daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Vote for the city with the greatest history.
Rome 90 45.23%
Athens 31 15.58%
Cairo 8 4.02%
Istanbul 27 13.57%
London 25 12.56%
Xian 18 9.05%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 20th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #81
tpe

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigorisSokratis
And Madrid since it was the capital of one of the largest empires in history, the spanish anyway I should add that its importance lasted for a small span in the long spectrum of time just for two centuries the 16th and the 17th after that it was an ongoing declining empire, though it's out of any discussion that it left a clear seal in human history and the cradle of an important civilization like the Latin American, though nowadays it cannot be cosidered the capital of Iberoamericanism since it has a counterpartner in North America and that's Mexico city; btw another one that should be added to the list as the most important city of the Aztecs and afterwards of colonnial spanish-Americas.
An interesting observation. Madrid was certainly an imperial city of the Spanish Empire.

But one should add for completeness that the Spanish Hapsburgs, like all Hapsburgs (as well as most of the European courts at the time) were a peripatetic bunch: they loved to move around depending on the time of year, and it is more precise to say that Madrid was the Winter capital of the Spanish Empire.

For the late Hapsburgs and the early Spanish Bourbons, the circuit was codified to 4 places: Aranjuez in Spring, La Granja is Summer, the Escorial in Fall, and Madrid in Winter.
tpe no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:24 AM   #82
Fly Pan Am
User

Likes (Received): 0

London because it is the most important to my country's history (albeit a boring histoy)
Fly Pan Am no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2005, 03:57 AM   #83
GrigorisSokratis

Likes (Received): 11

You are right TPE also we should add that thanks to that bunch and their ultraspending policy, they drove Spain to bankruptcy in the 17th century; maybe if they didn't take such economics polices and also applied the Merchantilistic took by the French, Dutch and of course British maybe the history of the Spaniards would have quite different.
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2005, 06:00 AM   #84
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigorisSokratis
You are right TPE also we should add that thanks to that bunch and their ultraspending policy, they drove Spain to bankruptcy in the 17th century; maybe if they didn't take such economics polices and also applied the Merchantilistic took by the French, Dutch and of course British maybe the history of the Spaniards would have quite different.
I do wish there were more threads that add to the historic dimension. Write-ups like yours are just what we need in the other threads to add interest...

Thanks!
tpe no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2005, 06:02 AM   #85
tpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Pan Am
London because it is the most important to my country's history (albeit a boring histoy)
I don't think your history is boring at all. I'm sure you said that in jest!
tpe no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2005, 10:04 AM   #86
JayT
Like whatever....

Likes (Received): 1000

Honestly - you guys are like a bunch of kiddies arguing. And London does have history!!!!

Perhaps you should start the poll again - but listen to what people have to say. Nominate first the cities that should be in the poll before it begins - probably about 5 or so and then choose the most popular from the nominations.

My nominations for most historic cities would go to - and in no particular order:

Rome
Athens
Mexico City
Damascus
Jerusalem
London - 2000 years of history is a lot.
JayT no está en línea  
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:30 AM   #87
lakegz

Likes (Received): 32

If London is on there, then Paris has to be on there too.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 01:49 PM   #88
lffıs
|/|/|\/|

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
My vote goes to Amsterdam! Take a look at the Dutch 'empire'. And don't forget to check New York on the map, it was Dutch ones (and formerly known as New Amsterdam).

Indonesia, Sri Lanka, the Netherlands Antilles, Tobago, Suriname, Guyana , Belgium, Luxembourg, South Africa, parts of Malaysia, a part of eastern Brazil, New York City - New York, Albany - New York, Deshima, Corandčl (New Zealand), Smeerenburg (on Svalbard), Elmina (Ghana).

Pretty nice for such a small country

On topic: my vote goes to Rome because it's one of the oldest cities in the world.
Old September 24th, 2005, 01:56 AM   #89
doctor_
Centuś

Likes (Received): 3

I was considering beetwen Istanbul and Rome. But I voted for Istanbul, it has more dramatic storyline.
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:14 AM   #90
BRISBANE
Queensland, Australia

Likes (Received): 88

any city in asia...much more history than most of the ones mentioned here...not so much history in london or istanbul...xian maybe
BRISBANE no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #91
Sinjin P.
TheLibotero

Likes (Received): 535

Rome among others!
Old September 24th, 2005, 10:58 AM   #92
JJB
The Local Chip

Likes (Received): 0

London gets my vote for being such a wonderful city and with a unque history from 1000s of years ago!

See Dublin on emporis
Here

Greater Dublin --- Population 1.5million and growing!!!
JJB no está en línea  
Old September 24th, 2005, 11:31 AM   #93
AMS guy
hipp-E

ROME
AMS guy está en línea ahora  

Closed Thread