daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #481
Unsing

Likes (Received): 10

You can't see by looking, but many buildings are built with significant technology, especially against an earthquake.

For example, Yokohama Landmark Tower has a pair of huge pendulums to reduce the shake to 30%. KDDI Building in Shinjuku is just a plain and ugly building in appearance, but actually designed to withstand an earthquake 10 times stronger than the Great Kanto Earthquake. In Harumi Triton Square, three blocks are joined up with two dampers.
Unsing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #482
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17804

Exactly ... just like people can't see basement farms or skygardens just by looking at the building from the street.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #483
Dhakaiya
Proud son of Bengal

Likes (Received): 1842

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
And if they do I prefer not to stay in one.
Well of course I meant U/C underwater hotels ,

Now, thats one place where I'd like to reside.

DHAKA- The Emerging City of the World.

The Land of opportunities!
Dhakaiya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #484
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 893

But there is no old architecture in Tokyo. The city looks like it was built entirely in the 80s.
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:00 AM   #485
Rizzato
Blue Collar

Likes (Received): 49

I would have to say Dubai because of the designs of their buildings, coupled with their pushing the envelope in many aspects.
Rizzato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:38 AM   #486
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
But there is no old architecture in Tokyo. The city looks like it was built entirely in the 80s.
There are some old buildings such as the one in Ginza.

Tokyo even during the 60s or 70s look futuristic.

Here's an image of Ginza during the 1950s

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #487
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Tokyo was bombed to the ground, much like a lot of German cities, during WW2. For historical architecture, visit Kyoto and Nara, the former imperial capitals.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 7th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #488
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

One thing I noticed with most Japanese cities are they mostly have overhead electricity lines unlike Euro cities which are underground. Its because Japan is more prone to earthquakes

Old March 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM   #489
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
One thing I noticed with most Japanese cities are they mostly have overhead electricity lines unlike Euro cities which are underground. Its because Japan is more prone to earthquakes
Having utilities buried underground poses a major safety risk in earthquake-prone regions. Many of the fires that arose from the Great Hanshin quake (Kobe/Osaka/Kansai region) were due to gas mains rupturing. Imagine electrical wires coming into contact with the underground gas mains if both are buried in near proximity.

Old March 7th, 2007, 12:40 PM   #490
Mr Bricks

I know Tokyo was bombed but look at Berlin and other Germans cities that got badly bombed in the war. They still have a lot more old architecture than Tokyo.
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM   #491
Unsing

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuomiPoika View Post
I know Tokyo was bombed but look at Berlin and other Germans cities that got badly bombed in the war. They still have a lot more old architecture than Tokyo.
Remember Japanese architecture is made of wood. Incendiary bombs burned out everything.
Unsing no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:16 PM   #492
Mr Bricks

So the whole city was flattened?
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:01 PM   #493
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Effectively, yes.

Anyway, it seems that people's definations of 'futuristic' vary. Here we seem to be equating futuristic with everyday adoption of new technology, that would be one element of what might make a place futuristic but only one I think. It really depends on what kind of future we're imagining.

Is it an ordered future where everything is run efficiently, the city is well planned and full of well designed modern buildings etc? In which case somewhere like Singapore might be considered most futuristic.

On the other hand are we imagining a Bladerunner (or others similar) type future where corporations run the show. From the distance all you see is a skyline of amazing corporate headquarters in 200 story skyscrapers but when you get up close, no sunlight reaches ground level and huge parts of the city are ghettos run by gangs and full of dirt poor people while the rich live a completely segregated life on the 100th floor. In which case maybe the closest thing we currently have is Sao Paolo, Johannesburg or even Shanghai with its amazing corporate skyscrapers not far from poor areas (I know that's likely an unfair reflection on these cities but they were the first that popped into my head).

Is our vision of the future one of a post apocalyptic world that has decended into complete anarchy? If so, Baghdad.

The technologically deterministic view of the future that's been talked about here is only one such view. Perhaps a better way of discussing this would be to name a city, explain how that city exemplifies a particular vision of the future and maybe point to similar examples in books, movies etc.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #494
hkskyline
Hong Kong

A bit earlier, I floated an idea of sustainable development as a futuristic element. That and the adoption of new technology would be easier to measure, although not necessarily easily quantifiable. Efficiency would not be a good measure of futurism. For example, dictatorships and one-party states are incredibly efficient. Their proposals can become reality quickly as they neither need to consult nor seek approval. While the process itself is efficient, the plan itself may not be. An example would be the demolition of hutong neighborhoods in Beijing. The government said they'll redevelop them, and people were kicked out. Incredibly efficient. Is it futuristic? Well, what is coming up in those razed lands?

Old March 8th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #495
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Effectively, yes.

Anyway, it seems that people's definations of 'futuristic' vary. Here we seem to be equating futuristic with everyday adoption of new technology, that would be one element of what might make a place futuristic but only one I think. It really depends on what kind of future we're imagining.

Is it an ordered future where everything is run efficiently, the city is well planned and full of well designed modern buildings etc? In which case somewhere like Singapore might be considered most futuristic.

On the other hand are we imagining a Bladerunner (or others similar) type future where corporations run the show. From the distance all you see is a skyline of amazing corporate headquarters in 200 story skyscrapers but when you get up close, no sunlight reaches ground level and huge parts of the city are ghettos run by gangs and full of dirt poor people while the rich live a completely segregated life on the 100th floor. In which case maybe the closest thing we currently have is Sao Paolo, Johannesburg or even Shanghai with its amazing corporate skyscrapers not far from poor areas (I know that's likely an unfair reflection on these cities but they were the first that popped into my head).

Is our vision of the future one of a post apocalyptic world that has decended into complete anarchy? If so, Baghdad.

The technologically deterministic view of the future that's been talked about here is only one such view. Perhaps a better way of discussing this would be to name a city, explain how that city exemplifies a particular vision of the future and maybe point to similar examples in books, movies etc.
I can imagine a Blade Runner style future. Johannesburg on the other hand is a bit different than Sampa or Shanghai. It's skyscrapers are mostly in the city centre. I kinda look at the skyline similar to most mid-size US cities.

Old March 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM   #496
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I hope aspirations for the future won't degenerate into a war-torn anarchy. I thought we're supposed to progress forward, not backward.

Old March 8th, 2007, 11:30 AM   #497
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I hope aspirations for the future won't degenerate into a war-torn anarchy. I thought we're supposed to progress forward, not backward.
I also hope that won't happen. But to be honest, life today is much better compared to the mid 20th century or before.

Old March 8th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #498
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
I also hope that won't happen. But to be honest, life today is much better compared to the mid 20th century or before.
Well, depends on where you live. The trend has been for the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer.

Old March 8th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #499
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Anyone who's interested, take a look at this:
http://www.foresight.gov.uk/Previous...arios_2055.pdf

I'm finding it an interesting read. Definately Tokyo is probably the closest thing that exists now to the 'Perpetual Motion' scenario.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #500
Garfieldfan

Likes (Received): 2

I Can't tell which is the most futuristic. It depnds on the technology. So I think that Tokyo or somewhat is futuristic.
Garfieldfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote