daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 19th, 2017, 03:57 PM   #5961
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
Plans for the Kulturpalast in the 1950`s:

Looks almost Asian:

60`s and 70`s:

The Altmarkt:

Thanks, Elli Kny!
any of these would be better than the Walmart version we got.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 19th, 2017, 05:39 PM   #5962
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3490

For everyone's enjoyment we will go back to the 28th of April this year. That day our major opened the Kulturpalast, witch looks apparently like Walmart. Who know that the Sowjets tried to be funny!
After that, we will take a tour inside.

The fountain where off for the event.

Different theatre directors and the major:

This picture shows one of the metal doors. The doors show the different stages and history of the town. I will try to get some pictures.

Here the doors I talked about. That first hour for invited guests. So, we come back in a couple of days.

Thanks, Elli Kny.
The Eagle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #5963
The Eagle

And we are back after a couple of days. (;-)

The "Herkuleskeule" called musical group started moving into their new home.

Cross the whole town; here on the "Annenstrasse". Many children followed the "Zug" with excitement!

Arrival by the Kulturpalast, with major and all. All this moving happed at a different day.

The happy and unhappy faces come to be for the "theatre" purpose. Well then:

Come on; You happy and unhappy smiles! Go inside that I can have my pictures. I have an appointment at the Cake-lady with some coffee!

Thanks, Elli Kny!
Turns out: Entering the premises still not possible! Those Dresdner!
Old July 19th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #5964
The Eagle

Because this major of yours would not move out of the doorframe I decided to come back later:

All lamps are turned on. Also the fountains are on and change colors:

Eventually the major can not stay in that doorframe all the time. Maybe he noticed that there are more doors. After all, he is the major to figure it out!
So, finally inside. The two concert halls where locked. Pictures of them at a different time. This is the lobby. Pictures are difficult with all the crisscross walkers.

The stairs where refurbished. The glass in the railing is new. The dilemma: The railings have to be higher with new regulations.

Foyer direction Altmarkt:

Catering and food vending station:

pictures, Elli Kny!

Roy Corduroy, Jasper90, Fudgis liked this post
Old July 19th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #5965
The Eagle

The ceiling patterns and lamps are under heritage protection and had to stay. Looks good:

Eastern staircase, 2nd floor:

The second floor foyer with the entrance to the central library and coat check in.

The Palast is very spacious.

The Altmarkt with "Maibaum-fest" celebrations.

We just have been in all of these:

Now, we are in the south-west corner. Here is the Central library.

Thanks, Elli Kny.

AMS guy liked this post
Old July 19th, 2017, 07:01 PM   #5966
The Eagle

The corners of this palace have found usage for bookshelves. One has to go up or down for the next shelve. First time I see this.

This is the Newspaper Room. Newspapers from around the world are here to take. This is the back wall of the palace. The ceiling is spectacular.

Alt-stadt outside

The next staircase. There must be at least four staircases! Have not seen the lifts jet.

Ground floor again looking east.

Stairs to the coat check in and washrooms.

And we end our over one week tour at the back of the Culture Palace, aka the Kultur Palast. Thank You to everyone. I hope, this answered some questions.

Thank you for pictures, Elli Kny!
Old July 19th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #5967
Bosi

Likes (Received): 71

I must say that's quite a face lift, and I guess its a bittersweet topic but thanks for posting the photos Eagle! Nonetheless impressed
Bosi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:36 PM   #5968
keepthepast

"face lift"? I didn't realize Michael Jackson's doctor has relocated to Dresden.

Bosi, robertwood, Wiederschönmachung liked this post
Old July 21st, 2017, 08:13 AM   #5969
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

I doubt any Wallmart looks as good as this!
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 08:27 AM   #5970
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

The interiors of the Kulturpalast have always looked pretty good, it's the outside I don't like ...
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2017, 09:02 AM   #5971
Tolbert

Quote:
Plans for the Kulturpalast in the 1950`s:

Looks almost Asian:

Thanks, Elli Kny!
Who ever made this model, had absolutely no idea how the Building would look like. Its more likely a loose interpretation than anything else and i assume this was done to give it a "bad" look because it is a historistic design...

qjone2 liked this post
Old July 21st, 2017, 09:16 AM   #5972
qjone2

If only there had been the funds to build the Kulturpalast as it was originally conceived. It would have been an amazing addition to Dresden's architectural heritage.

Quote:
Who ever made this model, had absolutely no idea how the Building would look like.
The model seems pretty simplified, most likely because few (if any) comprehensive records of the original design remain.
Old July 21st, 2017, 10:03 AM   #5973
Tolbert

Of course its simplyfied because its just a model, but that doesnt mean there was need to change dimensions and the design of the towers to make it look like a fantasy castle!

The lack of records of the original design aren't a reason to make it the way it looks. It is after all a neobaroque design and it would look way better if the modeler just used the well known baroue design principles on which the design was originaly based. Instead he used larger domes and completely changed towers on the corner pavillons which are entirerly out of proprtion and misdesigned. This was done either intentional or because of a total lack of knowledge.

Last edited by Tolbert; July 21st, 2017 at 10:10 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:47 PM   #5974
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3224

Quote:
Really nice view! I like the Altmarkt as it looks today. Not as beautiful as before the war but not as bad as many people think.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 07:33 PM   #5975
Joe Whalen 7

Likes (Received): 128

Kruzkirche

It would seem to me that at some point Dresden would want to sandblast or otherwise refinish the exterior of the Kruzkirche. Its blackened exterior must still look like it did in 1945. These days, it sticks out like a sore thumb with all of the rebuilding and refurbishing in the area.
Joe Whalen 7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2017, 08:14 PM   #5976
Saxonia

Likes (Received): 7404

We discussed this several times already. The blackening of elb sandstone is a natural process and a matter of decades. The Kreuzkirche was black already before the bombings and I don't see the point in making it look brand new artificially. Besides it is not that easy, one would probably destroy more than acceptable.
Old July 26th, 2017, 02:35 PM   #5977
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Whalen 7 View Post
It would seem to me that at some point Dresden would want to sandblast or otherwise refinish the exterior of the Kruzkirche. Its blackened exterior must still look like it did in 1945. These days, it sticks out like a sore thumb with all of the rebuilding and refurbishing in the area.
As noted, the blackened appearance is a chemical reaction that actually changes the composition of the material. To adjust would cause damage to the already affected surfaces. Sort of like scarring of skin never regains its original attributes.

I would be far more pleased if they would restore the interior to its former appearance. The outside looks as it would (essentially) had no war damage occurred, but the interior is a sad and minimalist reflection of the former look.

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #5978
Titan Man
Ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-nana

Likes (Received): 719

Well, weren't some of Zwinger's pavillons cleaned in the last couple of years? Personally, I'm a fan of shiny, clean and restored historical buildings, but if a proper cleaning can't be done to Dresden's buildings, I'm okay with them as they are.
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #5979
qjone2

Is it possible to seal sandstone after its installation, so as to prevent oxidisation (and thus the blackening of the stone)? If so (and if possible), I would be in favour of a cleaning of facades.

Precision laser-cleaning could probably clean the facades with very minimal damage to the stone. The best example of this can be seen in Amiens Cathedral, which was restored in the 1990s

Before:

After:

The process is slow, though, and took nearly a decade in this particular case.

Titan Man liked this post
Old July 27th, 2017, 05:04 AM   #5980
keepthepast

The earlier photo shows a facade that looks pretty fantastic with limited darkening. Could it have been different stone with different composition properties? The old/surviving buildings in Dresden are almost totally black--Kreuzkirche, Dreikonigkirche, Martin Luther Kirche, etc.

robertwood liked this post

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen