daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 12th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #701
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

Likes (Received): 19048

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3006/...fe8b9093_o.jpg
image hosted on flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

QuantumX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #702
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3028/...6ccba5fb_o.jpg
image hosted on flickr
"I'm going to bet you that when we're done --- I don't know when that will be --- historians will identify this as the most significant and rapid transformation of an American city.'' Former Miami City Commissioner Johnny Winton 05/22/2005

My photo threads:

Old June 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #703
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

What's there in Berlin to be considered a Futuristic city? ... or in any other city in the Ol' continent.
I can cheat you blind.

AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM   #704
Skyprince
Asian boi

I don't understand why some people say Dubai is the most futuristic city ? I think they haven't seen or been yet to Japan .

Yes I like Dubai and yes it has a nice skyline especially the one along Sheikh Zayed road, but:

1) Transportation system is not good .
2) It's hardly walkable.
3) Where are vending machines and amazingly automated toilets as in Japanese cities ?
Skyprince no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #705
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyprince View Post
I don't understand why some people say Dubai is the most futuristic city ? I think they haven't seen or been yet to Japan .

Yes I like Dubai and yes it has a nice skyline especially the one along Sheikh Zayed road, but:

1) Transportation system is not good .
2) It's hardly walkable.
3) Where are vending machines and amazingly automated toilets as in Japanese cities ?
I don't understand it either. Dubai isn’t even the present let alone the future.

There is a bizarre and desperately depressing irony in a country building a city in an attempt to wean its economy off of oil which is itself dependant on the car.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2008, 12:21 AM   #706
QuantumX
One Brickell CityCentre

What I like about Dubai though is the fact that to me, it is the city that most looks like Courescant, the capital of the known galaxy, from "Stars Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith."

My photo threads:

Old June 13th, 2008, 04:09 AM   #707
princeofseoul
digging

Likes (Received): 477

If the oil price continues to goes up as it does, then the cities in the future will become more and more like the newly developed high density regions in cities today. North York Centre or Harbourfront in Toronto come to mind. Korean cities also have this type of development. About the coin-operated vending machines and the shibuya/times square neons -- that's not the future, it's the 1960s lol.
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #708
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6574

miami is america's most futuristic city new york is nearly 1900s
BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 12:34 AM   #709
rob mc

Likes (Received): 0

There is no way in hell Dubai could recognised as one of the most futuristic cities!! sure it has a nice skyline,but all that is built from slave labour,and half the country life in shanty towns!!!I believe economy and overall wealth of the people should play a big part in deciding the most futuristic city!!And if people are going to say Berlin then id have to say Frankfurt is much more futuristic then that:
[IMG]http://www.*******************/europe/germany/images/s/germany-frankfurt.jpg[/IMG]

Plus it had the biggest economy in the Eu in 2003 and is listed as one of the 6 major Alpha world cities.One of the biggest Airports in Europe a great road network and a pretty sweet ass skyline!!
rob mc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:12 AM   #710
bhopalus

Likes (Received): 11

going by conventional definitions, by FAR definitely TOKYO

Chinese cities - they are industrial blobs, definitely not modern. Shanghai may have that one cool space-ship type tower, but having only a few supertalls and a weird spaceship don't make a city futuristic. you have to look at the bigger picture.

Dubai - tall buildings alone do not make a city futuristic. any country with oil can do that. but creating an extremely creative and industrious populace and all those weirdo gadgets and electronic stuff and video games and all is NOT easy. dubai will never reach tokyo's level of modernity. it's not just the buildings, it's the fashion, it's the transportation, it's the sleekness of stuff, the sexual openness, the business, etc that makes a city futuristic.
bhopalus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:15 AM   #711
bhopalus

Everyone here is really biased, because definitely the most futuristic living is in America.

America is wealthy, so they don't have to pile every tom, dick and harry into a tiny crowded urban blob. America has things called SUBURBS and open space. just middle class people are wealthy enough to be able to afford 500K houses and drive 2-3 cars to their place of work. Is this not the future? In America, people just 15 years old get cars and do things that in most cities few do. The future should be green and in tune with the environment, not a bunch of tall glass and steel towers and inner city crime, pollution, congestion, etc. America has this.

so...SAN DIEGO or AUSTIN are the most futuristic cities
Old July 1st, 2008, 01:26 AM   #712
Scion

Likes (Received): 4253

Suburbs are not futuristic.
Scion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:10 AM   #713
bhopalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
Suburbs are not futuristic.
Why not? Futuristic doesn't have to just be crowded and industrial. Silicon Valley (SF) and Silicon Hills (Austin) represents the future. No downtowns, just mid-height buildings built on the hills. Most people are employed in the high tech industry and the internet-rich are the elite. People's lives are better (more stuff, more land, bigger houses, etc). Cities are not congested, filthy and polluted. There are trees, grass and hills all around, but even more wealth.

In what way is this not futuristic?
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:39 AM   #714
skyboi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 77

The look of Suburbs don't look very futuristic unless they have the ultra modern architectures surrounding it , Futuristic City has to have futuristic visualisation
skyboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2008, 02:40 AM   #715
BrickellResidence

Likes (Received): 6574

there's no way a suburb is futuristic all canadian,american,mexican cities has suburbs.
BrickellResidence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 11:38 AM   #716
Scion

Likes (Received): 4253

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhopalus View Post
Why not? Futuristic doesn't have to just be crowded and industrial. Silicon Valley (SF) and Silicon Hills (Austin) represents the future. No downtowns, just mid-height buildings built on the hills. Most people are employed in the high tech industry and the internet-rich are the elite. People's lives are better (more stuff, more land, bigger houses, etc). Cities are not congested, filthy and polluted. There are trees, grass and hills all around, but even more wealth.

In what way is this not futuristic?
Silicon Valley is not the one and only suburb in the world. You've never seen crime and pollution in sprawling suburbs? You've never seen low-incomers in suburbs? Maybe walking around Watts will give you a bigger picture of "suburb".

This Miami suburb doesn't look too inviting either

Now let's step outside the US...which one is better? The skyscrapers in the background or the low rise in the foreground?

Since you've singled out Silicon Valley and Silicon Hills, I'll also single out parts of downtown HK...
As you can see, not all high rise areas are filthy and polluted

And as you can also see in the following, congestion exists in the suburbs too
image hosted on flickr

Last edited by Scion; July 2nd, 2008 at 11:46 AM.
Scion está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2008, 10:31 PM   #717
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
image hosted on flickr
Where the hell is that?
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:22 AM   #718
Khanabadosh

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhopalus View Post
going by conventional definitions, by FAR definitely TOKYO

Chinese cities - they are industrial blobs, definitely not modern. Shanghai may have that one cool space-ship type tower, but having only a few supertalls and a weird spaceship don't make a city futuristic. you have to look at the bigger picture.

Dubai - tall buildings alone do not make a city futuristic. any country with oil can do that. but creating an extremely creative and industrious populace and all those weirdo gadgets and electronic stuff and video games and all is NOT easy. dubai will never reach tokyo's level of modernity. it's not just the buildings, it's the fashion, it's the transportation, it's the sleekness of stuff, the sexual openness, the business, etc that makes a city futuristic.
Oil sector contribution to Dubai GDP is less than 5 %
Khanabadosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:24 AM   #719
Khanabadosh

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey77 View Post
Where the hell is that?
This is photoshoped
Khanabadosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #720
buildmilehightower
NANI Luis Almeida Cunha

Likes (Received): 240

Only the space needle makes it look futuristic. Still good.
buildmilehightower no está en línea   Reply With Quote