daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #981
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Due to the economic crisis, many things are on hold. A construction stop for the British Hotel was announced last friday and the Hotel Stadt Rom is on hold as well. Guess we won't see that many updates over the next few months.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #982
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5468

I know it's quite a problem worldwide... even here in Milan we have problem to rise money for the EXPO... anyway i hope money and works start soon.

But are the buildings constructed by private owners or are they built by governative company?

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era inscì
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #983
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye Reloaded View Post
Don´t be so kleinkariert. This thread won´t die when someone posts one or two reconstruction projects from another city.
Of course this thread won't die...but c'mon, what's so difficult about opening a new thread?
It's just one click!
Plus the section "Classic Architecture and Landscapes" in the European Forum is nearly dead aside from 5 threads, so it would make sense to open new threads. I would love to see a thread about reconstructions in Amsterdam!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #984
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3218

BTW: Thank you for the great update, Kampflamm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Due to the economic crisis, many things are on hold. A construction stop for the British Hotel was announced last friday and the Hotel Stadt Rom is on hold as well. Guess we won't see that many updates over the next few months.
This is really sad!
Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 03:52 PM   #985
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymino View Post
I know it's quite a problem worldwide... even here in Milan we have problem to rise money for the EXPO... anyway i hope money and works start soon.

But are the buildings constructed by private owners or are they built by governative company?
They're built by private investors. The problem with Quartier VIII for example is that the creditor backed out a couple of weeks ago so they're now looking for a new bank. Hopefully this will delay the start of construction by "only" 6-9 months.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old February 10th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #986
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5468

Thanks. Hope so.

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era inscì
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 12:27 AM   #987
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymino View Post

Same here in Indianapolis.
Many projects are on hold, but I'm not too upset, they are mostly post-modern designs that are really ugly.
The new buildings designed in classic styles(one is in art deco!) were just finished in time!

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #988
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

great

Dresden is such a great city, Its inspirational how well the projects have come together. I live in Calgary and it too has seen its building boom come to a hault due to the economic conditions, although I like the quality and craftsmanship of the building in Dresden vs. the size and monotony of the building in Calgary.

Thanks to all for the Pics - keep up the good work its great to follow progress untill I get a chance to visit again!
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #989
-=JAG=-

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Update:
British Hotel:
Quartier II...bit of a monstrosity:
General overview:
Contrasts:
Dresden Castle...one of the courtyards is now covered by a pretty nice looking roof:

Source: Harmonica & DarkVision (APH-Forum)

Very nice!!!
-=JAG=- no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:39 PM   #990
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Only a few buildings seem to look like the ones that used to stand in the old photographs. Why cant they reconstruct them all exactly as they used to be? Most of these new buildings are a kind of simulacrum of their former selves, with a profusion of multi-colored pastels slapped on the facades to prettify the illusion.

Warsaw is a good example of what they could have done in Dresden. I’m not 100% sure on this but the technique they used in Warsaw was something known as “antiqueing”. Is this right? It is a process by which the buildings are not only reconstructed as they stood before the war, but also gives their facades a patina that make them seem centuries old. In Dresden the glossy new buildings give me the initial impression of having been thrown up overnight.

And yet, I agree with one of the early posts. Cant remember which, but that one said “I would rather have pretty fake ones to look at, than the ugly old ones.” or something to that effect. Very true.

Also, considering who the perpetrators of the firestorm were, I think that the ‘British Hotel’, however historic the institution was, is just vulgar.
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #991
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5821

Waco: Come on. Do you want a Disney Land? Because thats exactly what you are suggesting. New buildings are looking new. Thats the way it is usually. Also old style buildings look new when they are built. They also did back then when they were. Making them artificially look older is Las Vegas style.

Dresdens Neumarkt does not have to pretend to have been never harmed. The patina will come by itself anyway and I like the concept behind it, as wounds take time to heal, thats represented very well by a reemerging patina.

You probably would have hated Vienna in the baroque age probably. All those new looking baroque buildings... looking like thrown up overnight.

Last edited by erbse; July 29th, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #992
william of waco

Slartibartfas,

I repeat :

"Warsaw is a good example of what they could have done in Dresden. I’m not 100% sure on this but the technique they used in Warsaw was something known as “antiqueing”. Is this right? It is a process by which the buildings are not only reconstructed as they stood before the war, but also gives their facades a patina that make them seem centuries old."

Are you suggesting that Dresden was already Disneyesque before it burned to the ground?

And it's spelled SlartibartFAST. Or were you just being quirky?
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #993
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

It doesn't make more sense if you repeat it.

I have to agree with Slarti, buildings that pretend to be aged are dull. That's something they do in theme parks and I definitely don't want this for Dresden.

Only time will tell. Patina is a thing of a buildings history, it's not necessary to anticipate its history.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #994
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by william of waco View Post
Slartibartfas,

I repeat :

"Warsaw is a good example of what they could have done in Dresden. I’m not 100% sure on this but the technique they used in Warsaw was something known as “antiqueing”. Is this right? It is a process by which the buildings are not only reconstructed as they stood before the war, but also gives their facades a patina that make them seem centuries old."
I got it already before what you mean. Repeating it does not add anything to this thread.
Quote:
Are you suggesting that Dresden was already Disneyesque before it burned to the ground?
No. But I also don't like stone washed jeans. Its stupid. Old jeans look old because they are used, at least thats what they happened to do long time ago. Buildings with Patina have it because they are used, thats still by far and large the case and I would like to keep it also this way.

Patina itself is not disneyesque. Artificially adding Patina is. Apart from that is it pretty difficult if not impossible to artificially create authentic Patina that also behaves in a long term is authentic patina.

Quote:
And it's spelled SlartibartFAST. Or were you just being quirky?
No its not spelled that way; the name of my avartar is spelled "Slartibartfas". The one you have in mind is someone else. I am not in the planet creation business.
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:02 PM   #995
william of waco

I'm cool with that. As you may have surmised I am releltively new to the wonderful world of architecture, so please forgive any intitial pretentiousness that you see coming your way without a white flag being waved.

But Slartibartfas was inspired by Hitchhiker's was it not?
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #996
Slartibartfas

Quote:
Originally Posted by william of waco View Post
I'm cool with that. As you may have surmised I am releltively new to the wonderful world of architecture, so please forgive any intitial pretentiousness that you see coming your way without a white flag being waved.
No problem, you are talking with not more than a layman.
And to be honest I am really glad that they chose to rebuilt the center of Warsaw again. The city is really lucky that it did not become another Kaliningrad in architectural matters.

Quote:
But Slartibartfas was inspired by Hitchhiker's was it not?
Yes it was... quite some time ago.
Old February 21st, 2009, 12:36 PM   #997
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

New hotel (+2 reconstructions on either side of it):

Nice rendering:

The 4 buildings that are highlighted are the ones that have now been turned into 1 hotel with a single facade...one the one hand the huge facade doesn't really fit in with the general architecture of this street (most of the buildings are pretty narrow), at the same time though it is a decent modernist building and the pre-war ones didn't look all that great either.

Bigger version

As an added bonus, here's a winter picture of the Neumarkt:

Check out this site for more pics and information (in German): http://bausituation-dresden.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Kampflamm; February 21st, 2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old February 21st, 2009, 01:02 PM   #998
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Kurländer Palais:

Source

The international thread is at #3 on Google

http://i43.************/21mt7h4.gif

Last edited by erbse; July 29th, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old February 21st, 2009, 07:47 PM   #999
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57847

Congrats to us & Dresden and thank you

I was about to post this stuff. But you're just too quick Kampfi, damn you

The Hotel at Rampische Str. on its own merits isn't that bad at all - but it if you consider the ensemble effect, this modern block is just too massive. They could improve its appearance by just using as many colors for the cladding as there have been baroque buildings once - they even made crimps to show this, but color would amend its structure and integrity a lot. Would also be a nice reminiscence of the buildings that once stood there. Don't you think?

I can't see this ****** gray anymore. And I'm not that optimistic it'll turn out as nice as in the renderings, but let's wait for the completion before we finally judge.

The Kurländer Palais of course turned out awesome! Along with Köhlersches Haus, Quartier II and AdF 16/17 my favourite reconstruction so far.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; February 22nd, 2009 at 06:49 PM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2009, 09:42 PM   #1000
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I think the problem is that some colors could look quite tacky on a modern building like that. I'm for example not a big fan of those simple buildings in the Salzgasse, to some extent because of their colors (I also think their design is too bland).

The question of course is how it could have been reconstructed. The 4 buildings the hotel replaces wouldn't have warranted a reconstruction. Instead we probably would have had to go back to the 18th century instead of pre-February 1945.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen