daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old July 15th, 2017, 12:49 AM   #5941
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

We are in the "Landhaus" and are looking toward "Wilsdruffer". Who comes up with such names? Makes no sense even in German! We had some talk here about this quarter, so here some pictures. Here we see the so called "Stalin Baroque". Joseph Stalin wasn't his real name, by the way. His real name was Josef Gruenbaum from Ukraine. He thought the name was too Jewish.









Thanks, Elli Kny!
__________________

qjone2, Nemo, Notgnirracen, Steven DL, erbse and 2 others liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #5942
Spam King
Make America Great Again!
 
Spam King's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Polanco, Distrito Federal
Posts: 879
Likes (Received): 561

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
We are in the "Landhaus" and are looking toward "Wilsdruffer". Who comes up with such names? Makes no sense even in German! We had some talk here about this quarter, so here some pictures. Here we see the so called "Stalin Baroque". Joseph Stalin wasn't his real name, by the way. His real name was Josef Gruenbaum from Ukraine. He thought the name was too Jewish.
Stalin was Georgian and his birth name was Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili
__________________
In the heart of a busy metropolis skyscrapers are a vivid reminder of the constant yearning of the human spirit to rise to God


MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

qjone2, The Eagle, Tolbert, hammersklavier liked this post
Spam King no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 09:57 AM   #5943
redbaron_012
Registered User
 
redbaron_012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 11,559
Likes (Received): 3093

...but, I have been to Las Vegas...Disneyland even ? I like that many European Cities have or try to recreate what was lost yet here in Melbourne we had magnificent buildings built from the 1800's lost due to greed and redevelopment...and now never consider rebuilding or completing major structures to old plans...I like that you bring back built history and hope we can learn from that...
__________________
"Make no small plans, for they have not power to stir the blood" - Daniel H. Burnham

qjone2 liked this post
redbaron_012 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 10:11 AM   #5944
qjone2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 186
Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron_012 View Post
...but, I have been to Las Vegas...Disneyland even ? I like that many European Cities have or try to recreate what was lost yet here in Melbourne we had magnificent buildings built from the 1800's lost due to greed and redevelopment...and now never consider rebuilding or completing major structures to old plans...I like that you bring back built history and hope we can learn from that...
I'm going a bit off topic here, but whatever.

As a fellow Australian, it is sad to see how much history was destroyed in Melbourne (and all over Australia). As great a city as it is, it was Australia's most properly 'European' city.

Collins street c.1910:



Melbourne was the richest city in the world for a while, and it showed.
__________________

TM_Germany, JustinHerman liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 10:51 AM   #5945
Tiaren
Registered User
 
Tiaren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,702
Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
We are in the "Landhaus" and are looking toward "Wilsdruffer". Who comes up with such names? Makes no sense even in German! We had some talk here about this quarter, so here some pictures. Here we see the so called "Stalin Baroque". Joseph Stalin wasn't his real name, by the way. His real name was Josef Gruenbaum from Ukraine. He thought the name was too Jewish.
Were you drunk when you wrote this? The names Landhaus and Wilsdruffer Straße both make perfect sense. Landhaus derives from Landstand, a territorial estate or diet in the Holy Roman Empire and in the Middle Ages. The Landhaus was build as an administrative and tax house of the Landstand of Saxony.
Wilsdruff is the name of a nearby town and several hundred years back this was the main road leading outside Dresden to this town.
Wilsdruff might not mean anything at first in German, but that also isn't the case actually, since its name has, like many other names of cities and towns in Germany, evolved over hundreds of years. Wilsdruff derives from Wilandestorf. Torf being the old form of Dorf. Wilandes very likely has a meaning too. One would have to properly research that.
Regarding Stalin's real name and birth country you have already been corrected by another forumer.
__________________
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #5946
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Were you drunk when you wrote this? The names Landhaus and Wilsdruffer Straße both make perfect sense. Landhaus derives from Landstand, a territorial estate or diet in the Holy Roman Empire and in the Middle Ages. The Landhaus was build as an administrative and tax house of the Landstand of Saxony.
Wilsdruff is the name of a nearby town and several hundred years back this was the main road leading outside Dresden to this town.
Wilsdruff might not mean anything at first in German, but that also isn't the case actually, since its name has, like many other names of cities and towns in Germany, evolved over hundreds of years. Wilsdruff derives from Wilandestorf. Torf being the old form of Dorf. Wilandes very likely has a meaning too. One would have to properly research that.
Regarding Stalin's real name and birth country you have already been corrected by another forumer.


I did not know of course. I just thought Wilsdruff is a funny name. Don`t be so serious. But I did had some alcohol. How did You know? Lol

The story with Stalin I got completely wrong!
I checked and must have mixed up some historical figures!
Apologies to everyone for that mistake of mine.

Last edited by The Eagle; July 15th, 2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Did my homework
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 06:27 PM   #5947
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

Some construction on the "Theaterplatz"
One of three constructions is the refreshing of the Southside entrance from the Semperoper opera :



The bridge "Augustusbruecke" will be renovated. This will take longer.


And the west wing of the picture gallery "Alte Meister" is getting renovated, too:




The floor was covered with asphalt to save it. Will be uncovered later

Thanks, Elli Kny!
__________________
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 04:29 AM   #5948
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

Pirnaischer Platz






Thanks, Elli Kny!
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 06:02 PM   #5949
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

We stay in the area and move back to the Neumarkt. We will see the DDR buildings from the 50` and 60`s. The time is early Sunday morning to avoid the people a little bit.


winkipedia

This is the "Gewandhausstrasse"


The "Kreutzstrasse"


The "Weisse Gasse"


"Kreutzstrasse"The city halls back:


The Altmarkt:

Thanks, Elli Kny!
__________________
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #5950
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

Let us go inside!


A Chocolate company with store and café;


1950`s stairs.


The inner court of that building.


The "Haus Altmarkt" last winter:





The inner court. More balconies where added:

pictures from Elli Kny.
__________________

erbse, Batavier, Dr.Seltsam, JustinHerman liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 06:34 PM   #5951
keepthepast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
I did not know of course. I just thought Wilsdruff is a funny name. Don`t be so serious. But I did had some alcohol. How did You know? Lol

The story with Stalin I got completely wrong!
I checked and must have mixed up some historical figures!
Apologies to everyone for that mistake of mine.
Just keep going as you do. You're posts are a great joy to nearly everyone, and your occasional, clever tongue-in-cheek humor is precious; simply precious.
__________________
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #5952
Steven DL
Registered User
 
Steven DL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Antwerp, Köln, Dubai
Posts: 192
Likes (Received): 467

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Just keep going as you do. You're posts are a great joy to nearly everyone, and your occasional, clever tongue-in-cheek humor is precious; simply precious.



And it's great to see so many pictures of this beautiful city and ongoing reconstructions! Thank you for that!
__________________

qjone2, robertwood liked this post
Steven DL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #5953
keepthepast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 977
Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
[B]

The "Haus Altmarkt" last winter:


.
That McDonald's has been in that corner location since 1990....when everything else in the area was still in the worst of it's East German appearances. Funny how the first thing to recover Dresden's former greatness were the golden arches.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 01:57 AM   #5954
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

Thank You my friends! Best compliments ever.
The series will continue with indoor shots. The great finally will be the inside of the reopened Kulturpalst!


Altmarkt, on side the "Altmarkt Warenhaus"


Lets go back inside the "Haus Altmarkt" on the other side!


Star Inn Hotel inside




Inner court:


The inner court is getting redone. More green, no garbage cans in plain sight anymore

Thanks, Elli Kny!
__________________

qjone2, erbse liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 02:12 AM   #5955
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486







Meeting room. The light fixtures are rebuilds by the same company that build the originals in the 50`s!


Conference hall


restaurant


The Hotel rents out bikes

Thanks, Elli Kny!
__________________

qjone2, TM_Germany, erbse, Jasper90 liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #5956
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

Markthalle Café Prag. On the right hand side if you look from the Kulturpalast.



Main entrance, "Seestrasse"


1950`s design:


Here used to be a Theatre. Now used for shopping.


Extension in the back with new lift. The glass railing is broken.


The new extension in the back court.

Thanks, Elli Kny!
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 09:44 PM   #5957
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

"Markt-halle Café Prag"


The extension inside:




Old part left, new part right:


The buildings, front. (Early Sunday morning)


The buildings back side. (Literally) Upstairs the windows can be frosted by a push of a button.


Location: Lower left corner. The picture was taken prior to the extension.

Thanks, Elli Kny!
__________________

robertwood, llerena1127 liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 10:45 PM   #5958
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

Now Ladies and Gentlemen, we will take a look at the "Kulturpalast"


The water fountain changes color









Thanks, Elli Kny.
__________________

Chadoh25, Jasper90 liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #5959
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

Plans for the Kulturpalast in the 1950`s:



Looks almost Asian:




60`s and 70`s:


The Altmarkt:



Thanks, Elli Kny!
__________________
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2017, 11:01 PM   #5960
The Eagle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Halifax
Posts: 660
Likes (Received): 3486

We are getting closer to what we got;-)
The left wing is a "Parkhaus" for cars.







After the "Wendé " came a time for new ideas. This is from the 1990`s:


Socialist art: Happy people in Socialist Dresden. Called "Heiteren Reminizenzen aus Dresden"

A collage from the 1970`s. Made by the Airplane works of Dresden. (That is why fighter jets are going up)



Thanks, Elli Kny.
__________________

Batavier, Fudgis, Tolbert, llerena1127 liked this post
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu