daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1641
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8160

Neumarkt is city centre development, De Young is in a large park which is surrounded by suburban housing, cant get more appropriate than that imo! Either way wrong thread to talk about this.

Last edited by El_Greco; July 12th, 2010 at 09:13 PM.
El_Greco no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #1642
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1676

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Neumarkt is city centre development, De Young is in a large park which is surrounded by suburban housing, cant get more appropriate than that imo! Either way wrong thread to talk about this.
a large park filled with classic architecture and turn of the 20th century themes among victorian URBAN housing. Agree to disagree with thousands that live here...its a big eye-sore amongst urban classic beauty.

The building got approved because of "art". And that is why most of the non-baroque plans are getting approved for Dresden...in the interest of art and creativity, why not do something new and different rather than "copy" what someone else had done?
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 06:50 AM   #1643
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12567

This is a question for those who know.

Are the construction methods and materials that are currently being employed the same as they were with the original buildings.

For example, with regards to the ornamental designs on the British Hotel, are those designs created out of stone or concrete? And what were they originally crafted of?

Are the brick foundations the same as they were originally used for the design of the original structures?
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #1644
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57844

^ Speaking for the British Hotel, the ornaments are done with Elbe sandstone, like they used to. Walls are brick-made, with groundfloors and some other elements done in concrete due to practical considerations. That doesn't really touch the effect of this great reconstruction though, so I think it's ok if some elements you can't spot are done in concrete. It's supposed to last longer this way. The roof is made out of wood, tiles and copper btw, just like it used to. All in all a really accurate reconstruction we see going up there.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

Highcliff liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1645
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12567

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
^ Speaking for the British Hotel, the ornaments are done with Elbe sandstone, like they used to. Walls are brick-made, with groundfloors and some other elements done in concrete due to practical considerations. That doesn't really touch the effect of this great reconstruction though, so I think it's ok if some elements you can't spot are done in concrete. It's supposed to last longer this way. The roof is made out of wood, tiles and copper btw, just like it used to. All in all a really accurate reconstruction we see going up there.
Were the walls of the original interiors made of plaster?

What are they made of now?
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2010, 02:34 AM   #1646
keepthepast

the use of plaster goes back centuries, so it is most likely the interior walls of the BH were mostly plaster with stone slabs worked in for accents or special areas.

It is also likely that the interiors will incorporate some modern technology, like the concrete, such as dry wall, bathroom and plumbing fixtures, electrical, HVAC, etc. A 100% recreation with old-world engineering details would not be the best idea. The way the BH is being built--with original exterior look and feel along with current technology for 21st century comforts and longevity--is the best of both worlds. Not very different than the Frauenkirche.
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1647
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Are there any existing photographs of the interior of the British Hotel before it was destroyed in 1945?
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:03 AM   #1648
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Rampische Stra▀e:

Source: http://bausituation-dresden.blogspot.com/

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #1649
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

I dont mind these modern buildings - they look quite smart.
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #1650
keepthepast

The modern aspects crammed in amongst what was intended as a baroque reconstruction looks out of place and silly, if not stupid, as if the planners and architects had a limited or diminished sense of how not to force-fit styles that really do not blend, imho.

To me this looks like Elton John putting on a Marie Antoinette wig and makeup with a Madonna mini skirt. Just doesn't work.
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #1651
Kevlargeist

Likes (Received): 879

The modern buildings aren't that big of a deal IMO. Sure, they can be considered a bit inappropriate, but it's not like this is the first time we see historical buildings mixed with modern ones in Europe, and as the time goes by it will all look more natural.
Kevlargeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #1652
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Developers and architects in general are not very keen on building in classical styles ; it is complicated, time consuming and expensive. Instead of complaining you should be thankful developers are taking on the task of rebuilding the Neumarkt. The price for that is - a few contemporary buildings.
The modern stuff is not Zahas or Gehrys broken shapes (though I would not mind them, infact I would prefer them), but smart and well integrated buildings.

Old July 16th, 2010, 02:23 AM   #1653
keepthepast

well, to each, his own. Personal taste is always subjective, but it seems quite unfortunate there has to be some sort of trade-off and compromise for a project such as this.

To me that massive trade offs had already been made--keeping the Kulturpalast, the row of apartments along Wilsdruffer, the plans for Hauptstrasse, the Alt Markt 21st century look along with Prager strasse, the squashed plans to rebuilt the SophienKirche etc etc. Isn't all that enough to satisfy the modernists' need for straight lines and minimalist simplicity? The Neumarkt should have been allowed to be purist in its classic look. The rest of Dresden--and Europe as kevlargeist points out--is a hodge-podge of architectural whims; it would have been best to keep something perfect.

the neumarkt could have been a 10 on a 10 point scale. It is about an 8; not bad at all, but why settle for a B grade when you could have had an A?
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:17 AM   #1654
El_Greco
╔pater la Bourgeoisie

Of course it is a shame that there has to be a trade-off! Unfortunately thats the reality and we cant do much about it, but ask that the modern stuff is good and it is, though as I said I would have prefered something more exciting. After all for centuries Dresden has been a centre for development of contemporary architecture. And it does have some pretty impressive modern stuff like The New Synagogue and UFA-Palast.

Oh and there is plenty of perfectness in Europe.

Last edited by El_Greco; July 16th, 2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #1655
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hyMAHRDzt_...ss/s1600/5.jpg

I guess it is going to be one building with a facade looking like four previously existing tenements, isn't it? It wouldn't look very good with the windows on the same height in all four 'buildings'. It would make it that you can always tell that it's a fake 4-facades one big building. There should be a variety in the height of elements.
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #1656
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filip01 View Post
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_hyMAHRDzt_...ss/s1600/5.jpg

I guess it is going to be one building with a facade looking like four previously existing tenements, isn't it? It wouldn't look very good with the windows on the same height in all four 'buildings'. It would make it that you can always tell that it's a fake 4-facades one big building. There should be a variety in the height of elements.
Is this the building that's being reconstructed? If so, then the windows are all the same height in the original.

http://www.neumarkt-dresden.de/ramp23-33.html

Old July 16th, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1657
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Yup, the 4 buildings on the left are being reconstructed right now:

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #1658
keepthepast

and looking very good in terms of exterior design that embodies the original structures.

The trade-offs of interior spaces to meet the needs of the current usages and updated comforts and conveniences I'm all for. That I agree with EL on.
Old July 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #1659
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Yup, the 4 buildings on the left are being reconstructed right now:

Oh it's going to look stunning.
Old July 16th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #1660
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

I had no idea it looked like tat originally. To me it was just like one huge building, just like this Innside Hotel, that would have four or three different, fake facades, that wouldn't hide that it's acctually one big tenement. I'd love to see it finshed then.
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen