daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #1081
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4197

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
I disagree, I love the building. Its perfect, it totally doesnt fit in, which makes it perfect. People complain about the Disney effect of the the Neumarkt, I feel this building adds some realism. It shows that this is a living city center, not a fake veneered core, like you see in Vegas. Its touches like this that keep this a real city. Even the controversy of it adds to the cities charm. Remember the Eiffel tower was considered ugly and many people wanted it torn down after the world fair.
I don't mind if they had build something more spectacular. But this building is something you would expect somewhere in the suburbs in some provincial town center. It looks cheap. You can find it everywhere where investors want to make a quick euro.

The only thin I like is the restaurant terrace. Its a nice addition.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2009, 11:06 AM   #1082
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5468

Quote:
I disagree, I love the building. Its perfect, it totally doesnt fit in, which makes it perfect. People complain about the Disney effect of the the Neumarkt, I feel this building adds some realism. It shows that this is a living city center, not a fake veneered core, like you see in Vegas. Its touches like this that keep this a real city. Even the controversy of it adds to the cities charm. Remember the Eiffel tower was considered ugly and many people wanted it torn down after the world fair.

When I was in Dresden last summer I talked to a lot of the locals about the reconstruction, I was surprised to find that many wanted reconstruction but did not want strictly original reconstruction. Almost all felt there was an opportunity to add touches to keep this time in history alive. Rather than putting everything back the way it was.

Just my 2 cents - thanks for everyone who keeps posting pics and keeps the tread alive. Cheers.
I agree.

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era inscì
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1083
william of waco

Likes (Received): 258

Quote:
I disagree, I love the building. Its perfect, it totally doesnt fit in, which makes it perfect.
To me this is the equivalent of someone hanging a Picasso in a room full of Rembrandt's. The Modern has no place in an area that was/is famous for it's Baroque perspectives. These modern structures distract the eye from the harmonizing effect of the other buildings.

Quote:
People complain about the Disney effect of the the Neumarkt, I feel this building adds some realism.
The cringe-inducing Kultur Palast, as well as the other bland boxes that surround the Markt are all the realism that Dresden needs. One can hardly walk anywhere in that city without seeing them. In my opinion the reconstructed Markt has become a kind of womb where tourists as well as natives can go to avoid the harsh reality of Dresden's communist architecture. They don't need more of the same.

Quote:
It shows that this is a living city center, not a fake veneered core, like you see in Vegas..
Las Vegas has always been what it is and therefore is not fake. Besides, if you were ever to travel outside of the main strip you will find that Vegas very much resembles a legitimate city. The unsympathetic architecture that the communists threw up after the war is what made Dresden fake.

Quote:
Its touches like this that keep this a real city. Even the controversy of it adds to the cities charm. Remember the Eiffel tower was considered ugly and many people wanted it torn down after the world fair.
The Eiffel is an iconic symbol of not just Paris, but France as well. I seriously doubt that these modern structures fronting the Markt will ever qualify in the same way.
In my opinion, the Frauenkirche is Dresden's version of the Eiffel Tower. The fact that they placed these unaccomodating modern structures within clear view of it is about as disrespectful as one can get.

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
william of waco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #1084
Darhet
Warsaw patriot

Likes (Received): 1155

http://whc.unesco.org/en/news/522

Quote:
Dresden is deleted from UNESCO’s World Heritage List
Thursday, June 25, 2009

"Every time we fail to preserve a site, we share the pain of the State Party," declared María Jesús San Segundo, the Ambassador and Permanent Delegate of Spain to UNESCO who is chairing the 33rd session of the World Heritage Committee presently underway in Seville on Thursday.

The World Heritage Committee decided to remove Germany's Dresden Elbe Valley from UNESCO's World Heritage List due to the building of a four-lane bridge in the heart of the cultural landscape which meant that the property failed to keep its "outstanding universal value as inscribed."

Dresden was inscribed as a cultural landscape in 2004. The Committee said that Germany could present a new nomination relating to Dresden in the future. In doing so, the Committee recognized that parts of the site might be considered to be of outstanding universal value, but that it would have to be presented under different criteria and boundaries.

The 18th- and 19th-century cultural landscape of Dresden Elbe Valley stretches some 18 km along the river from Übigau Palace and Ostragehege fields in the north-west to the Pillnitz Palace and the Elbe River Island in the south-east. The property, which features low meadows, and is crowned by the Pillnitz Palace as well as numerous monuments and parks from the 16th to 20th centuries in the city of Dresden, was inscribed on the List of World Heritage in Danger in 2006 because of the planned Waldschlösschen Bridge.

Dresden is only the second property ever to have been removed from the World Heritage List. The Oman´s Arabian Oryx Sanctuary was delisted in 2007.
The 33rd session of the World Heritage Committee is meeting in Seville until 30 June. The Committee´s 21 members are reviewing the state of conservation of properties inscribed on UNESCO's World Heritage List and nominations for new inscriptions of cultural and natural sites on the List.

Darhet está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #1085
Kevlargeist

Likes (Received): 879

Boohoo, that list is messed up anyway. And what should this city of more than 500,000 people do, turn itself to an outdoor museum?
Kevlargeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:21 AM   #1086
Norkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

It's not a loss for a city like Dresden, but for UNESCO it's a great loss definitely..

Btw what happened to that Oryx Sanctuary in 2007, anyone knows?
Norkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #1087
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5821

I don't agree. UNESCO has a fine selection of great heritage on its list. It's Dresden that definitely lost prestige which is not insignificant for tourism. And the sad thing is it did not need to loose it but provoked it out of ignorance.
Old June 28th, 2009, 05:07 AM   #1088
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4197

Dresden shouldn't care what UNESCO says. The Elbwiesen were not so great anyway. Hardly world heritage IMO.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #1089
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

If you say so.

Have you ever been there, anyway?

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2009, 08:11 PM   #1090
el_barto

Likes (Received): 18

I haven't However I'm gonna be there this summer
el_barto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 02:21 AM   #1091
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Kurländer Palais

Source: Dark Vision, APH-Forum

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1092
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Great work...too clean, but i like it.

Old July 17th, 2009, 12:19 PM   #1093
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5821

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymino View Post
Great work...too clean, but i like it.
Don't worry, against being "too clean" a little bit of time is the perfect solution. Give it 10 years.
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #1094
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Right... too clean looks like Disneyland or Las Vegas.

Old July 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #1095
erbse
LIBERTINED

It looks just like some random heavily renovated historical building. The time will tell how those reconstructions age. But in general they get some patina pretty fast, as you can see by looking at former reconstructions in Germany (the Zwinger or the Semper Opera in Dresden e.g.).

Old July 18th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #1096
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quartier II/2

[IMG]http://i27.************/oi8652.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i30.************/2enrexz.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i31.************/2wg56hv.jpg[/IMG]

The modern hotel:

[IMG]http://i29.************/11kw7t2.jpg[/IMG]

All pics courtesy of: Bausituation Dresden

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old July 18th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #1097
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

3 additional pics of the Kurländer Palais:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Source: Vitruv, APH-Forum

Name is derived from this region, so plenty of Latvian tourists should come and visit Dresden.

Old July 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #1098
ArchitectCS

Likes (Received): 1

Could someone please tell me what is inside the Kurländer Palais? Are the interiors recreations or just modern? Also, what was it used for before the war and what will it be used for now? Sorry for so many questions, but I'm really curious. Thanks!
ArchitectCS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 11:25 PM   #1099
erbse
LIBERTINED

The interior will be almost completely reconstructed, pictures and more info following.

Old July 24th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #1100
WhiteMagick
Moderator - Επιτηρητής

What I have noticed in the restored area is the absolute lack of greenery. Are they going to plant any trees or what?

如果希腊国民继续信阴谋论,外资救世主的,不为自己的行为负责, 他们会灭亡。

人は何かの犠牲なしに何も得ることはできない。何かを得るためには同等の代価が必要になる。それが、生活における等価交換の原則だ。その頃僕らは、それが世界の真実だと信じていた。時間は、最も貴重な資源である。だから、誰の時間もあなたは無駄にしてはいけないし、誰もが他の人の時間を無駄にしないでください。
WhiteMagick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen