daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 7th, 2010, 04:25 PM   #1621
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 202

and maybe i should prepare for

entire development is a mess.
If they had restored everything DETAIL BY DETAIL, then it would be okay. But in its current form its a complete abomination.
and to think I once really like this.....
ch1le está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #1622
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
Yes, disgusting! especially as Rampische Straße is one of most successful parts of the reconstruction, IMO.

The architects of the Innside hotel were Woerner and Partner, and you can see them gloating about their 'achievement' on their website:

http://www.woernerundpartner.de/html...ium/frames.htm
Everybody should write them an email expressing their dislike.
Anytime they'll learn...
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM   #1623
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luli Pop View Post
Everybody should write them an email expressing their dislike.
Anytime they'll learn...
Look at some of their other efforts!

This is just hideous!! It's like some crap thrown up after the war in the 1950s!

http://www.woernerundpartner.de/html...ews/frames.htm
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:57 PM   #1624
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

That's what happens if you have some investor with no idea engaging a modernist architect for such an area...

But authorities and other cities (like Frankfurt, Berlin, Potsdam which also reconstruct a lot) will learn from this desaster.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM   #1625
Chris_533976

Likes (Received): 26

I'd like to see the Zentraltheater. Again ripped from the other thread.

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
Chris_533976 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1626
Anlysixth
Ciclista terco y gritón

Likes (Received): 436

Wonderful... i hope one day My city historic downtown is reconstructed in that way. there are many lovely buildings lost that would be great to bring back to life.

"Una nación que no trabaja de forma constante en la erradicación de la discriminación de toda índole, será eterna esclava de los perjuicios que esta causa en el pleno desarrollo de sus ciudadanos."
Anlysixth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1627
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
That's what happens if you have some investor with no idea engaging a modernist architect for such an area.
I agree, but weren't there any guidelines issued by the planning department of the city of Dresden itself? I wonder why it was allowed to be constructed in the first place. Surely its construction could've been vetoed?
Old July 8th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #1628
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
I agree, but weren't there any guidelines issued by the planning department of the city of Dresden itself? I wonder why it was allowed to be constructed in the first place. Surely its construction could've been vetoed?
The municipalities I have worked with really don't have much veto power over investors' design tastes. Sad but true. I also, quite honestly, works for the good more than the bad. Some historic places do have guidelines that must be followed, but there is frequently a wide range of latitude architects have to put their stamp of uniqueness on a building.

modernists architects are commited followers of mies vanderohe on almost a religious level. They tend to loathe detail and heavy relief. And certainly loathe the ornamentation that defines the style of old Dresden.

Let's face it, the Sears Tower in baroque style would look horrible, and likewise the Pragerstrasse in modern style looks horrible. Everything has its place.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #1629
rd77

Likes (Received): 6

This thread is fantastic! Dresden has been om wishlist of cities to see for some time and I heard from my folks that the sorrouding area is very nice as well.

About the reconstruction: while I agree that it is sad that there are some nondescript modern buildings in between the replicas of old buildings, I must applaud the affort that has been made! In my own country (Netherlands) a reconstruction like this is completely taboo as the Modernists dictate everything in my country "the North Korea of architecture".
rd77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1630
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd77 View Post
This thread is fantastic! Dresden has been om wishlist of cities to see for some time and I heard from my folks that the sorrouding area is very nice as well.

About the reconstruction: while I agree that it is sad that there are some nondescript modern buildings in between the replicas of old buildings, I must applaud the affort that has been made! In my own country (Netherlands) a reconstruction like this is completely taboo as the Modernists dictate everything in my country "the North Korea of architecture".
the modernists have formed for over 100 years a culture that approaches most assignments with a main focus on the most efficient, low cost, fully utilitarian, non-ethnically or regionally impacted, and most "global" in appearances so a building in Berlin could just as easily be in Baltimore. In addition, the big money--as seen in Dubai for example--for new projects are overwhelmingly being developed with modernist designs. For many, new is better than old, stainless steel is better than limestone, exposed steel girders are better than marble columns, and alumninu window frames are better than artfully detailed wood moldings.

funny how these same people will search for quaint village replicas to put under their Christmas trees and model train displays rather than metal boxes.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:37 AM   #1631
Jim Beam

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post

[IMG]http://i39.************/21cz4f8.jpg[/IMG]

Source: http://dresden-fernsehen.de/default....&showNews=6626
I just threw up inside my mouth a little bit
Jim Beam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #1632
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

funny how these same people will search for quaint village replicas to put under their Christmas trees and model train displays rather than metal boxes.
As well as living in four-storey, 18th-century townhouses. They don't mind inflicting their crap on the rest of us though.

This foul thing was recently built in the very centre of my home city of Exeter, within spitting distance of the cathedral. I've no idea how it relates to a city that was founded by the Romans and which rose to be one of the most prosperous towns in medieval England. Aesthetically, and historically, it's just revolting

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/comment/re...100983.article

Photodash liked this post
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1633
keepthepast

Quote:
As well as living in four-storey, 18th-century townhouses. They don't mind inflicting their crap on the rest of us though.

This foul thing was recently built in the very centre of my home city of Exeter, within spitting distance of the cathedral. I've no idea how it relates to a city that was founded by the Romans and which rose to be one of the most prosperous towns in medieval England. Aesthetically, and historically, it's just revolting

http://www.bdonline.co.uk/comment/re...100983.article

that is horrible.

here is the new art museum in San Francisco, also a city of beautiful classic architecture and design. On the museum's website, you cannot find a single photo of the building, even though there is a page specficially about the architects (who were Swiss) and design. They must be ashamed.

Highcliff liked this post
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:37 PM   #1634
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
We're currently fighting for it not to happen.

It seems there is an alternative investor who would build the modest modern buildings proposed by GHND. Probably some reconstruction would be possible then as well. But I'm not that sanguine about it after all.
this is in reference to the re-post of the modern plans for the Hauptstrasse...

Do letters of protest have any affect on the city council? Or are they allegiant only to the investors and their own sense of creastivity?

here in the states, a loud enough public outcry can get local governments to change their ideas.
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #1635
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
We can be glad, that, seen from Neumarkt, the green house's roof covers the horrible roof of that hotel!
the roof is surely the worst part of it. omg that thing is so fugly!
Old July 12th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #1636
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8160

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
that is horrible.

here is the new art museum in San Francisco, also a city of beautiful classic architecture and design. On the museum's website, you cannot find a single photo of the building, even though there is a page specficially about the architects (who were Swiss) and design. They must be ashamed.

Sorry but thats a brilliant building.
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #1637
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I think it's quite sexy as well. Almost looks like some sort of space station.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #1638
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8160

It seems its by Herzog & de Meuron ; the same guys who built Allianz Arena and Beijing National Stadium.
Old July 12th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #1639
AMS guy
hipp-E

Quote:
Talking of 'less appealing':

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hyMAHRDzt_...oo/s1600/2.JPG

http://bausituation-dresden.blogspot.com/

A superb row of historical reconstructions, and that 'thing' sits in the middle of it. I still don't know how they were allowed to get away with it IMO it almost completely ruins the effect as the eye is instantly drawn to it.
This is really illogical. They manage to create a nice row and then they ruin the effect of reconstruction by adding a building that is completely misplaced It will look less damaging when the opposite of the street is finished though.
AMS guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:34 PM   #1640
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Sorry but thats a brilliant building.

Sorry, but it is very controversial. While the design is in many ways innovative and interesting, but like the issues with the newmarkt, the approprriateness for the location has many, many people quite unhappy.

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen