daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #921
el_barto

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federicoft View Post
Well, it's not that easy. Just as an example out of many: most of Milan was lost in WW2. This is how it looked before the war, when it was probably one of the finest city in Europe, this is how it looks now (and many other cities suffered extensive damages too).

Most people think it's the ugliest city in Italy, still I'm so happy it wasn't rebuilt as it was.
A city should find its identity in the present rather than longing for a past that was beautiful, but doesn't exist anymore, and nobody can give you back.
Maybe some people want to have their own cities looking the way they were looking before. Mostl of Italy was not destroyed during II WW so you can take benefits from being old and etc. etc. but some cities like for instance Dresden can only benefit from being beautiful (what doesn't mean to be truly old). However in my opinion german cities before the war were way more bautiful than any other cities for example italians, french or spanish and they should be restored (at least in the old centre areas). And I myself would prefer to go to the restored Dresden than truly old Rome or Neapol -if I have to decide (I've been in both places). I find them just simply more bautiful and -what is also important- way more cleaner !
So as You can see for some people it's more important how city looks than how old it is . And the thing is with german people that they really take care of their own cities and I'm impressed with that, but italians do nothing about it. Their cities are full of garbage. They are dirty and stinky. It is also very important to take care of your own country. It is something what many cuntries have to learn. For instance Italy, POland, Hungary, Romania etc. etc.
If you feel offened with things I've written here then sorry but I've mentioned only my own opinions which are based on my own experience and observations.
el_barto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:28 PM   #922
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

I don't mind if they are fake buildings (which they are not, because they have four walls, a roof and you can live inside)! They're beautiful and fit better to this place than any other "real" architecture. So I am happy and wish for much more fakeconstructions.

Last edited by Tiaren; November 25th, 2008 at 05:36 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #923
Federicoft

Likes (Received): 4339

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_barto View Post
If you feel offened with things I've written here then sorry but I've mentioned only my own opinions which are based on my own experience and observations.
I didn't get offended at all, why should I? We have way too many tourists, we need less and just those with money. It would be nice if some of them would be attracted by unhistorical reconstructions in other countries.

Last edited by Federicoft; November 25th, 2008 at 05:42 PM.
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:50 PM   #924
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5472

Fede, probably you live in a city like Rome, that looks the same way as it was 1/2/300 years ago. I live in Milan where almast doesn't look the same as it was 60 years ago... In Milan many people would like to see many places re-built, like many churches and other palazzi.
Here in Dresden they used fragments found in ruins to rebuild buildings and where this parts of fragments weren't found they built a new palace, in proportion with the replica, but completly modern.
I visited Dresden this summer and i didn't feel like in Disneyland. I was very exited!

(sorry for my bad english )

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - MilÓn l'era inscý

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Skymino; November 28th, 2008 at 01:00 AM.
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM   #925
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
A city should find its identity in the present rather than longing for a past that was beautiful, but doesn't exist anymore, and nobody can give you back.
As you can see, with the example of Dresden, it's very possible to get the town's soul and atmosphere back after 60 yrs or so. I agree, that our towns should change every day, and they really do! But for some reasons, people made up a thing called "heritage place", "monument' or whatever, any other word is ok. That's why some places, valuable because of historical reasons shoud be first of all preserved, and second of all reconstructed. This is really important since you make a space in town, which is very "human-scale" and human-friendly, that people really admire (otherwise, there won't be so many tourists visiting churches, castles, or old towns from Medieval times or even earlier ones), but also it is very important for some symbolical meaning. After having an awful town, full of commieblocks they are tring in Dresden to make something that is new, but was and will be there for ever at the same time. What I mean is that Dresden is making it's own atmosphere (look at the Prague Street for example), but rebuilding a part of it's history as a symbol.
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #926
el_barto

Quote:
I didn't get offended at all, why should I? We have way too many tourists, we need less and just those with money. It would be nice if some of them would be attracted by unhistorical reconstructions in other countries.
But what I think makes Italy so special is not architecture but climate. Most of people go there because of warm sea etc etc So you can expect always a vast number of tourists In countries like Germany or Poland sea is almost always cold so people go to polish or german towns because of their old building mostly .Not because they want to swim or have a sunbath
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:00 PM   #927
Federicoft

Likes (Received): 4339

Yeah, right now it's snowing over half of the country. Yesterday low in Milan: -5C. So pleasant weather to have a sunbath. All the turists around here have surely come to do that.

Last edited by Federicoft; November 25th, 2008 at 07:10 PM.
Federicoft no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #928
Filip01
Pilanin

Oh shut up. I don't know anyone who wouldn't like to see the Colosseum or take a ride in Venice canals or whatever. Anyway - it's very popular for France for example to go to Paris and Loar Valley for one week - for visiting only, and then the second week on the Blue or Lazur Coast (I mean the south coast of France) and sunbathe, rest, have some leisure.
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:30 PM   #929
el_barto

You shut up. I thought it's obvious that north of Italy is cold , but You cannot deny that south is hot almost all the time. I also didn't mention Colosseum or Venice because everybody knows them and their potential is undeniable ! If you just wanted tho show how smart you are I can just clap my hands for you ! Bravo ! What a wise guy !!!
Old November 25th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #930
Darryl

Likes (Received): 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
I don't mind if they are fake buildings (which they are not, because they have four walls, a roof and you can live inside)! They're beautiful and fit better to this place than any other "real" architecture. So I am happy and wish for much more fakeconstructions.
I'm with Tiaren. I don't care if people think they are "fake" or not. They look nice. End of story.

I'd rather my city be full of pretty "fake" buildings than boring ugly ones.
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #931
Filip01
Pilanin

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_barto View Post
You shut up.
That was supposed to be the 'nice-shut up' but probablu it came up like rude shut up. Sorry anyway, I shouldn't have said that.

But coming back to the 'fakeness' of the buildings. Acctually, you can say that all of XIX-century buildings are fake, since it's just a revival of old styles. There are for example many neo-gothich churches. Even the Cahedral in Koln was being finished througout the XIX-century.
Old November 26th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #932
el_barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip01 View Post
That was supposed to be the 'nice-shut up' but probablu it came up like rude shut up. Sorry anyway, I shouldn't have said that.

But coming back to the 'fakeness' of the buildings. Acctually, you can say that all of XIX-century buildings are fake, since it's just a revival of old styles. There are for example many neo-gothich churches. Even the Cahedral in Koln was being finished througout the XIX-century.

Ok - no roblem. You've made yourself clear and I forgive you-misunderstanding-it happens
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #933
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3224

I love it!
Ok...I guess it's true that some building look a little bit strange but that is because of the brand new paint! In a few years it will look totally normal.
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:11 AM   #934
catoneinutica

Likes (Received): 1

A tale of two Northern Italian cities:

Milan (modern architecture) = hell
Venice ("historical" architecture) = heaven

(Obviously Venice's natural setting does it no harm, but Milan really is a dark, brooding, modernist nightmare. Check out the Prada HQ.)

Okay, back to Dresden! I actually think some of the older reconstructions, like the Zwinger, have a bit TOO much patina, and could use a hosing down, like they do in Paris. Some of the old timers are nearly black.
catoneinutica no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #935
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

Back to Dresden - Period!

British Hotel (click for info) - They'll keep the original basement of the building (that used to harbour many people while Dresden was bombed) - they renovate it and use it as a wine cellar or smth like that

Rampische Stra▀e (behind the muggy construction site that you can see in the foreground) - some reconstructions with modern fillers at this street

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 02:38 PM   #936
Filip01
Pilanin

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
They'll keep the original basement of the building (that used to harbour many people while Dresden was bombed) - they renovate it and use it as a wine cellar or smth like that
This is marvellous news! Great to hear that. I need to start making some plans to visit the whole town at last.
Old November 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM   #937
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Rendering of the hotel in Erbse's last pic:

One reconstruction, huge hotel, another reconstruction and apparently another new building.

In and by itself it's not that bad but it looks quite out of place among the baroque beauties.

'Tis the season...

image hosted on flickr

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Last edited by Kampflamm; November 29th, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 08:54 PM   #938
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57899

Rampische Stra▀e - Some additional views of the street where they're gonna build the hotel (see Kampflamm's post):

Source: *****************

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #939
Darryl

Any current photos of the Neumarkt all dressed up for Christmas? Doesn't Dresden have a famous Christmas market? Is it on Neumarkt? Or another square? If anyone has photos that would be appreciated!
Darryl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:03 PM   #940
KoolKeatz
█████████

The christmas market (called Striezelmarkt) is on Altmarkt:

I wont call if famous, at least not as famous as the Christkindlmarkt in Nuremberg.
KoolKeatz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen