daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:56 AM   #1001
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by william of waco View Post
Warsaw is a good example of what they could have done in Dresden. I’m not 100% sure on this but the technique they used in Warsaw was something known as “antiqueing”. Is this right? It is a process by which the buildings are not only reconstructed as they stood before the war, but also gives their facades a patina that make them seem centuries old. In Dresden the glossy new buildings give me the initial impression of having been thrown up overnight.
Didn't they also take apart other buildings in Poland and then ship parts of them to Warsaw? I think this was discussed in one of the German forums, maybe Erbse remembers more about that discussion.

Anyway, I think adding fake patina would have been even worse. These buildings will age over time and to be honest I like the squeaky clean look. Some people in Germany are always complaining about "over-restored" old towns but I must say that I almost prefer it that way.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2009, 12:24 PM   #1002
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 26

Part of the (non existant ) problem is that all we can see are black & white or photochrom pictures of old Dresden. They show up details much more than modern colour photos do.
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:05 PM   #1003
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

Come on people, the oldest reconstructed building in Dresden is like 2 years old, and in Warsaw they are over fifty. They simply had enough time to look a bit 'aged' right now, after 50 yrs. And now, when time for renovation comes, all the renovated ones look just like all the reconstructed ones in Dresden. They simply shine and they need some time to get a bit dirty.
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM   #1004
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Construction of the Schlossstraße is supposed to get under way this summer (supposed to be finished in early 2011)

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Last edited by Kampflamm; February 22nd, 2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:31 PM   #1005
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

I do not understand why people criticize the 'brand new' looks of these reconstructed buildings. Why does a building need to look old and dirty to look nice? Do you think that if they weren't bombed to the ground people would not have renovated and repainted them anyway?

I applaud Dresden for this magnificent reconstruction and its transformation into the architectural masterpiece of Central European Architecture it was before the WWII bombings. It is exemplary.

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:33 PM   #1006
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Maybe I’m just hard to please, expecting immediate results out of solutions that must necessarily be long-term in realizing.
A few years back my parents added a copper roof onto one of the outer buildings standing in their property. With a sort of dreamy-eyed glow they spoke of how amazing the green patina will look in thirty years. Well, I am the sort of fellow that would have just purchased some re-salvaged old copper, complete with green patina, then nailed it on in the hope that it would come across as having been there longer than it really has. If people don’t ask I wont tell them. And I fully understand how this takes away from the joy of “growing old with it”. I guess I have always been the impatient type.

I just feel that at Dresden they could have cheated a bit. Just a little.

Great photos Kampflamm.
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:51 PM   #1007
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Thanks, but all the credit goes to these sites:

http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/

http://www.architekturforum.net/

Quote:
I just feel that at Dresden they could have cheated a bit. Just a little.
Possibly...but then again plenty of people are already opposed to reconstructions to begin with, arguing that people want to create an illusion of what Dresden looked like a 100 odd years ago. Adding old roofs probably would have supported their argument although I understand what you're saying. Once again I like the clean look though. The church below will probably have a green spire not too long from now...which I hate. I prefer the dark appearance.

http://www.dialo.de/images/cityGuide...elis.large.jpg

Last edited by erbse; July 29th, 2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 09:51 PM   #1008
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

^ Regarding the "Michel" in Hamburg (shown in your photo) I feel the same in some way. I love that dark appearance of the copper. The lantern on the Frauenkirche in Dresden is the same case for me, I like the dark, metallic appearance better there.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #1009
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Nice panos:

image hosted on flickr

Bigger version

image hosted on flickr

Bigger version

Last edited by Kampflamm; February 27th, 2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #1010
william of waco

These are beautiful photos. For some reason I feel that Baroque style architecture is much more beautiful under a covering of snow.

Also, could someone help me with this? I am currently studying the architecture style found in the city of Bremen, but have only been able to find a couple of threads. I fully admit to being computer illiterate about most things, including how to use the search engine on this site, which seems a little tricky. I have seen all of the old photochromes, the post-war Life Magazine photographs, as well as a few vintage postcards but wonder if there are more.
I tried using the site Bildindex.de but couldn't make sense of the German instructions and found that I might possibly have to wade through hundreds of photos to find what I am looking for, which is architecture from Bremen outside of the well known Markt as well as the Botcherstrasse.
I know most of the city's buildings were destroyed in the war, so I am curious about what used to stand as well as any reconstructions, however good or bad.
Does anyone know of more threads dealing exclusively with the arch. of that city?
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:03 AM   #1011
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

Regarding Bremen: Did you already stumble across the Bremer Haus? Maybe you should also have a look at this thread, or this one. If you're searching for the Bremen page at Bildindex - it doesn't seem to work now, you should try later. Usually you find it via "Orte" > "Bremen". I'm not a Bremer, so I don't know if there's more stuff to discover here.

But perhaps you should put your request in the German forum, I think there are more people who could help you

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Last edited by erbse; March 1st, 2009 at 09:11 AM.
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:53 AM   #1012
william of waco

Thank you erbse. I was able to get the Bildindex site working and found that I am going to have to wade through THOUSANDS of old photos. No problem. I have already scanned past a few thousand and had a lot of interesting (and humbling) moments looking at all the architectural wonders that once stood there. Thanks to these photos, you could literally rebuild the old city center almost to the inch. Not a bad idea for someone, namely myself, who wants to construct a scale model town sometime in the future. This is my reason for studying Bremen. I want to do something similar to what Langweil did with his terrain model of Prague.
I am going to repeat the recommend on the German forum as you suggested, but I kind of doubt anyone could suggest something to top Bildindex. Unbelievable.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:04 PM   #1013
Chris_533976

Keep us updated on the scale model town and post many, many pics in this forum
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #1014
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

They're just repaving the road here:

Source: Harmonica (APH-Forum)

Old March 15th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #1015
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Good news everyone! Construction on Quartier VIII should start pretty soon. Since there are no new pictures here's a nice reconstruction of the 1990s...the Taschenbergpalais, today home to a 5 star hotel.

1990:

On the left you can see part of the castle

And today:

[IMG]http://i43.************/10dxv75.jpg[/IMG]

Bridge connecting the castle and the palais:

Old March 15th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #1016
Chris_533976

Good pics, but what idiot decided to take down the statues on the 'roof' in the 1990s pic? Thats ridiculous.
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #1017
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

Yeah, true. What happened to the coat of arms and two statues just above the last storey?
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #1018
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

This is what it looked like before 1945...I'm not sure but maybe the building was returned to its original baroque state. The statues and roof may have been later, perhaps more classicist additions. Maybe a Dresdner knows more about this.

Old March 15th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #1019
william of waco

Maybe the statues and coat of arms are being restored or copied.
Or, it could be another typical example of postwar no-frills reconstruction in Germany and are considered too costly. If you restore the details to one building people will want to see it happen to more of them and this requires more work and money in the long run.
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #1020
Dr.Seltsam
Live in HD

Likes (Received): 3217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post

[IMG]http://i43.************/10dxv75.jpg[/IMG]
I think you can find the coat of arms on this picture.
Perhaps they added it at this (new) position?
But I can't find the statues!

Dr.Seltsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen