daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2017, 11:37 PM   #6081
Wiederschönmachung
Heil, Kaiser, dir!

Likes (Received): 43

The reconstruction of Palais Oppenheim in Dresden is being discussed again. Designed by the one and only Gottfried Semper, who also designed the still standing Semperoper in Dresden, the original building was constructed between 1845 and 1848 in Neo-Renaissance style for Martin Wilhelm Oppenheim, a Jewish banker who used to live in the palace with his family. Martin's daughter, Elisabeth, and her husband, the Dresden painter August Grahl, lived together in the palace after they got married. The Oppenheim family (after whom the palace is named, quite obviously) maintained close ties with scientists and artists of that time, and the palace quickly became a meeting place of the fine Dresden society. On February 13th 1945, allied bombs damaged the palace, but the outer walls remained until 1951, when, despite efforts by monument conservationist Hans Nadler to prevent it, the communists demolished its remains to make room for a commie abomination that was never built. GHND and Stadtbild Deutschland are supporting the reconstruction (quite obviously), but as usual, the zombies are dead against it. For one, Peter Kulka "sees no place for the reconstruction of individual buildings" in that area. Also, Immovation, the investor who wants to build a residential district in the area, is opposed to the reconstruction. Time to get dirty again...
See article here (in German).

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #6082
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Always the commies!

kaspis liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 05:16 PM   #6083
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Current Neumarkt aerial - finally the square is getting a complete and harmonious look&feel, and the Kulturpalast is hidden!

http://bilder.bild.de/fotos/der-blic...ild/2.bild.jpg

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #6084
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

What a great joy.

In the distant bit of haze, even the new buildings on the south of the Altmarkt look good.

At this point, maybe the solution to further hide the hideous kulturpalast is a closely planted, low branching, hedge row of tall trees on the south and west sides.

robertwood, erbse liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 04:23 PM   #6085
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiederschönmachung View Post
So now it's generalization that bothers you. Originally, thing was that I was overreacting, ...
No, my point was, that your post was full of blind hatred, that of course includes overreacting and generalization! This is no tone to do any discussion!

I understand you're hatred, but you might consider a more moderate tone for your postings.

As you said, back to topic now.
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 05:48 PM   #6086
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

What a great joy.

In the distant bit of haze, even the new buildings on the south of the Altmarkt look good.

At this point, maybe the solution to further hide the hideous kulturpalast is a closely planted, low branching, hedge row of tall trees on the south and west sides.
A better solution would be to implode it. With it out of the way, Neumarkt could be reconstructed all the way to Willsdrufer Strasse. A win-win for all!
Old November 21st, 2017, 06:37 PM   #6087
tijuano en el df
rodrigo

Likes (Received): 129

I visited Dresden last august, and I loved it. It feels like a town out of fantasy. I hope they keep up the good reconstruction work.

Tiaren, Dr.Seltsam liked this post
tijuano en el df no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2017, 06:44 PM   #6088
The Blond Guy

Likes (Received): 142

In General i'm not for modern architecture at all. ( Although i don't 'hate' it, i like certain, good designed buildings.)

But this obsession with the kulturpalast is ridiculous. Ok, it would have been better if it was never build. But it's not THAT bad. And with the urban grid restored around it it's not visible from everywhere and starting to get its place in the altstadt. I've been to Dresden multiple times this building is not the thing that bothered me in this city.

People should better focus on making something of the postplatz and all the other places where the 'altstadt' stops abruptly than whine about the kulturpalast.

Tolbert, Steven DL, Dr.Seltsam liked this post
The Blond Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 02:23 AM   #6089
robertwood

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blond Guy View Post
In General i'm not for modern architecture at all. ( Although i don't 'hate' it, i like certain, good designed buildings.)

But this obsession with the kulturpalast is ridiculous. Ok, it would have been better if it was never build. But it's not THAT bad. And with the urban grid restored around it it's not visible from everywhere and starting to get its place in the altstadt. I've been to Dresden multiple times this building is not the thing that bothered me in this city.

