daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM   #1861
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12577

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
Quartier VIII:

Was this building originally constructed out of concrete? If not, should it not then be constructed out of its original material so that it avoids the pastiche look ?

Highcliff liked this post
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:46 PM   #1862
keepthepast

Likes (Received): 1677

The original Alt Stadt and Neumarkt were largely constructed of wood, natural stone, bricks for the foundations and sub-walls, concrete/cement, and masonry.

it is fully acceptable to rebuild and/or restore these structures with updated building materials, safety codes, climate control, etc. It is unlikely that much concrete was used for the original walls and foundations (as you can see in the photos of the ruins and excavations), but its use now only enhances the redevelopment of the area and provides for a longer-lasting and more structurally sound set of buildings that will last for a long, long time. A signifcant amount of effort is being made to not create facades that look like cheap immitations, rather artisians are painstakingly doing a fine job at recreating and enhancing the former structures.
keepthepast no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:52 PM   #1863
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I agree that the concrete looks a bit dull but as keepthepast has mentioned, a lot has changed since the original buildings were built a number of centuries ago. New building codes, concerns for the environment etc.

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 10:50 PM   #1864
keepthepast

[QUOTE=Kampflamm;65805421]I agree that the concrete looks a bit dull QUOTE]

Just to clarify....the concrete we see above is only the inner structure of the walls. All this will be covered by exterior finishes that reflect the textures and colors of the originals, just like on Rampishe strasse. We'll never see the concrete once the buildings are completed.
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:32 PM   #1865
Hed_Kandi
Registered Usurper

Likes (Received): 12577

[QUOTE=keepthepast;65808015]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampflamm View Post
I agree that the concrete looks a bit dull QUOTE]

Just to clarify....the concrete we see above is only the inner structure of the walls. All this will be covered by exterior finishes that reflect the textures and colors of the originals, just like on Rampishe strasse. We'll never see the concrete once the buildings are completed.

What type of stone is featured on the exterior walls and ornamentations? Does this stone work stay true to the original?
Hed_Kandi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 11:43 PM   #1866
keepthepast

In general, the plans are to adher to the original look. The images of the work already done is an indication of what the remaining construction will be like--a very close rebuilding or original structures. Some, like the Fraunekirche and Rampishe 29 are exact duplicates, but others are near duplicates, while others are very close representations. None are going to be exposed concrete structures like the former police building that as removed several years ago to make way for this project.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:05 AM   #1867
durden5573

Likes (Received): 114

Using concrete foundations and concrete form pours for the walls make complete economical and architectural sense. The cost of these reproductions is extremely high, and the original construction were expensive to upkeep. Concrete is fast to build and inexpensive in comparison to traditional methods. I'm glad the are putting the effort into the exterior cosmetic reconstruction vs. ensuring the building framework is constructed true to the original design.

I'm truly amazed by the skill and craftsmanship of these buildings, the quality shames pretty much anything that gets constructed in North America.
durden5573 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 07:23 PM   #1868
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Why is there a modern styled building there?

redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:12 PM   #1869
keepthepast

Because individual property owners had their own architects contracted for the work. While designs needed city approvals and there were public forums to discuss the designs, many compromises were agreed to. Art, design, architecture, etc, are always subjective and likes/dislikes are extremely emotional and varied. With the very strong drive to create ultra contemporary buildings worldwide, regardless of the history of an area, the modernist aspects build into the neumarkt are blessedly few and far between.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM   #1870
redstone
Lurker

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepthepast View Post
Because individual property owners had their own architects contracted for the work. While designs needed city approvals and there were public forums to discuss the designs, many compromises were agreed to. Art, design, architecture, etc, are always subjective and likes/dislikes are extremely emotional and varied. With the very strong drive to create ultra contemporary buildings worldwide, regardless of the history of an area, the modernist aspects build into the neumarkt are blessedly few and far between.
Were the plots sold by auction to individual owners according to the WWII era plots? I actually thought this was a government led project
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:48 PM   #1871
keepthepast

Here are a few more images/models of the redevelopment of the south side of Rampishe Str, numbers 2-18.

aerial view from the Frauenkirche.

looking from An der Frauenkirche toward the Kurhaus.

lower level view from the Frauenkirche.

Highcliff, JustinHerman liked this post
Old October 24th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #1872
Skymino
Ambrosian User

Likes (Received): 5472

Please, move with the reconstruction, I can not wait to go back to Dresden to see it completed.

Great job

Urbanfile Blog - MyFlickr - MilÓn l'era inscý
Skymino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #1873
Chadoh25

Likes (Received): 805

Great photos Kampflamm! Thanks for the update!
Chadoh25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #1874
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

If only they would be rebuilt like that...

Nothing has been said about the south side of the street for a long time, I wonder how long it will take for them to be rebuilt.
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #1875
fengleiying
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

thumps up for your article, great post...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i am playing runescape and have a runescape accounts level 63cheap uggs and uggs boots and uggs on sale and wedding dresses and cheap nfl jerseys
fengleiying no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 01:16 PM   #1876
Dr.Mabuse
Proud Member of the DWF!

Likes (Received): 548

How much is now already builted up? Can you give a number in % or something? I would like to see a bw-photo of the construction area before the war and now.
Dr.Mabuse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2010, 02:33 PM   #1877
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

Rampische Stra▀e:

Source: http://www.bausituation-dresden.com/

"I think it's a privilege to call yourself a Wunderbarler and it's something that you have to earn."

Highcliff, Photodash liked this post
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:39 AM   #1878
wolfpaw

Likes (Received): 116

I think the Rampische Strasse buildings are some of the best yet. It really is a remarkable achievement!
wolfpaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 03:00 AM   #1879
JohnnyMass
Whatever

Likes (Received): 1493

can't wait for the other ones to be unveiled!
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #1880
Denmark88
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

if they are rebuilding these buildings what was before them..? was it an empty space.?
Denmark88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
classic architecture, classic europe, construction updates, dresden, reconstruction, redevelopment, rekonstrucje, rekonstruktion, sachsen