daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #1801
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk780 View Post
Berlin is only in the Top 10 if you include domestic tourists.

I wouldn't exactly group Western Germany (Southern Germany, really) together with Central and Eastern Europe when it comes to tourism as it has been a well-established destination for Asians and North Americans for decades, but he certainly has a point in so far as Germany has nowhere near the "prestige" of France, Italy or the UK as a place to spend a vacation.
France is vastly more popular than Germany for British tourists, I would say. It's obviously a bit easier to get to but I'm not sure why France is so popular exactly.

Anyway, great updates from Dresden.
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2010, 01:36 AM   #1802
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

[QUOTE=wolfpaw;64319033]France is vastly more popular than Germany for British tourists, I would say. It's obviously a bit easier to get to but I'm not sure why France is so popular exactly.

QUOTE]

Marketing. With images of the Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, normandy military cemeteries, chateaus in the countryside, arch de triumphe, and versailles overwhelming the travel industry focus, it follows that people go there.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 02:45 AM   #1803
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post

Marketing. With images of the Eifel Tower, Notre Dame, normandy military cemeteries, chateaus in the countryside, arch de triumphe, and versailles overwhelming the travel industry focus, it follows that people go there.
And people think it's all cheap wine. Having lived there I can say that the cost of living is enormous!

Old September 28th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #1804
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

How was the reconstruction done? Was each building that was rebuilt sold to private sector?
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #1805
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

During a trip to East Germany in 1990, photographer Stefan Koppelkamm discovered buildings that had survived both the war and the construction mania of the East German authorities. Ten years later, he returned to photograph the buildings again. The comparison threw up some unexpected contrasts.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...720326,00.html

http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-1...eryV9-mmlt.jpg

http://www.spiegel.de/images/image-1...eryV9-kinv.jpg

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1806
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpaw View Post
France is vastly more popular than Germany for British tourists, I would say. It's obviously a bit easier to get to but I'm not sure why France is so popular exactly.

Anyway, great updates from Dresden.

France is popular because its beautiful DOT
it's not just marketing.

don't search the cats 5th leg!

in France there are not that many ugly modernists building ruining historical downtowns and everything is orginal with a few exception.

I'm Germany's #1 fan, but France is France and France has always been France.

for instance, in Germany everything must look new like the reform up here
there's no sence of charm in Germany, I think people can't apreciate a falling wall, or a vanishing paint like in France or Italy. That would be charm.

Charm is not perfection (when talking about maintenence or finition of old or new buildings) and in Germany there's a permanent quest for perfection.

yet I'm sure Germany lacks marketing, at least to compense 60 years of bad publicity done by US propaganda.

then the marketing done by german government is a shit.

I had to go for business to Frankfurt and I was shocked how beautiful the city is and how much heritage remains, its atmosphere is awesome too. Since german media and gov marketing focuses on the ugly towers in downtown I never wanted to visit it, even people going to MesseFrankfurt don't visit the city and think all Frankfurt is towers.

If I would have known it was like it is, I've certainly had visited it sooner and for more days.
Now I recommend visiting Frankfurt, but german media is my biggest enemy.

Last edited by Luli Pop; September 30th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM   #1807
Karasek

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanista1 View Post
BTW, how much of historic Dresden is now rebuilt would you say, what approx percentage of it is back? Can you walk for a few streets without modernist/communist interruptions spoiling the glorious pre-war inspired composition?

Yes and no. Today the most beautiful parts of Dresden are the suburbs, which weren't destroyed. Wachwitz, Loschwitz or Pillnitz are magnificent and really give you an idea of the pre war aura of the city. Neustadt is often mentioned, bu frankly, there are much more beautiful Gründerzeit quarters in other Saxon towns. It's not that special if you ask me.
The old town is mostly gone. Here is a map (which isn't 100% correct):

Most buildings within the red border are either preserved or get reconstructed right now.
Karasek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:32 PM   #1808
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6217

waht about the rest, especially below the red line? Did those towers there survive/ get reconstructed too?

Highcliff liked this post
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:43 PM   #1809
Luli Pop
BANNED

reconstruction must continue in all this area.
I've just seen Dresden in Google Earth and I want to cry.

it lokks lika an american city with parking lots and demolished quartiers.

will recontruction continue after this?
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:47 PM   #1810
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
waht about the rest, especially below the red line? Did those towers there survive/ get reconstructed too?
Both survived. Those are the towers of Kreuzkirche (Church of the Cross) and of the city hall of Dresden.
The two towers on the right:
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alphatier/5012440795/

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post

Last edited by Tiaren; October 1st, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 12:09 AM   #1811
judd newto
judd newton

Likes (Received): 152

just found your Dresden post, and find it realy interesting reminds me of our own sheffield, england forum, although we didn;t have as much wartime damage our rebuilding problems have been a bit hit and miss,now our 60,s rebuilt market is under threat from the if its not pretty knock it down brigade, all the best Judd
judd newto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:01 AM   #1812
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
Yes and no. Today the most beautiful parts of Dresden are the suburbs, which weren't destroyed. Wachwitz, Loschwitz or Pillnitz are magnificent and really give you an idea of the pre war aura of the city. Neustadt is often mentioned, bu frankly, there are much more beautiful Gründerzeit quarters in other Saxon towns. It's not that special if you ask me.
The old town is mostly gone. Here is a map (which isn't 100% correct):

Most buildings within the red border are either preserved or get reconstructed right now.
That is an astounding photograph.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM   #1813
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 8163

That panorama above is fantastic, although that green tower block ruins it somewhat.
Old October 3rd, 2010, 12:25 AM   #1814
oldcenterfan

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasek View Post
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3808/dresdenx.jpg

it may possible to obtain pictures of dresden preserved district?

the neumakt is nice but there are a lot of old buildings, road who will be never rebuilt...

Last edited by erbse; October 19th, 2010 at 01:47 PM.
oldcenterfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:23 PM   #1815
johol903

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mabuse View Post
During a trip to East Germany in 1990, photographer Stefan Koppelkamm discovered buildings that had survived both the war and the construction mania of the East German authorities. Ten years later, he returned to photograph the buildings again. The comparison threw up some unexpected contrasts.
Very interesting indeed! Development since the unification seems to have been both good and bad. Nevertheless I bow to the german city planners. They seem determined to heal the wounds from the war and 45 years of cold war!
johol903 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:37 PM   #1816
Denmark88
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Europe is rebuilding it;s old buildings while Usa it's demolishing it's historical buildings..
Denmark88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #1817
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Different city, but interesting pics. Greifswald in northeastern Germany in 1993 and today:

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff liked this post

Last edited by Kampflamm; October 4th, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM   #1818
JLAG

Likes (Received): 504

These before and after pictures are really fantastic to see. What a model for cities that have been destroyed by one or another reason. In my part of the world we haven't had war or communism but we did have the mayhem of the 70s were everything old should be replaced by concrete.
JLAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #1819
Luli Pop
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denmark88 View Post
Europe is rebuilding it;s old buildings while Usa it's demolishing it's historical buildings..
Buenos Aires is demolishing EVERYTHING too!

77 pages of current demolitions (first 3 pages lot of text, then mostly photos) http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=520049
Old October 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM   #1820
Tiaren

Likes (Received): 5550

Buenos Aires is one of the most stunning cities in the world, thanks to it's Beaux Arts architecture. It is even bigger and even more ornate than in Paris. It's inexcuseable to destroy that beautiful architectural heritage! ;(
Tiaren no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen