daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #381
alsen
Celebrity Fitness

Likes (Received): 1

Shanghai is definitely the most futuristic.plus,Shanghai has a lot of potential to be the next capital of the world
just take a look at this shot.....

http://www.skyscrapers.cn/forum/atta...qMFBD1fkmZ.jpg
http://www.skyscrapers.cn/forum/atta...ko96GAvpIm.jpg
pics by flybird
alsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:06 AM   #382
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitak747 View Post
Actually, I think I'm no way as funny as you are.............I have repeated my opinion so many times that most of HKers agree that Japan is generally more furturistic than HK, and that Wanch did say similar thing in his previous post already. But I don't know why you said we cannot accept this fact, then keeping on taking advantage of Japan to attack HK..............Are you blind?

I don't think HK is the most furturistic one in the world, and I'm sure most of HKers would have same opinion. But I totally disagree to your statement that HK is about the 5000th and even those relatively lowly-developed cities, like Kuala Lumpur and elsewhere are all more furturistic than HK. This is your prejudice against HK obviously.

HK is not immaculate and I'm sure there isn't shangri-la in the world, but I would like to reiterate that HK is indeed a furturitic city, even though Japan is more furturistic, we're still more furturistic than most of Asian cities in that the advantages of HK is much more than the shortcomings.

Compared to other Asian cities, we have excellent services, more state of the art infrastructure, user-friendly facilities, mature banking and finance system and fair legal system. Besides, we also have higher degree of biz freedom and transparency, lower degree of corruption and bureaucratism as well as second to none biz surrounding. That's all crucial for a furturistic city.
Agree. Especially with finance since HK is the financial centre of the Asia Pacific region.

One thing about HK, it's a very global city. I kinda find it more international compared to other Asian cities with the exception of Singapore.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #383
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17799

Infrastructure is a major first step to futurism. It is not just roads and public transit, but also includes other sustainable development components as well. East Asia, in general, does a very good job with transit infrastructure, since the cities are large and development is recent. Tokyo, Seoul, and Hong Kong all have extensive transit infrastructure, while there is a major push in China to set up an adequate amount of transit these days.

However, sustainable development as a concept is far better embedded in Europe and North America. In particular, recycling is only beginning to take off in industrialized Asia. This is somewhat out-of-line with the general level of technology that is available to the public. Cell phone penetration rates and broadband usage in industrialized Asia lead the world, oftentimes at par or even exceeding the Scandinavian countries who usually top these lists. Yet recycling and composting rates are quite abysmal. A major obstacle is the dense built-up environment in many East Asian cities, and implementing these programs in condominiums and apartments is not easy. This is a problem even in major recycling countries such as Canada.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #384
Skyprince
Asian boi

Tokyo is the most futuristic city in the world. Period.
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM   #385
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Skyprince, I agree with u that HK could be less futuristic than Tokyo or Seoul but is no way less futuristic than KL or Shenyang. Just my humble opinion. And if possible, try to avoid dragging Malaysian and KL into the argument Because many ppl will mistakenly judge the country and city based on your remarks here

Cheers!

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:04 PM   #386
Skyprince
Asian boi

Thanks Lastresorter for remindin
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:15 PM   #387
Sinjin P.
TheLibotero

Likes (Received): 535

Dubai!
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #388
Lastresorter
Mi I.Ali - Loca Stoopa

Likes (Received): 6

Sinjin from Cebu? How did u change your nick? Wow u've become a moderator

@skyprince: no worries it's better to promote the place than getting caught in arguments

By the way, it seems like the discussion has been around Asian cities, what about other major cities in the world? Is Seattle futuristic? I think it is. London is very futuristic too along with its old charm.

- Regardless of race, language or religion, to build a democratic society, based on justice and equality, so as to achieve happiness, prosperity & progress for our nation.

Last edited by Lastresorter; December 12th, 2006 at 02:26 PM.
Lastresorter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2006, 02:46 PM   #389
Sinjin P.
TheLibotero

Likes (Received): 535

Yes, this is Sinjin. My nick has been changed for security purposes haha since someone knew my password so it has been changed aswell And thanks for the greeting
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:45 PM   #390
LeFemmeRouge

Likes (Received): 3

futuristic?

no doubt it's tokyo.

ok so hong kong has those neon lights that make it futuristic but i dnt think the services, infra, or technology like cellphones, camera's, to tv's and small little toys are at par with tokyo's. dubai? maybe, but services, infra and technology? not as much as tokyo.
LeFemmeRouge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:54 AM   #391
wiki

Likes (Received): 18

i think dubai is the most futuristic and shanghai too
wiki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #392
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeFemmeRouge View Post
futuristic?

no doubt it's tokyo.

ok so hong kong has those neon lights that make it futuristic but i dnt think the services, infra, or technology like cellphones, camera's, to tv's and small little toys are at par with tokyo's. dubai? maybe, but services, infra and technology? not as much as tokyo.
I think Tokyo has an edge over HK for infrastructure and technology but HK is still one of the best in Asia.

In terms of services, I think HK > Tokyo. HK is still Asia's financial capital.

Old December 14th, 2006, 10:29 AM   #393
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I think Tokyo has an edge over HK for infrastructure and technology but HK is still one of the best in Asia.

In terms of services, I think HK > Tokyo. HK is still Asia's financial capital.
Wait wait wait ... Japan has a far larger financial services industry. Tokyo is a huge financial centre, and is among the top 3 in the world (New York, London, Tokyo). Japanese banks have very large asset bases, and the market capitalisation of the Tokyo Stock Exchange is much larger than HKex.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old December 14th, 2006, 11:16 AM   #394
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Wait wait wait ... Japan has a far larger financial services industry. Tokyo is a huge financial centre, and is among the top 3 in the world (New York, London, Tokyo). Japanese banks have very large asset bases, and the market capitalisation of the Tokyo Stock Exchange is much larger than HKex.
Yes Tokyo is huge but most of their financial services is local. HK mostly serve the Asia Pacific region especially China. Alot of companies and banks have their Asia Pacific HQ in HK.

Old December 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #395
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

I think he meant servicing. Although what either finances or service sector have to do with futurism I have no flipping clue.
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #396
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Yes Tokyo is huge but most of their financial services is local. HK mostly serve the Asia Pacific region especially China. Alot of companies and banks have their Asia Pacific HQ in HK.
The 'Asia Pacific' reference is realistically an Asia ex-Japan function, since many multinationals have a separate subsidiary for Japan, which will likely headquarter in Tokyo. In terms of assets, capitalisation, and size, Japan is much bigger than Hong Kong or any other city in the region. Since East Asia alone is very diverse, the region is split into 3 primary areas with governance areas for each, such as Japan, North Asia including Greater China, and SE Asia. Hong Kong's key role is a headquarters city for Asia ex-Japan, ie. North Asia and SE Asia.

The services sector drives the knowledge-based economy and innovation, hence higher wages and an appetite to adopt more technology in daily lives.

Old December 15th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #397
haze

Likes (Received): 9

become a hub doesn't mean futuristic.
haze no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #398
_00_deathscar

No but the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Hong Kong is a hub, and is also futuristic. Likewise Tokyo.
Old December 15th, 2006, 06:37 AM   #399
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
There is only one answer : TOKYO ! Definitely Tokyo. Tokyo is very organized, boasts the latest technology, no visible poverty, no slums, superbly clean, well-restored relics of the past..

Old December 15th, 2006, 06:44 AM   #400
_00_deathscar

Hong Kong should get it just for the Octopus Card. World's greatest invention since the wheel.