daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Vote for the city with the greatest history.
Rome 90 45.23%
Athens 31 15.58%
Cairo 8 4.02%
Istanbul 27 13.57%
London 25 12.56%
Xian 18 9.05%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 31st, 2005, 01:35 AM   #21
CHANEL
WhAtEvEr

Likes (Received): 5

WTF IS LONDON DOING ON THE LIST.
---------OOOOOO
-------OOOOOOOO

.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´).·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.·(`'·.¸(`'·.¸(`'·.¸ ¸.·'´)¸.·'´)¸.·'´)
CHANEL no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:56 AM   #22
Hillis

Likes (Received): 0

Um, it's historic...
Hillis no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:00 AM   #23
TO_Joe
Curious Traveler

Likes (Received): 1

I abstain. I can't say -- all of them are historic, but all of them have been impacted by modern development.

And I agree with some of the other posters -- why aren't places like Mexico City, Isfahan, Delhi, Mecca, etc. on the list even though they all have remnants or intact structures from at least 300 - 600 or more years ago (particularly places like Isfahan or Mecca) and are current living cities (and I've been to these places and many others though not Mecca).

If anything, I would vote for Mathura, Uttar Pradesh, India -- continuously occupied for 3500 years and still has a good selection of temples and claims to be the birthplace of Lord Krishna.

And I have some reservations about Xian. Yes, it was the center of the world during the Tang Dynasty and it was very cosmpolitan (terminus of the silk road, so you see people from all over the world much like you would in present day New York or London). But beside that fort and a few bell and drum towers and a few parks, it looks pretty much like any other provincial Chinese city today.

Last edited by TO_Joe; August 31st, 2005 at 05:16 AM.
TO_Joe no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:33 AM   #24
NewAmsterdam

Quote:
WHY ISN'T MEXICO CITY HERE?¿?¿?
Quote:
Cities (without any order) wrongly missing from this list:
Paris,
Mexico City
St Petersburg
Florence
Quote:
WHY INDIAN CITIES AREN'T THERE THEY ARE FULL OF HISTORY.
Quote:
WTF IS LONDON DOING ON THE LIST.
Quote:
I agree with some of the other posters -- why aren't places like Mexico City, Isfahan, Delhi, Mecca, etc. on the list

I think some people don't get how the "Urban Hall of Fame"-forum works. First there are NOMINATIONS for more than a week :

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=247558

Everyone can nominate any city they want.

Jerusalem,Kyoto,Paris,Madurai,Damascus....all got nominations,but not enough . So if you want your city included in the final poll next time you need to participate in the nominations. Because the cities with the most nominations will go to the final round. So there is little point in complaining about the fact that some cities are missing in this poll. You should have nominated them last week. During the nominations you can promote your favourite city in the "Discuss"thread by posting pictures... . After a week the nominations-thread is closed and the "final vote" can start.

This week you can VOTE for the : Most Historic City
and you can NOMINATE for the : Most Futuristic City
NewAmsterdam no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 06:51 AM   #25
Butcher

Likes (Received): 3

I voted London, not because it is more historic, just because I prefer modern history to ancient history. More my style of history really.

When I walk through the shadow of the valley of death
I will fear no evil, cause I'm the biggest son of a bitch in the valley!

Best of Britain
Butcher no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:55 AM   #26
ladolcevita

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO_Joe

And I have some reservations about Xian. Yes, it was the center of the world during the Tang Dynasty and it was very cosmpolitan (terminus of the silk road, so you see people from all over the world much like you would in present day New York or London). But beside that fort and a few bell and drum towers and a few parks, it looks pretty much like any other provincial Chinese city today.
It was the capital of the Han Dynasty too, Han Wudi opened trading connection with the west and that's how the Silk Road you are talking about got started. It's also the capital of Qin Dynasty, hence the city also have The Mausoleum of Qin Shi Huang and his Terracotta Army.

The Shaanxi History Museum in Xi'an is also one of the biggest in China.
ladolcevita no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:10 AM   #27
^NuSpirit
BANNED

What the f*uck is London doing here?!?!
^NuSpirit no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:12 AM   #28
daft_freak

London?!?!?!? lollll give us a break...
daft_freak no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:37 AM   #29
sealife

ROME FROM THE LIST
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:04 AM   #30
Metropolitan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 11

WTF London is doing here ??!!!?!
Metropolitan no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM   #31
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13285

Will you guys PLEASE shut up saying "omg lol, wtf is london doing here"

Read posts 8, 13 & 14 from this thread!! I can't believe how ignorant you're being.
wjfox no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:22 PM   #32
Sinjin P.
TheLibotero

Likes (Received): 535

For me it would be ATHENS
Old September 1st, 2005, 06:10 PM   #33
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Dryden translates it most perfectly:

The Latian realm, and built the destin'd town;
His banish'd gods restor'd to rites divine,
And settled sure succession in his line,
From whence the race of Alban fathers come,
And the long glories of majestic Rome.

(Nota bene:, I have seen convincing arguments laid that the above lines are
a coded reference to the exiled James II. )

Last edited by tpe; September 1st, 2005 at 06:20 PM.
tpe no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:00 PM   #34
Urban Girl

Likes (Received): 2

i think if we look at historical importance Istanbul wins. it was the capital city of 3 great empires and has importance since ancient times to 1900's.

Athens was very important and great city in ancient times but it lost its importance 1000 years ago or even before. same for Cairo.

Rome is still very great city but it had no importance in middle ages.

London gained its importance with indutrial revolution. Today its the most effective city in this list.

about Xian i dont know much about it. but very important city for Asian civilization.
Old September 1st, 2005, 07:37 PM   #35
AtlanticaC5
Right Here, Right Now

Likes (Received): 10

Rome gets my vote
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:07 AM   #36
Tekir
Ben senin baba yarinim

Cairo would outclass the others. Do you know why? the buildings like Acropolis, Colleseum, Pompeian THeatre, Empire States Building will vanish from the earth, but those pyramids, they will stand still!!!!!

Now we may pick Rome, because Christian World dominates the Pagan and Muslim world. Tomorrow if buddhist' s dominate, where will we choose?

What if Islamic world rise again? Shall we pick Damascus of Umayyads, or Baghdad of Abbasids? After the injection of Turkic Tribes from north east, Turkic dominations in Delphi, Ispahan, Merv, Constantinople?

These kinds of topics lack historical concepts. At the beginning you forgot to put cities like Karakurum (Mongolian Capitol), Perspolis, Ecbatana, Susa, Babylon, Hattusas, Ctesiphon, Damascus, Baghdad. As I have mentioned before, you are new guys, never forget it. Not even English, not even Germans, not even Romans, not even Greeks.

But there are Chinese, Persians, Egyptians, Sumerians, Babylonians, Akads, Hittites, etc...

These gave as much as Romans, Brits, Greeks. The most important fact is you are unaware of it.

Wjfox, Xian is only one capitol of Chinese. THere are other dynasties such as Tang, Sung, Yuan, Ming dynasties. Do you know the capitols of those? Do you know the Jurchid (Tunghus) domination fo Northern Hans, in Beijing?

It is really relative, to choose most influential city. First of all the recent dominator will always be most recognizable (New york and London), that is why we are wrinting English today. Not Latin. But we use most words from Latin. But what is Latin? most words are from Greek?

What is Greek culture? Off course they are the starters of science but engineering (applied science) was coming from Mesopotamia and Egypt.

Recent dominator is most recognizable, really, I saw a British pal claimed British Empire was superior than of Romans because they made railroads in Africa... But I know, Americans claiming their navy is the most superior (compared to Vikings, Athenians, Italian city states and British) because they have aircraft carriers...

Do you really feel yourself comfortable by comparing a city which was active 4000 years ago and a city which was actively dominating just in the last 300 years? These are two different eras. You can compare 1800s London to 1800s France. You can not compare 1500s Istanbul to 2000s New York.

But even if we continue this way, I would pick all Egyptian and Sumerian citites. They do not exist now, but if they were not living, none of us were here. We might still be monkeys...

Imagine Romans did not reach you Celtics and Germanics, and Nordics. Or imagine, Greeks continued the way Mesopotamians and Egyptians do, applied science and Thales, Anaximander, etc... did not create theorotical science...

It goes to the beginning, the very begining. Other theories are alternative history theories and these are out of Scientific scope...

But again, I support the idea of comparing countries, cultures, cities in one time point. Istanbul is today a big trash and mess, will that erase its heritage of 2 Empire' s capitol?

Last edited by Tekir; September 2nd, 2005 at 10:18 AM.
Tekir no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:25 AM   #37
Tekir
Ben senin baba yarinim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Girl
i think if we look at historical importance Istanbul wins. it was the capital city of 3 great empires and has importance since ancient times to 1900's.

Athens was very important and great city in ancient times but it lost its importance 1000 years ago or even before. same for Cairo.

Rome is still very great city but it had no importance in middle ages.

London gained its importance with indutrial revolution. Today its the most effective city in this list.

about Xian i dont know much about it. but very important city for Asian civilization.
Istanbul is a capitol of Two Empires. THis is a historical failure. THey think second Rome started with the disintegration of two parts.

Infact the main body was in the east because Constantine the Great carried the Empire to his city, Constantinople, in 320s... 2nd Rome starts with Christianity. Now many scholars think, 3rd Rome will start with Islam. So constantinople is the capitol of Christian and Islamic Roman Empires. Rome is the capitol of Pagan Roman Empire.

Athens is very very important for its theoritical sciences. If they did not exist, we would not have mathematics, physics, chemistry, etc...

Xian is just one of the zillions of Chinese capitols, there are many.

London 's importance, we are today discussing English nor French.

But all these were active dominators in different eras.

I know Damascus dominated Rome and Constantinople. Only Tang Dynasty was the equal of Umayyads.

I know Perspolis/Susa/Ecbatana (Persian empire had three capitols) dominated the world. The term empire came with Persians. USA is actually a Persian Empire for example or Roman Empire, or British Empire...

There are many many cities, many many...
Tekir no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2005, 10:27 AM   #38
Tekir
Ben senin baba yarinim

BTW, Cairo is not Giza...

Giza and Cairo are like Ctesoiphon and Baghdad. PLease correct it...

Pyramids are in Giza, its the second capitol of Egypt. First was THebes...
Tekir no está en línea  
Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:38 PM   #39
Küsel
Resurrected

Likes (Received): 163

Rome! Okay between the decline of Rome and the Renaissance it was only a small village but otherwise it always played a huge role in European history - and further on because of the Vatican.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 04:59 PM   #40
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekir
BTW, Cairo is not Giza...

Giza and Cairo are like Ctesoiphon and Baghdad. PLease correct it...

Pyramids are in Giza, its the second capitol of Egypt. First was THebes...
I think you are correct here, although funny I have always considered Ctesiphon and Baghdad to be entirely separate but nonetheless proximate. Good point.
tpe no está en línea  

Closed Thread