People should better focus on making something of the postplatz and all the other places where the 'altstadt' stops abruptly than whine about the kulturpalast.
The problem with the kulturpalast is that it is so out of place and so out of scale with its surroundings. True the building is not that bad by itself--somewhere else. The place has just had a bunch of money put into it so its not going anywhere anytime soon. You are just seeing the frustration of people who see a lost opportunity to bring back some of what was lost.

qjone2, Spam King, Steven DL liked this post
robertwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2017, 05:08 PM   #6090
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHerman View Post
A better solution would be to implode it. With it out of the way, Neumarkt could be reconstructed all the way to Willsdrufer Strasse. A win-win for all!
Unfortuntely, getting rid of the Kulturpalast wouldn't really do anything. The problem is that Wilsdruffer Straße itself was widened significantly after the war. At best the demolition of the Kulturpalast would give another half-block. The old streetscape just isn't there anymore.
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2017, 07:19 PM   #6091
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
Unfortuntely, getting rid of the Kulturpalast wouldn't really do anything. The problem is that Wilsdruffer Straße itself was widened significantly after the war. At best the demolition of the Kulturpalast would give another half-block. The old streetscape just isn't there anymore.
If the two buildings to the right of the Kulturpalast were also demolished, just think of what could be realized:

erbse, Torontonia liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #6092
Steven DL

Likes (Received): 467

Just some more recent picture of the construction at the Neumarkt (Palais City One):

Quelle: Elli Kny, Deutsches Architekturforum
Old November 28th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #6093
zerosixdesign

Likes (Received): 7

Thank you for the new photos . Love this reconstruction. I cannot wait to visit once it's all done and enjoy it.

Steven DL liked this post
zerosixdesign no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 12:28 AM   #6094
qjone2

Likes (Received): 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfThomp View Post
If the two buildings to the right of the Kulturpalast were also demolished, just think of what could be realized
Again, not that much. No blocks could be completed and hence any reconstructions would be very limited and only serve to create an awkward space.

I suggest viewing this and comparing the old maps with the layout of the streetscape today ('Stadtplan 1911/38' with 'Luftbild Heute'):

http://altesdresden.de/index.htm?get_haus=sche019

Wilsdruffer Straße is literally 3 times as wide, mostly to the north (i.e. the Neumarkt).

erbse liked this post
qjone2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2017, 07:38 PM   #6095
The Eagle

Likes (Received): 3486

Welcome back everyone!

I finally managed to get interior pictures of one of the biggest buildings at the Neumarkt area: The Police Headquarters! Build in Gruenderstil / Neo historical.
That took me quite some time now! Anyway, enjoy;

An old picture with the Stasi Plattenbau attached to it.

The Stasi-Plattenbau was removed around 2004

Could look like this tomorrow;

source: Google Bilder

Now, let`s go inside;

There are three inner courts. One is 100% original, the two others have this modern in the middle. It replaced a build from the 60`s.

This is the west foyer and stairs. Open to the public on the buildings birthday, once a year or so.

And now to the other construction plot, quarter VII - 1. The basements have been filled in for the winter. The project seems to have been blessed by our Pope!

Thanks Elli Kny!
Old November 29th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #6096
SonOfThomp

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjone2 View Post
Again, not that much. No blocks could be completed and hence any reconstructions would be very limited and only serve to create an awkward space.

I suggest viewing this and comparing the old maps with the layout of the streetscape today ('Stadtplan 1911/38' with 'Luftbild Heute'):

http://altesdresden.de/index.htm?get_haus=sche019

Wilsdruffer Straße is literally 3 times as wide, mostly to the north (i.e. the Neumarkt).
I am aware of the change, but reconstructions could be done anyway, with minor alterations, and would fully define the boundaries of the reconstructed area.
It would also make space to reconstruct the Palais de Saxe, backing up to the Englischer Hotel.

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
SonOfThomp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #6097
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

It of course would be nice if the street layouts were more original, but given what we have to work with on that aspect, I agree the buildings could be redesigned to fit the space...and the historic appearance.

by the by, the change in Wilsdruffer Str is far less offensive, to me, than St Petersburger Str and Marien Str/Wall Str, both of which make the abomination of the kulturpalast seem almost pleasing by comparison.

Wiederschönmachung liked this post
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #6098
Tolbert

Likes (Received): 1607

The Eagle, may i ask you, where you're from actually ?

You're posting so many fotos of Dresden. Are you residing there? Or are you living in Canada and the Fotos you post are found in the internet?

Last edited by Tolbert; November 30th, 2017 at 01:48 PM.
Tolbert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 02:13 PM   #6099
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

The latter, from what I understood... He's also posting loads of findings from Potsdam.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #6100
JustinHerman

Likes (Received): 169

How surprising. His posts always give me the impression that he lives in Potsdam. But wherever he lives, reading his diligent posts here and in other threads always makes me feel like I'm right there, right now.

(Eagle, we're talking about you, you know. ;-) )

SonOfThomp, keepthepast, City Cityzen liked this post
JustinHerman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen