daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #1781
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I just noticed that we completely missed the 5-year anniversary of this thread. Here's to the next 5 years and more beautiful reconstructions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm, August 27, 2005
This is probably the biggest reconstruction project in Germany right now. The area around the Frauenkirche will be rebuilt in a classic and modern way which means that most buildings will be reconstructed along with some modern additions.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #1782
Marathaman

Likes (Received): 6038

Who is in charge of the reconstruction? Is it the government or some private developers? What will be done with the buildings after construction? houses? offices? hotels?

2019:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyer75 View Post
Next two years the economy will crumble and the stock markets will crash thanks to demon.
Marathaman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #1783
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

City administration has sold these plots to developers. All sorts of things can be found in them...plenty of hotels, some apartments, restaurants etc.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old September 21st, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1784
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

I love how the development is coming together. Thanks for everyone for providing the detailed updates. I cant imagine the cost of this reconstruction based on the artistry and craftsmanship I have seen, but I can tell you the pay off is there in the long run.

Aside from civic pride, and preserving history, I know of many North Americans (myself included) that have put Dresden as a must go part of any European trip. The Berlin-Dresden-Prague tourist route has consistently grown in popularity over the past years. I planned on staying for 1 night on my last trip and ended up staying there 4 we loved it so much.

Hats off to the hard work of Dresdener's for helping the city rise from the rubble and hats off to those of you who keep us informed with all the exiting development.

Prost!
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM   #1785
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

If people are interested in Dresden and Saxony, they can always check out my thread about the city and state.

Old September 21st, 2010, 09:38 PM   #1786
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
Aside from civic pride, and preserving history, I know of many North Americans (myself included) that have put Dresden as a must go part of any European trip. The Berlin-Dresden-Prague tourist route has consistently grown in popularity over the past years.
Prost!
I agree! I'm from South America and I'm still waiting for a TGV to be constructed from Berlin, Dresden, Praga, Viena, Budapest, Timisoara, and Bucharest in order to spend a summer visiting those marvelous cities.

I cannot wait anymore, so I think I'll rent a car next year and go!
A couple weeks in each big city, a week in each small one.
Otherwise what life is for???

Is there a touristic guide of resconstruction already?
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:02 PM   #1787
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

With the opening of eastern europe and the reconstruction projects in Dresden and Berlin, the world is suddenly "rediscovering" much of the essence of the real Europe. Americans, for decades, were brainwashed into believing London, Paris, Rome was all Europe had to offer. Travel agents pushed these destinations to the exclusion of most else, except Disney Land. Now that Dresden is leading the way as a newly awakened tourist area, the destinations of Berlin, Prague, Dresden, Leipzig, Vienna, Budapest, Danzig, Tallin, etc are very likely to help overcome the anti-German and anti eastern Europe bias that has exist for a long time.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #1788
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quartier VIII

Pictures I took in early August:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pictures from http://bausituation-dresden.blogspot.com/:

Once again an idea of what the street will look like:

[IMG]http://i52.************/ngwsv6.jpg[/IMG]

Old September 24th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #1789
The Champ

Likes (Received): 467

What a beautiful looking place

I see lots of reclaimed stone in these buildings, presumably the original remnants of the buildings? where was this stone found? was it saved off site for a number of years or was it just lying as rubble in situ?
"The public suddenly saw him in a new light, the two-handed fighter who stormed forward, a flame of pure fire in the ring, strong, native, affable, easy of speech, close to the people in word and deed and feeling."
The Champ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM   #1790
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5285

Looks stunning. Yes, people will hopefully rediscover the essence of middle Europe, its beauty in city's like Dresden, Wurzburg, Krakow and Prague and maybe some day I hope Warsaw. Elblag/Elbling is being rebuilt too but more as a modernist interpretation of what was. I think this central part of Europe judging by historical pics was the most beautiful with its Austro-Hungarian, Prussian/Germanic and Slavic influences.

BTW, how much of historic Dresden is now rebuilt would you say, what approx percentage of it is back? Can you walk for a few streets without modernist/communist interruptions spoiling the glorious pre-war inspired composition?

Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #1791
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
What a beautiful looking place

I see lots of reclaimed stone in these buildings, presumably the original remnants of the buildings? where was this stone found? was it saved off site for a number of years or was it just lying as rubble in situ?
Yes, much of the stone and ornaments were uncovered in rubble that had been piled up for 5 decades. Many wonderful discoveries were made, including the cross that was at the top of the Frauenkirche. It now is on display in the Church santuary. Artisans spent years cataloging the rubble in order to piece together the few substantial items that were not pulverized in the bombing holocaust.

Photodash liked this post
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:48 PM   #1792
keepthepast

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
Looks stunning. Yes, people will hopefully rediscover the essence of middle Europe, its beauty in city's like Dresden, Wurzburg, Krakow and Prague and maybe some day I hope Warsaw. Elblag/Elbling is being rebuilt too but more as a modernist interpretation of what was. I think this central part of Europe judging by historical pics was the most beautiful with its Austro-Hungarian, Prussian/Germanic and Slavic influences.

QUOTE]
Agree completely. This area is reemerging with vigor.

Last edited by keepthepast; September 24th, 2010 at 11:53 PM.
Old September 24th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1793
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
BTW, how much of historic Dresden is now rebuilt would you say, what approx percentage of it is back? Can you walk for a few streets without modernist/communist interruptions spoiling the glorious pre-war inspired composition?
There's the Neustadt on the other bank of the Elbe which has plenty of pre-WW2 architecture and you can certainly walk thru that w/o any sort of interruptions. The old town (relatively small and condensed) with the Zwinger, Semper Opera, Frauenkirche, Castle, Neumarkt can be explored without too many major interruptions as well but it's certainly not what it once was.

Quote:
The dark stones of the castle survived WW2. The building was more or less in ruins until the 1990s.

Last edited by Kampflamm; September 25th, 2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old September 25th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #1794
Belgrader

Likes (Received): 401

The city is so beautiful. I really hope that once again Dresden will be one of the cultural capitals of Europe, like it was in its golden era.
Old September 25th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #1795
Alan G.

Likes (Received): 0

Amazing Progress..... Thanks Kampflamm
Alan G. no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:16 PM   #1796
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
With the opening of eastern europe and the reconstruction projects in Dresden and Berlin, the world is suddenly "rediscovering" much of the essence of the real Europe. Americans, for decades, were brainwashed into believing London, Paris, Rome was all Europe had to offer. Travel agents pushed these destinations to the exclusion of most else, except Disney Land. Now that Dresden is leading the way as a newly awakened tourist area, the destinations of Berlin, Prague, Dresden, Leipzig, Vienna, Budapest, Danzig, Tallin, etc are very likely to help overcome the anti-German and anti eastern Europe bias that has exist for a long time.
what about Neuschwanstein and Heidelberg and Rothebburg ob der Tauber? Typical american tourist destination in germany and europe!
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #1797
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Berlin, Prague and Vienna are already within the top ten most visited cities in Europe as well.
But keepthepast was right. Paris, London and Rome (plus Venice and Florence maybe) were for many decades sold as the only cities of interest n Europe.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #1798
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Berlin, Prague and Vienna are already within the top ten most visited cities in Europe as well.
But keepthepast was right. Paris, London and Rome (plus Venice and Florence maybe) were for many decades sold as the only cities of interest n Europe.
Really? I don't think so, because Neuschwanstein was and is popular by American and Japanese tourists and Oktoberfest with Munich! Aswell Heidelberg because of the US ARMY Headquater in Europe (which are moving to Wiesbaden, i know)
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #1799
keepthepast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mabuse View Post
Really? I don't think so, because Neuschwanstein was and is popular by American and Japanese tourists and Oktoberfest with Munich! Aswell Heidelberg because of the US ARMY Headquater in Europe (which are moving to Wiesbaden, i know)
Of course Neuschwanstein and other parts of Germany have been destinations for some american travel over the decades, but I think you miss this point. Overwhelmingly, the tourism business in the US has sold London, Paris, Rome (plus as Tiaren points out, the romantic cities of Florence and Venice, and more recently Spain) as the places to go for the 'once in a lifetime' trip across the pond. Traditionally, there have been many more flights to these cities than any destinations in Germany. Just look at the ads and posters in airports and in travel agent windows; you'll see parliament and big Ben and buckingham palace, Eifel Tower and arch de triumphe, Roman colesium and forum, each titled with its destination. You might see neuschwanstein castle, but the title is gnerally "europe". From a marketing standpoint, there is no question central and eastern europe has generally been out of consideration frames of most american travellers.

now, however, having the Wall removed, substantial efforts in creating ungrades in hotels and restaurants, etc, the travellers who have discovered this 'lost' area are promoting it heavily via word of mouth, mostly....and its working.
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #1800
tk780

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaren View Post
Berlin is only in the Top 10 if you include domestic tourists.

I wouldn't exactly group Western Germany (Southern Germany, really) together with Central and Eastern Europe when it comes to tourism as it has been a well-established destination for Asians and North Americans for decades, but he certainly has a point in so far as Germany has nowhere near the "prestige" of France, Italy or the UK as a place to spend a vacation.
tk780 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen