daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2010, 03:21 PM   #1821
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

Finally finishing the portico over the entrance of the British Hotel

More photos here: http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #1822
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5468

Always looking better Love it.

Once completed will be used as a hotel or may have other uses?

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - Milàn l'era inscì
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #1823
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skymino View Post
Always looking better Love it.

Once completed will be used as a hotel or may have other uses?
As far as I know it'll just be a hotel, unless there are some shops on the ground floor. I guess one of our German members will know for sure
Old October 6th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1824
Luli Pop
BANNED

Likes (Received): 40

do you think ground floor of British Hotel facade was originaly like this?

isn't it too simple compared to he rest of the building?

I feel like pillasters are lacking. there's no relation between ground floor and upper levels. I feel it's been modified between its construction and its destruction.

there's no doubt it was like this when it was bombed, but how was it when it was firstly built?
Luli Pop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #1825
Skymino
Ambrosian User

The only difference i can see are the shop doors

[IMG]http://i42.************/1zyin4n.jpg[/IMG]

Highcliff liked this post
Old October 6th, 2010, 11:52 PM   #1826
Urbanista1
Here and Now

Likes (Received): 5284

Thanks Karasek for that amazing aerial pic of Dresden - that's a keeper . For me, it's still worth coming to visit especially if some suburbs are still intact. It sounds very much like Warsaw, where the most magnificent core of the city is gone (although Warsaw did rebuild much more in comparision, but suburbs like Zoliborz, Stary Mokotow and Ochota are intact. It would certainly be expensive and take tremendous political will today to rebuild more of Dresden but I hope some more landmarks are rebuilt. In any case, I will be visiting next year.

Urbanista1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 03:03 AM   #1827
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Wow! Those before and after's are amazing!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #1828
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

It was interesting to talk to people in Dresden about the reconstruction. Most of the young people (and even more of the older people) were not as in favor of rebuilding the city as I would have thought.

The main reason I was told is cost - how can the government justify rebuilding everything when there is 20% unemployment. I know a lot is privately funded, but there is a huge expense to the reconstruction.

The other issue was people felt their East German history was being erased. Although almost all were not supportive of the East German government and system, all felt it was a part of them and removing the buildings was a way of removing the period of time.

I can see both sides, but personally I think the baroque city was beautiful and should be rebuilt as historically accurate as possible. I think it looks beautiful thus far and promotes civic pride and tourism.

As for the communist buildings, I have little regard for the architecture or what they represent, but I do think there should be some preservation for historical purposes.

Would be interesting to get some Saxon opinions on this, regardless thanks for all the great update pictures and updates.
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:19 AM   #1829
wolfpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by durden5573 View Post
It was interesting to talk to people in Dresden about the reconstruction. Most of the young people (and even more of the older people) were not as in favor of rebuilding the city as I would have thought.

The main reason I was told is cost - how can the government justify rebuilding everything when there is 20% unemployment. I know a lot is privately funded, but there is a huge expense to the reconstruction.

The other issue was people felt their East German history was being erased. Although almost all were not supportive of the East German government and system, all felt it was a part of them and removing the buildings was a way of removing the period of time.

I can see both sides, but personally I think the baroque city was beautiful and should be rebuilt as historically accurate as possible. I think it looks beautiful thus far and promotes civic pride and tourism.

As for the communist buildings, I have little regard for the architecture or what they represent, but I do think there should be some preservation for historical purposes.

Would be interesting to get some Saxon opinions on this, regardless thanks for all the great update pictures and updates.
I can appreciate the East German perspective re. how they feel as though their history is being erased, but why would they want to be reminded of rule under the Communists? The problem is that I didn't grow up under the Communists so on that level it's not 'my history' that's being erased. It's hard to know for sure, but even if it was my history I don't think I would be sorry to see the back of the Communist rebuilding.

We had something similar over here in my city. A beautiful piece of Georgian architecture was damaged during WW2 and instead of rebuilding it it was replaced with a truly ugly brick pedestrianised shopping centre. You can read a bit about what happened here:
http://thelostcityofexeter.blogspot....rd-circus.html

The shopping centre was demolished itself a few years ago (and replaced with something even uglier) but there were people who thought the old 1950s shops should've been kept because they represented a period of the city's history. I appreciated the view point but I totally disagreed with it. Why should people have ugly stuff inflicted on them every day of the week just because it represents something? The real solution would've been to reconstruct the Georgian buildings that were bulldozed and only then would I have been happy. I guess the fact is that some people don't like/care for historic architecture. I do, so I wouldn't care about what a building represented if it was as ugly as sin and I had the option of getting something beautiful back in its place.

I know it sounds selfish, but the people of Dresden should be thankful that things once thought lost for good are being rebuilt. There are many people across Europe who would love for something like that to happen where they live.

As for the money, and I would see it as an investment, if only from a tourism perspective.

Old October 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #1830
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

The age old "how can they be spending money on xyz when there are people unemployed"-argument. Sadly these are the times we're living in. Anything that's beautiful is considered unnecessary, just look at modern architects and their hatred for ornaments.

I want to live in a beautiful city, if that means spending some of my tax euros on reconstructions or other stuff to make the city better, then so be it. And as wolfpaw has mentioned, all these reconstructions are turning Dresden into a tourist hotspot. If it still looked like it did in the mid-90s (Frauenkirche and castle in ruins, the Neumarkt as one big parking lot etc.), I doubt people would be flocking to the city.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #1831
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Rampische Straße 29...a true gem. Pics courtesy of http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/:

How can people not love this view?! A mere 5 years ago there was literally nothing there (except for the Kurländer Palais ruins)

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Old October 8th, 2010, 10:11 AM   #1832
JLAG

Likes (Received): 504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
The age old "how can they be spending money on xyz when there are people unemployed"-argument. Sadly these are the times we're living in. Anything that's beautiful is considered unnecessary, just look at modern architects and their hatred for ornaments.

I want to live in a beautiful city, if that means spending some of my tax euros on reconstructions or other stuff to make the city better, then so be it. And as wolfpaw has mentioned, all these reconstructions are turning Dresden into a tourist hotspot. If it still looked like it did in the mid-90s (Frauenkirche and castle in ruins, the Neumarkt as one big parking lot etc.), I doubt people would be flocking to the city.
I second to that, and how can anyone not love that view?

Photodash liked this post

Last edited by JLAG; October 8th, 2010 at 10:20 AM.
JLAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #1833
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Lovely Rampische Straße 29 buildings.

But I want to see start work in the rest of Quarter III!

Old October 8th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1834
Piltup Man

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
how can the government justify rebuilding everything when there is 20% unemployment.
The people who think this don't realise that rebuilding creates jobs?

Photodash liked this post
Piltup Man no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #1835
wolfpaw

Quote:
How can people not love this view?! A mere 5 years ago there was literally nothing there (except for the Kurländer Palais ruins)
I think this photo is proof that the reconstruction has been a total triumph. On the surface is just looks like a beautiful Baroque street that has been there for centuries, which is exactly how it should look. Even the awful hotel doesn't look so bad from this angle. People think historic cities are just full of individual historic buildings but it's the way those buildings work together as a whole that really gives a city its historic character.

Old October 8th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #1836
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

I agree with Kampflamm. When I'm in Germany next year I plan on visiting Dresden to see all the great things going on there. If Dresden were not being rebuilt or left as it appeared in the 90s, I would not be at all interested in visiting. I'm so excited to see it!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1837
Filip01
Pilanin

Likes (Received): 87

Quote:
Rampische Straße 29...a true gem. Pics courtesy of http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/:
I love the plaster they used here on this one. It's surface isn't very very smooth, you can see it's very barockish, just as it used to be, it's not even, you can see some a bit lighter and darker parts, which looks very naturally.
Filip01 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1838
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Rampische Straße 23-27:

Highcliff, JustinHerman liked this post
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #1839
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

Dresden was....no! Dresden is getting beautifull again!
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM   #1840
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Quartier VIII and Rampische Straße:

Source: http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen