daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #881
Elvenking

Likes (Received): 2548

Beautiful pics
City was almost 100% destroyed in 45' so it's amazing how you managed to rebuild it. I wish Warsaw was rebulit like that

Although houses look bit artifficial, the amount of work you've put in them deserves the highest respect
"A pan myślisz, że chaotyczne kombinacje efemerycznych pryncypiów są w stanie zdeterminować neutralną cywitatywę absolutnego relatywizmu immanentno-transcendentalnej solipsystycznej jaźni? Tak czy nie?! Gadaj pan!!!"
Elvenking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #882
joamox

Likes (Received): 474

The new buildings look a bit plasticky I have to say, but hopefully and supposedly the effect of this will recede with time. Its just brick and plasterwork right?, so I guess all buildings of this kind look this when they are brand new.
I really think efforts of reconstruction like this is worthy applauding though, as I hope it might tear down the dogma, current among modern architects, that lost architecture cannot and should not be reconstructed.

My book on historic Oslo is available in Norwegian bookshops and online, click here.

Mexichino blog, featuring information on architecture in London, Paris, Rome, Scandinavia and a whole bunch of other places
Now-and-then photo collection on Mexichino Flickr
joamox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #883
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5821

Quote:
Originally Posted by joamox View Post
The new buildings look a bit plasticky I have to say, but hopefully and supposedly the effect of this will recede with time. Its just brick and plasterwork right?, so I guess all buildings of this kind look this when they are brand new.
I really think efforts of reconstruction like this is worthy applauding though, as I hope it might tear down the dogma, current among modern architects, that lost architecture cannot and should not be reconstructed.
I think its funny. People as it seems don't know how the old buildings of today look like when newly built. Maybe Las Vegas style projects have blurred the view on this, where buildings are fake, but look already from the 1st day on like standing around already for a long time. A real building I think does not have to fake age. Age will come all by itself.

Highcliff liked this post
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:16 PM   #884
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Let's take a closer look at the recently finished Neumarkt buildings

Heinrich-Schütz-Residenz - Colored oriel with original pre-war fragments

Köhlersches Haus - Rococo-style emblem ornaments above the portal (also original fragments, not finished on this picture)

Source: German APH-Forum

For more photos, news (in German) and other stuff regarding reconstruction projects like this - take a look at
the historic architecture-related APH-Forum (Architectura Pro Homine).

That's the page Kampfy and me take all the marvellous photos from.
Just wanted to point that out again, to give no one the idea those would be taken by us

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM   #885
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

IMO this new building looks decent. I only hate the boring grey color that they chose.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #886
mark1100

Likes (Received): 798

There has been a nice report about dredens neumarkt 2 days ago on zdf. Also included other projects in Germany, such as the castle of the Prussian King in Berlins Central.

The Neumarkt needs to get a bit dirty and then noone will realize that its completely new.
mark1100 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 05:05 PM   #887
mark1100

Likes (Received): 798

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFmediathek/content/625848

Here u can watch it.
mark1100 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #888
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3218

Thank you for the link!
Very interesting videos!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 02:36 AM   #889
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4198

Hope to visits Dresden this winter. Last time was 8 years ago. Should have changed substantially since then. The Neumarkt looks so nice.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM   #890
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
IMO this new building looks decent. I only hate the boring grey color that they chose.
I like it though. I wish such architecture apeared in my town. Anyway it doesn't look THAT bad around the Neu Markt - it's rather in the back corner than in the center. There was another contemporary style building that I really enjoyed. It was greish-red and curved.
Anyway, I want to say Congratulations for realising the project and making it alive.
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:10 PM   #891
erbse
LIBERTINED

Update - Dresdner Neumarkt Reconstruction Project

Fresh cartload of Neumarkt impressions!

Source: Harmonica, APH-Forum

Old November 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM   #892
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

The last pic shows excavations for the British Hotel, right?

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #893
erbse
LIBERTINED

British Hotel at Quartier IV

Judging by the buildings in the background, ja - that's the basement of the former and future British Hotel.

I'm pretty excited about that project.

Visualizations by Andreas Hummel:

Source

This guy also had a great website, but I can't find it anymore. Do you know what I'm talking about?

For more information: Gesellschaft Historischer Neumarkt - Page about the British Hotel

Old November 16th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #894
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 26

The good news is the magnificent Facade will be rebuilt, again using what bits they can find left over.

Quote:
aar, 29 June 2007 – By the end of 2008, a new Hapimag resort will arise in the vicinity of the world-famous Church of Our Lady in Dresden. The building is an ambitious project since the facade will faithfully reproduce the original British Hotel that was destroyed in 1945.
At the end of 2008, Hapimag will open another resort in Dresden containing 34 apartments. It will be the 11th Hapimag city resort.
Site purchased
On 2 April, the finance committee of the City of Dresden gave the go-ahead for the purchase of the site at Landhausstrasse 6. The property will be transferred to the ownership of Hapimag once building permission is granted for the new resort. Hapimag will submit its building application before the summer holidays and hopes to start building work in the autumn.
Historical facade – historical vaulted cellars
The site where the new Hapimag resort will stand by the end of 2008 is the former location of the British Hotel. The building had an unusually monumental facade for its time. It was totally destroyed during a bombing raid on 13 February 1945. It is known that parts of the historical vaulted cellars are located on the present site. The extent of the vaults is larger than expected. Hapimag has undertaken to reconstruct the facade in every detail on the new building and to restore the vaulted cellars. This work will be performed in close cooperation with the Regional Office for the Preservation of Historic Monuments and the City Planning Office.

At present it is unclear what function the renovated vaulted cellars could assume. One possibility would be to use it as a place for storing, tasting and perhaps selling wine. Hapimag will join forces with architects from IPRO Dresden to develop draft plans for a utilisation concept for the historic cellar walls.

Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2008, 10:29 PM   #895
el_barto

Likes (Received): 18

When we can expect the end of restoration ?
el_barto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:14 PM   #896
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_barto View Post
When we can expect the end of restoration ?
Nobody knows yet. There's still alot to do/restore. Might take another decade or even longer to finish rebuilding just the Neumarkt area...
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #897
Filip01
Pilanin

They should really extend that itno the Altmarkt area and so on
Old November 19th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #898
el_barto

Likes (Received): 18

Are they going to restore something more than just Neumarkt ? Who pays for that ?
el_barto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #899
Filip01
Pilanin

Who would care
Old November 19th, 2008, 09:57 PM   #900
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_barto View Post
Are they going to restore something more than just Neumarkt ? Who pays for that ?
No doesn't seem so.
Maybe the old Belvedere on Brühlsche Terasse.
http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...20041116052747
But only proposed so far.

You have to know, that it's a little wonder, that so much of the Neumarkt was finally reconstructed. The City of Dresden (not the inhabitants of Dresden but politicians) are not in favor of reconstructions.

Here the up do date Map of Neumarkt (edited by me):

green: planned
dark orange: already completed
light orange: under construction right now
light orange framed: construction starts soon
red framed: should really be demolished!!! But not in the near future...

Last edited by Tiaren; November 19th, 2008 at 10:30 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen