5797
keepthepast

Is it true that Quartier V is to be build in modern fashion?
Old April 28th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #5798
jeanbaptiste

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Is it true that Quartier V is to be build in modern fashion?
A large part of it will be, against the wishes of the city council as well as the residents who have signed multiple petitions against it. The corporation is not deterred. Simply google: "Moritzhaus".

once again, corporate $$$ rules ruthlessly over the well-being of a city, its residents, and its culture. why they can't just build their little cheap plastic living-and-office-boxes outside of the historical city centre, who knows? perhaps they just want to ruin any chance of a beautiful and cohesive neumarkt.

qjone2 liked this post
jeanbaptiste no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 02:49 AM   #5799
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 718

http://transit.berkeley.edu/2016/mcfarland/

Oh God, I actually made it through this prepotent, God-awful, piece-of-s*it article without puking all over my laptop. It almost pushed me over the edge when I read the name of Peter Kulka and his rant against reconstructions, even though he has been involved in reconstruction projects in Potsdam and Dresden. What a pathetic hypocrite. I get that some people have issues with reconstructions, but this was just ridiculous. The worst thing about this article was that in all its criticism of reconstruction the author didn't bother just one bit to offer an alternative. I mean, a desire for reconstruction wasn't born without a reason, it was caused by a serious problem with German modernist architecture which was unable to offer its customers, the citizens, a satisfying living space, something that these reconstructions are able to do. I mean, you only have to search Peter Kulka on Google and you'll know what I mean. I hope I'll never see something like this in my life, and I feel sorry for the author, he is completely engrossed by his modernist dogma, he feels seriously threatened by a couple of reconstructions. He never even considers what do the citizens of Frankfurt, Dresden and Potsdam think of their new buildings, which is completely selfish. Just pathetic.

Rant over.
Old April 29th, 2017, 02:55 AM   #5800
qjone2

Quote:
why they can't just build their little cheap plastic living-and-office-boxes outside of the historical city centre, who knows? perhaps they just want to ruin any chance of a beautiful and cohesive neumarkt.
Because they want to benefit from renewed economic activity at the Neumarkt without having to actually contribute anything to its cultural revival. As such, they build as cheaply as possible (hence no reconstructions) so that their eventual profits are as great as possible. I really hope there's some kind of turn around in regards to this Quarter, given the controversy, but the group continues to arrogantly refuse any changes. This is because they have no regard for the citizens of Dresden, because they aren't Dresdeners. They just want to make money, a sad byproduct of this entire project, which has gradually become more geared towards capital.

Capital over culture (and history, and art ...)

The Eagle, Titan Man, Rohne liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen