daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #541
bonivison
Registered User
 
bonivison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 772
Likes (Received): 49

besides
Beijing has a lot of new skyscrapers of great design under construction
Beijing will be one of the most futuristic city after 2008
bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:34 AM   #542
Mahratta
Ayatollah
 
Mahratta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,125
Likes (Received): 17

Shanghai
__________________
Leuven | Antwerp | Amsterdam | Bruges | Gent | Brussels | Chicago | Costa Rica | Vasai | Bombay
Mahratta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #543
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17799

While Chinese cities adopt very futuristic architectural designs, it's time to bring the standard of living up across the board so residents can fully enjoy what technology has to offer today.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:05 AM   #544
meghnarmajhi
Tetulia theke Teknaf
 
meghnarmajhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,867
Likes (Received): 0

Beijing and Shanghai
meghnarmajhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #545
Ephemeral Fever
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 9
Likes (Received): 0

I agree... Chinese and Japanese cities look more futuristic than Dubai, and I'm from Dubai.
Ephemeral Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #546
DG
Emirian Lady
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Dubai/Paris
Posts: 996
Likes (Received): 4

now Tokyo
later (within 5 yrs) Dubai
DG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 02:28 AM   #547
VaastuShastra
BANNED
 
VaastuShastra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,434

Right now it has to be Tokyo - but who knows what the future might hold?
VaastuShastra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 08:35 AM   #548
steve_skyline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,962
Likes (Received): 403

Have been to many major asia cities. Some parts of Tokyo, Shanghai and HK are VERY futuristic. Many of the East Asian cities are futuristic but the most futuristic cities in Asia are Tokyo, Shanghai and HK. Not sure abt d American/European counterparts. I take into acc for below criteria to judge:-

1) Modernity
2) Street scene
3) Architecture
4) Fashionable
5) Floor planning
6) Surroundings environment
steve_skyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #549
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,388
Likes (Received): 2572

In the US, I find Las Vegas futuristic
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM   #550
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17799

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_skyline View Post
Have been to many major asia cities. Some parts of Tokyo, Shanghai and HK are VERY futuristic. Many of the East Asian cities are futuristic but the most futuristic cities in Asia are Tokyo, Shanghai and HK. Not sure abt d American/European counterparts. I take into acc for below criteria to judge:-

1) Modernity
2) Street scene
3) Architecture
4) Fashionable
5) Floor planning
6) Surroundings environment
That's a pretty good set of criteria. Here's my take :
1) Modernity - Tokyo, especially since Japan is a very high-tech society to begin with.
2) Street scene - Tokyo, which certainly has a lot of very neon squares and intersections.
3) Architecture - Shanghai, where architects are open to designing bold experiments, but Japan has been using very innovative methods to solve their space constraints over the years.
4) Fashionable - Tokyo
5) Floor planning - not too sure what this is, but if it's about how efficiently space is utilized, then Japan should be tops, and Tokyo has a lot of examples to show.
6) Surrounding environment - Japan's technological prowess certainly puts living at a whole different level from the rest of the world.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM   #551
hkskyline
Hong Kong
 
hkskyline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 86,491
Likes (Received): 17799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemeral Fever View Post
I agree... Chinese and Japanese cities look more futuristic than Dubai, and I'm from Dubai.
I notice some cultural distinctions in many of the new Middle East skyscraper designs, whereas China has adopted a more international-style approach to its skyscraper boom.
__________________
Hong Kong Photo Gallery - Click Here for the Hong Kong Galleries

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #552
ignoramus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,020
Likes (Received): 4

Tokyo for the foreseeable future...

Nothing comes close.

Technology itself has woven itself into the lives of every Japanese in a way not seen anywhere else.

Tall buildings and neon lights are merely for the eyes.

Last edited by ignoramus; August 17th, 2007 at 12:44 AM.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #553
bonivison
Registered User
 
bonivison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 772
Likes (Received): 49

maybe
modernized is different to futuristic
we mistook a conception
bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 12:02 PM   #554
Gaeus
500-Internal Server Error
 
Gaeus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 1,498
Likes (Received): 87

Its no doubt that many Asian Cities are more futuristic than other continents in the world. "Most" European and Northern American cities are already established and already got a name on its own. So putting modern buildings in it may destroy the skyline or the cultural vibrancy (like Paris Montparnasse Tower). Remember that Asian technology started with Japan. So in my opinion, futuristic cities should be define as "modern look" or "modern classic". For some reason, Asians are also into modern gadgets/technologies (in short, geeky but not nerdy). That maybe the reason why they have one of the most futuristic buildings.

A TRUE MODERN (FUTURISTIC)
1. Tokyo - do I need to explain it?
2. Hong Kong - the neon lights, skyscrapers and the way of life is almost the same with Japan.
3. Shanghai - it keeps growing and may overcome Hong Kong in 20 years if it maintains its GDP growth. The city is comparable to Manhattan of 1920s.
4. Seoul
5. Singapore

**NOMINATIONS**
**New York -- It is #6 in my list but forgive me because I only pick 5.
**Dubai -- I will until most of its projects is completed in 2012.
**Mumbai -- with its double digit GDP growth, it will be next Shanghai. I will until 2015.


MODERN CLASSIC - to my definition, these are the cities that embrace classic architectures. However, beneath those antique buildings are the most modern of all the technologies. Here is my list.

1. Zurich - google Zurich for innovation and you will be surprise!
2. London
3. Munich
4. Paris
5. San Francisco

NOMINATIONS:
**Vienna**
**Madrid**
**Stockholm**
**Amsterdam**
**Tel Aviv**

It is surprising that there are only one American city on the list and not even at my top five. I am an American and I know the situation here. Unlike Asia and Europe, American modernity is less concentrated in urban areas. It is embracing more in suburban areas such as the Silicon Valley and the Durham-Raleigh Area. We have more empty lands here so we are taking advantage of it. This will be my list for this category.

1. Silicon Valley - needs explenation?
2. Washington DC and vicinity - more professionals than anywhere in US and it has the highest salary per household in US.
3. Walter-Raleigh Area - Silicon Valley of the east
4. Minneapolis and vicinity
5. San Diego County

nominations:
**Newark Regional Area**
**Seattle Regional Area**
**Austin and vicinity**
**Orange County**
**Philadelphia and vicinity**
**Boston Regional Area**
__________________
GO REDSKINS!!!!!
Gaeus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #555
goschio
proud Kuffar
 
goschio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ujerumani
Posts: 6,048
Likes (Received): 4202

Dubai for sure.
__________________
Isaiah 28:2
Behold, the Lord hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast down to the earth with the hand.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #556
benficafan1013
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Boston!
Posts: 39
Likes (Received): 0

Tokyo and Hong Kong =)
__________________
PORTUGAL
A Team, a country, a family united
The Portugal Forum
#1 fansite for WWE's Undertaker
benficafan1013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:19 AM   #557
bonivison
Registered User
 
bonivison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 772
Likes (Received): 49

some new buildings in Beijing
















Last edited by bonivison; August 31st, 2007 at 09:31 AM.
bonivison no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM   #558
Manila-X
PINOY MOD
 
Manila-X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: MANILA
Posts: 14,388
Likes (Received): 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaeus View Post
Its no doubt that many Asian Cities are more futuristic than other continents in the world. "Most" European and Northern American cities are already established and already got a name on its own. So putting modern buildings in it may destroy the skyline or the cultural vibrancy (like Paris Montparnasse Tower). Remember that Asian technology started with Japan. So in my opinion, futuristic cities should be define as "modern look" or "modern classic". For some reason, Asians are also into modern gadgets/technologies (in short, geeky but not nerdy). That maybe the reason why they have one of the most futuristic buildings.

A TRUE MODERN (FUTURISTIC)
1. Tokyo - do I need to explain it?
2. Hong Kong - the neon lights, skyscrapers and the way of life is almost the same with Japan.
3. Shanghai - it keeps growing and may overcome Hong Kong in 20 years if it maintains its GDP growth. The city is comparable to Manhattan of 1920s.
4. Seoul
5. Singapore

**NOMINATIONS**
**New York -- It is #6 in my list but forgive me because I only pick 5.
**Dubai -- I will until most of its projects is completed in 2012.
**Mumbai -- with its double digit GDP growth, it will be next Shanghai. I will until 2015.


MODERN CLASSIC - to my definition, these are the cities that embrace classic architectures. However, beneath those antique buildings are the most modern of all the technologies. Here is my list.

1. Zurich - google Zurich for innovation and you will be surprise!
2. London
3. Munich
4. Paris
5. San Francisco

NOMINATIONS:
**Vienna**
**Madrid**
**Stockholm**
**Amsterdam**
**Tel Aviv**

It is surprising that there are only one American city on the list and not even at my top five. I am an American and I know the situation here. Unlike Asia and Europe, American modernity is less concentrated in urban areas. It is embracing more in suburban areas such as the Silicon Valley and the Durham-Raleigh Area. We have more empty lands here so we are taking advantage of it. This will be my list for this category.

1. Silicon Valley - needs explenation?
2. Washington DC and vicinity - more professionals than anywhere in US and it has the highest salary per household in US.
3. Walter-Raleigh Area - Silicon Valley of the east
4. Minneapolis and vicinity
5. San Diego County

nominations:
**Newark Regional Area**
**Seattle Regional Area**
**Austin and vicinity**
**Orange County**
**Philadelphia and vicinity**
**Boston Regional Area**
Silicon Valley is questionable. I stay in Sta. Clara when I visit the Bay Area and while I was there, I do visit Cupertino and nearby areas. They may be a centre of the computer industry but the rest of the city, I don't find it that futuristic.
__________________
Manila X-Perience, My collection of images around Metro Manila

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:19 AM   #559
null
Mind Reader
 
null's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,499
Likes (Received): 1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
Please stop a joke.
A fashion of Shanghai is considerably delayed.
Future English?
null no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:38 PM   #560
z0rg
fok julle naaiers
 
z0rg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Madrid
Posts: 24,723
Likes (Received): 15911

Hm, what kind of futurism are we talking about?

You can't find things like this out of China


Dubai is a good one too, another style, so is Tokyo. Anyway, people confuse futurism with modernity. New York might be modern, but it is not futuristic at all, rather classy, too 20th Centurish.
__________________
What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder and stronger.

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu