daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 29th, 2017, 07:55 PM   #5861
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

That's exactly what I was talking about.

qjone2 liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #5862
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwood View Post
That's exactly what I was talking about.
I was thinking you were referring to basically anything politicians do ever They can be quite two-faced really – tout the sacred nature of democracy and the people's voice when it suits them, and ignore it when it doesn't
Old May 30th, 2017, 09:58 AM   #5863
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Spare the bashing of politicians. Just like with average people, there's many bad but also many good ones. Depending on the society we're talking about.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

qjone2, Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 10:05 AM   #5864
qjone2

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Spare the bashing of politicians. Just like with average people, there's many bad but also many good ones. Depending on the society we're talking about.
I'm Australian, where polls indicate that more than half the people have no faith in politics. I think you can guess what our politicians are like.

erbse liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #5865
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Just what I'm saying. Politicians almost perfectly reflect your society.
I guess you can say that you also don't have "faith" in more than half of your population, be it for their stupidity, stubbornnes, their political/religious beliefs, their corrupted/bad character, etc. It's the same over here in Görmany.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

qjone2, Zaz965 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2017, 10:32 AM   #5866
qjone2

Quote:
I guess you can say that you also don't have "faith" in more than half of your population, be it for their stupidity, stubbornnes, their political/religious beliefs, their corrupted/bad character, etc. It's the same over here in Görmany.
It's more so that we've had 6 Prime Ministers in 9 years and politics is ruled by two parties who essentially stand for the same thing (because they receive political donations from the same people) but squabble over petty things because they think its expected of them

Anyway, yes, politics is varied, lets leave this here and focus on the ongoing revival of Dresden
Old May 30th, 2017, 06:00 PM   #5867
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Ugh.

What a great time to be an American.

Not.

qjone2 liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 02:21 AM   #5868
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:

Respectfully disagree. It seems on almost every count, the political establishment has a higher rate of corruption, misuse of trust, lack of common sense, and non productiveness. But for argument sake, let's say you are right...the problem is the general population has no power or ability to control the direction of the local, regional, or national agenda. That's the issue, and hence, seems to me that we can fairly level far more complaints on politicians than the schmucks who just have to take it in the shorts. President Trump has properly labeled politicians as 'the swamp'.

robertwood liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 03:46 AM   #5869
Sister Greed U

Likes (Received): 14866

I entered here hoping to find some info or pics, and I find myself in the midst of a Skybar-like thread.

I may agree with certain points of view (not necessarily all of them), but that's not the point.

Please stay on topic.

qjone2 liked this post
437.001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2017, 04:14 AM   #5870
qjone2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 437.001 View Post
I entered here hoping to find some info or pics, and I find myself in the midst of a Skybar-like thread.

I may agree with certain points of view (not necessarily all of them), but that's not the point.

Please stay on topic.
While I agree, politics is inevitably tied up with just about everything, and to exorcise it entirely is to strip the flesh of the subject being discussed, especially when it concerns something as contentious as historical reconstructions.

Indeed, the reason you can't find the pictures/information you came looking for is because things are progressing very slowly in Dresden at the moment. Why? Because construction schedules are constantly and consistently pushed back because of petty bureaucratic squabbling and 'red tape'.

Regardless, I'll affirm again that I agree. These more generalised political debates can easily be taken to private messages or elsewhere, and I suggest they should be.

erbse liked this post
Old June 4th, 2017, 12:47 PM   #5871
Steven DL

Likes (Received): 467

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I find it gives a good overview of the developments near/at the Neumarkt in Dresden and visualizes the proposals for (re)construction.
http://www.sz-online.de/nachrichten/...t-3684798.html

qjone2 liked this post
Steven DL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 12:54 PM   #5872
Steven DL

Likes (Received): 467

And this one, on the Quartier Hoym, which will finally close a big open space in absolute proximity of the Frauenkirche:
https://www.cg-gruppe.de/immobilien/...i---2%29/20619
More info here:
http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/quartier-iii-2/

qjone2, erbse liked this post
Steven DL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #5873
Batavier
"Covfefe" ??? Enjoy!

Likes (Received): 831

That is going to be beautiful, especially if the space and courtyards of Quartier Hoym are public spaces! Really great news
Batavier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2017, 03:19 PM   #5874
qjone2

Is that old information or have plans changed? I was under the impression that the Palais Hoym was going to have a (admittedly quite nice) modern facade.
Old June 4th, 2017, 04:58 PM   #5875
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
Is that old information or have plans changed? I was under the impression that the Palais Hoym was going to have a (admittedly quite nice) modern facade.
Palays Hoym was a large complex with several courtyards and facades to different streets. The oldest part of the palais, including its facade and first courtyard towards Landhausstraße will be reconstructed like it existed pre war...

...the facade and courtyard towards Rampische Straße will however be rebuilt in modern form. Fortunately Tobias Nöfer (a reknown Berlin traditionalist architect) won the bid though.

Old June 4th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #5876
qjone2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Palays Hoym was a large complex with several courtyards and facades to different streets. The oldest part of the palais, including its facade and first courtyard towards Landhausstraße will be reconstructed like it existed pre war...

[...]

...the facade and courtyard towards Rampische Straße will however be rebuilt in modern form.
Thank you for clarifying!

I find both facades beautiful, even if I think the one on Landhausstraße is still the better of the two

The modern facade borrows classical elements that allow it to sit nicely in its environment, and yet it isn't just a watered down version of a historical building. It has its own life, and is a fluid assimilation of old and new, neither truly dominant and both adding to the whole. I think the dimension and form will especially stand out even when it is actually built, as its subtle curves catch the light.

If all of the modernist fill-ins in Dresden had been like this, I'd have nothing to complain about. I could even see it in being done in subdued baroque colours, to truly add to the ensemble.

I'm really hoping this kind of modernist building becomes popular at some point in the future, big kudos to the architect
Old June 4th, 2017, 06:12 PM   #5877
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
I'm really hoping this kind of modernist building becomes popular at some point in the future, big kudos to the architect
In Berlin, were Nöfer is from, it already has become fairly popular. Nöfer, Patzschke, Kahlfeldt, Stuhlemmer and Kollhoff, just to name some of the most influential, are already building a lot in neo traditional styles of architecture there.
Let's hope other German cities catch on fast.
Old June 4th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #5878
de flatneuroot
Lord of the Lampposts

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
I hope they don't
Old June 4th, 2017, 11:07 PM   #5879
MikkelAndersen

Likes (Received): 259

Quote:
In Berlin, were Nöfer is from, it already has become fairly popular. Nöfer, Patzschke, Kahlfeldt, Stuhlemmer and Kollhoff, just to name some of the most influential, are already building a lot in neo traditional styles of architecture there.
Agree =)
MikkelAndersen está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 01:43 AM   #5880
qjone2

Quote:
While I definitely agree, it would have to be well done. Otherwise, you have architects who have absolutely no idea what they're doing trying and failing to replicate buildings like this. This would probably be compounded by the fact that most architects today aren't taught about classical styles, forms, and proportions.

keepthepast liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen