daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM   #421
Cristov„o471
Registered User
 
Cristov„o471's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,997
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
Brasilia looks very very nice ! I also like Canberra , Astana, and cities alikes.
I live in Canberra, I wouldn't classify it as a futuristic city. Well planned but not futuristic, not for another 10 years. It's a new city but not futuristic at all.
Cristov„o471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:23 AM   #422
Cristov„o471
Registered User
 
Cristov„o471's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,997
Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post



















Most cities in the world have poor people. But for a city with 30 million in Asia, It would definatley be called the most futuristic city in everyway
Cristov„o471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:28 AM   #423
Cristov„o471
Registered User
 
Cristov„o471's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,997
Likes (Received): 12

and last thing people keep saying Manila is so futuristic.. have you actually been there? I have and it's not, behind Sydney I say. But still a cool city, but they have to fix their poverty and slums situation.
Cristov„o471 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM   #424
beaujoe
Registered User
 
beaujoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: FoCo, CO
Posts: 44
Likes (Received): 1

Most futuristic city today: Tokyo.

Most futuristc in 20 years: Shanghai (Most likely)
beaujoe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #425
melbguy
the city of extremes
 
melbguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: hamilton-melbourne-los angeles-melbourne
Posts: 79
Likes (Received): 0

Dubai in my opinion would be most futuristic, its an innovative city design, with all the new speciality districts (Dubai Cultural Village, Jebel Ali Free-Zone, Dubai Studio City, Dubai Internet City, etc etc) that have brand-new cutting edge buildings and structures and transportation network, with a lot of promise for the future. Plus almost every building in Dubai is futuristic, not to mention all the work Nakheel is doing offshore, the Palms, the Waterfront, the World etc etc, that should be considered futuristic in itself.
And the fact that Dubai is a city built for the future, and built in a matter of a few decades, surely means it is the most futuristic because it is practically the most modern, with much of the city newly built and the plans for the future is unparalleled. I don't know, just my opinion, but you have to admit, Dubai is one of the most futuristic cities in the world.
And i'm going to bring back a clichť phrase from the 50's, Dubai is a city on the move.



__________________
"Good morning good morning everybody, in the news this morning good morning"
melbguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #426
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,508
Likes (Received): 17827

Yes, a lot of cities appear futuristic (hardware) but also take the people / software into account. Third World cities look nice and new but it'll take some time to bring everyone out of poverty (or at least a reasonable amount out) in order for the general population to actually enjoy a 'futuristic' life.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #427
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,393
Likes (Received): 2576

The UAE isn't Third World isn't it?
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #428
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,508
Likes (Received): 17827

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
The UAE isn't Third World isn't it?
Quite obvious no. Take a look at the per capita incomes on an international NGO website.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #429
Skyprince
Asian boi
 
Skyprince's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Posts: 7,936

Will go to Dubai in 3 weeks ! Will see the progress made there after a year !
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #430
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,393
Likes (Received): 2576

Despite the no. of projects, developments, etc. Do you think Dubai has obtained world city status, at least in the "gamma" range?
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 08:41 AM   #431
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,508
Likes (Received): 17827

Skyscrapers can't determine how prominent a city is on the world stage. It's a poor indicator. Washington DC and Geneva are major government and NGO centres yet they are not dominated by skyscrapers.

Dubai's prosperity must be measured in terms of economic outputs and quality of life indicators. The number of projects may mean a booming economy, but a high growth rate at a low base doesn't mean much when compared to other established international financial centres such as New York and London.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:10 AM   #432
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,393
Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Skyscrapers can't determine how prominent a city is on the world stage. It's a poor indicator. Washington DC and Geneva are major government and NGO centres yet they are not dominated by skyscrapers.

Dubai's prosperity must be measured in terms of economic outputs and quality of life indicators. The number of projects may mean a booming economy, but a high growth rate at a low base doesn't mean much when compared to other established international financial centres such as New York and London.
I'm not talking about skyscrapers but like I said in the other threads, Dubai is positioning itself as the centre of the Middle East in terms of finance, economy, culture, etc.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #433
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,508
Likes (Received): 17827

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I'm not talking about skyscrapers but like I said in the other threads, Dubai is positioning itself as the centre of the Middle East in terms of finance, economy, culture, etc.
Dubai has been successful regionally, but the construction boom is not private-sector driven, which is quite unique when compared to other financial centres around the world. In international measures, they're still very small.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM   #434
melbguy
the city of extremes
 
melbguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: hamilton-melbourne-los angeles-melbourne
Posts: 79
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
Despite the no. of projects, developments, etc. Do you think Dubai has obtained world city status, at least in the "gamma" range?
By far Dubai would be atleast a 6 point Gamma world city, maybe even a 7 point Beta world city, although the GaWC has not yet recognised this. The reason i say this is that it is the cultural, economic and social centre of the Middle East. And it is vastly wealthy with its hugely increasing tourism industry and it's still strong oil trade. It has large headquarters for many major multi-national corporations. Not only are there huge developments going on, there are also already solidly grounded projects. Not to mention a great reputation overseas, all of this could definitely put Dubai up against cities such as Geneva, Dallas and even Seoul, but i better not say too much lol. Really just a matter of someone in high places recognising this.
__________________
"Good morning good morning everybody, in the news this morning good morning"
melbguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #435
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,393
Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbguy View Post
By far Dubai would be atleast a 6 point Gamma world city, maybe even a 7 point Beta world city, although the GaWC has not yet recognised this. The reason i say this is that it is the cultural, economic and social centre of the Middle East. And it is vastly wealthy with its hugely increasing tourism industry and it's still strong oil trade. It has large headquarters for many major multi-national corporations. Not only are there huge developments going on, there are also already solidly grounded projects. Not to mention a great reputation overseas, all of this could definitely put Dubai up against cities such as Geneva, Dallas and even Seoul, but i better not say too much lol. Really just a matter of someone in high places recognising this.
It's not just economy and business but also culture as well. Arabic influence may be present in it's architecture and skyscrapers but again, how about culture? Also, it's people. Do you know any known poets, scientists, actors, painters, writers that are from Dubai and are known around the world?

If London has Shakesphere, HK has Jackie Chan and Mexico City has Diego Rivera, what does Dubai have?
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:25 AM   #436
melbguy
the city of extremes
 
melbguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: hamilton-melbourne-los angeles-melbourne
Posts: 79
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
It's not just economy and business but also culture as well. Arabic influence may be present in it's architecture and skyscrapers but again, how about culture? Also, it's people. Do you know any known poets, scientists, actors, painters, writers that are from Dubai and are known around the world?

If London has Shakesphere, HK has Jackie Chan and Mexico City has Diego Rivera, what does Dubai have?

That's true, but if you see the old city in Dubai it is rich in it's Arabic heritage, it is very popular among tourists, and Dubai has the world's largest traditional Arabic market, where you can experience the great Arabic culture that is live and well in Dubai. And keep in mind that Dubai was only built a few decades ago, it doesn't quite have the history of cities such as London or Paris, but it does have it's future and the modern lifestyle, which makes this city probably the most futuristic.

And the fact the city does not have quite the same amount of poets, acientists, actors etc. is due to it being such a young city, it doesn't quite have that history but that's also a way to say it is a futuristic city beacuse it does not dwell in the past. Also Dubai just isn't a centre for poets and writers etc because those types of people have cities like New York and Paris to work in, Dubai isn't the place for those people, but i'm sure some people would beg to differ.

__________________
"Good morning good morning everybody, in the news this morning good morning"

Last edited by melbguy; January 26th, 2007 at 12:11 PM.
melbguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #437
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,508
Likes (Received): 17827

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
It's not just economy and business but also culture as well. Arabic influence may be present in it's architecture and skyscrapers but again, how about culture? Also, it's people. Do you know any known poets, scientists, actors, painters, writers that are from Dubai and are known around the world?

If London has Shakesphere, HK has Jackie Chan and Mexico City has Diego Rivera, what does Dubai have?
There is a lot of ignorance and misunderstanding in the West when it comes to Middle East culture. Newer cities such as Dubai, Shenzhen, and even New York do not have the history to support a wide cultural net, yet there are some notable exceptions. China has a very long history, and Korean and Japanese culture bear the fruits of China's cultural influence. Yet the US is a very young country but is still able to cast a huge cultural net around the world. Tokyo is a major international financial centre, yet few outside East Asia is influenced by its culture. In Japan's case, cross-border interaction may not be even relevant when assessing the size of its culture. In China's case, West Africa may not be influenced by Chinese culture yet that doesn't mean China's culture is insignificant.

By the way, Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon, not London.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:15 PM   #438
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...
 
gladisimo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SF, FC, HK
Posts: 2,525
Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
There is a lot of ignorance and misunderstanding in the West when it comes to Middle East culture. Newer cities such as Dubai, Shenzhen, and even New York do not have the history to support a wide cultural net, yet there are some notable exceptions. China has a very long history, and Korean and Japanese culture bear the fruits of China's cultural influence. Yet the US is a very young country but is still able to cast a huge cultural net around the world. Tokyo is a major international financial centre, yet few outside East Asia is influenced by its culture. In Japan's case, cross-border interaction may not be even relevant when assessing the size of its culture. In China's case, West Africa may not be influenced by Chinese culture yet that doesn't mean China's culture is insignificant.

By the way, Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon, not London.
It is interesting for you to bring up that point. Reading this I recall an interesting read about the definition of a "global city", found here

From the article, we note that while certain cities like Hong Kong and Singapore hold great economic power within the world playground, they do relatively little in terms of cultural influence compared to something like New York, or Paris.

While many cities in the world are crucial to the economic function of the globe as a whole, we see that, especially in modern day, only a few countries exert their cultural influence beyond their immediate regions. The United States is a notable exception. Over the past half century or so, Asian influence in general can also be seen throughout the Western and Eastern North America, but to a much lesser extent.
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #439
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,393
Likes (Received): 2576

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbguy View Post
That's true, but if you see the old city in Dubai it is rich in it's Arabic heritage, it is very popular among tourists, and Dubai has the world's largest traditional Arabic market, where you can experience the great Arabic culture that is live and well in Dubai. And keep in mind that Dubai was only built a few decades ago, it doesn't quite have the history of cities such as London or Paris, but it does have it's future and the modern lifestyle, which makes this city probably the most futuristic.

And the fact the city does not have quite the same amount of poets, acientists, actors etc. is due to it being such a young city, it doesn't quite have that history but that's also a way to say it is a futuristic city beacuse it does not dwell in the past. Also Dubai just isn't a centre for poets and writers etc because those types of people have cities like New York and Paris to work in, Dubai isn't the place for those people, but i'm sure some people would beg to differ.

Dubai is an old city but economic and urban developement just happened back in the early 90s. The city also has a rich Arabic heritage but the native Emiratis are only a minority in this city. I think the majority as Arabs from neighbouring countries like Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Yemen, etc.

Here's how I look at it, Dubai as it progress would not be just in business, finance and recreation. Modernization and globalization is also reaching it's residents especially the youths. Later on, the city will develop those dedicated to the arts whether it's music, poetry, visual art, etc.

BTW, there's a saying, It's not where you're from it's where you at.

Shakesphere is not born in London but he became known there.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #440
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,508
Likes (Received): 17827

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
It's not just economy and business but also culture as well. Arabic influence may be present in it's architecture and skyscrapers but again, how about culture? Also, it's people. Do you know any known poets, scientists, actors, painters, writers that are from Dubai and are known around the world?

If London has Shakesphere, HK has Jackie Chan and Mexico City has Diego Rivera, what does Dubai have?
Please also explain how culture plays into futurism as well. A modern society may still be very traditional. Japan is a good example of that. A modern society can also be very secular. The US is a good example of that.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu