daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #761
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I think Hong Kong starts to lose out primarily because of its train system. Shanghai is already using the Maglev (Magnetic levitation) technology, while HK still uses the old "Track" technology.

The trains in HK that run from City to airport run at an operational speed of 135 km/ hr. Maglev? 431 km/hr. More than 3 times of that in HK.

In other words, people would have to take more time to travel from airport to city. Shanghai's Maglev only needs 8 minutes to run through 30 km of track. HK? 23 minutes for 36 km of track.

So yes, Shanghai is starting to boom up, while Tokyo is still maintaining top spot. Hope HK gets more projects done to keep up before it too, gets outclassed.
Do we really need a train booming around at 430 km/hour in our tiny city?
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #762
Dazon
Oceana Community Union

Likes (Received): 1031

Quote:
Originally Posted by potipoti View Post
Dubai and Shanghai
agree with u!
Dazon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #763
The Terminator

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by _00_deathscar View Post
Do we really need a train booming around at 430 km/hour in our tiny city?
Technically, yes. Just in the Airport Express track though. We wouldn't want a 400 km/hr train stopping like every few kilometers in the normal MTR tracks we're using now. But in the case of the Airport Express track, its 36 km. Longer than that of Shanghai's 30km Maglev rail. Though eliminating the thought that it would not be a straight shot like Shanghai's, it has 5 stops.
The Terminator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #764
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Hong Kong

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jozersp...7615999198742/

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sylvain...017626/?page=2

Last edited by Skybean; March 28th, 2009 at 05:58 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #765
christos-greece
Moderator!

Likes (Received): 240674

Most futuristic cities:
Dubai
Shanghai
Hong Kong
christos-greece no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #766
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by christos-greece View Post
Most futuristic cities:
Dubai
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #767
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

I would think that the most futuristic city isn't one that is full of modern architecture.
I would think it is a city that has many grand classic structures and buildings in classic styles while still having modern structures and architecture.
Also, it should have the most well taken care of population, it must be socially progressive and have a government that the local population is content with.
A city that is very green and is able to take care of itself.

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #768
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1318

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppenwolf View Post
By the looks of these pictures people think the future is an exaggerated version of the present?

Taller?

Bigger?

More congested?

brighter?

newer?

Thats my idea of a present day city. Full of flaws and completely contributing to damaging the planet irrevocably.
My hopes for futuristic cities arere that they will be:

Sustainable

Compact

walkable with good public transport

respectful of heritage and good recycling of old buildings

green!

I would say the most futiistic cities by that definition are ones a bit like this - I can only hope this is a vision of the future:

image hosted on flickr
Exactly.
Today's modern styles do not mean futuristic.
What if in a few decades people stop using modern styles and build in more ornate classic ones?
What if modern becomes outdated and tacky?

"I don’t know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:35 AM   #769
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Technically, yes. Just in the Airport Express track though. We wouldn't want a 400 km/hr train stopping like every few kilometers in the normal MTR tracks we're using now. But in the case of the Airport Express track, its 36 km. Longer than that of Shanghai's 30km Maglev rail. Though eliminating the thought that it would not be a straight shot like Shanghai's, it has 5 stops.
Exactly.

Hong Kong to Kowloon Station right now is what...a couple of minutes? Then another stop to Tsing Yi.

I don't think it would work, unless you set up a direct link between Hong Kong > Airport and/or Kowloon > Airport. That might be feasible for the speed of the train, but then it would lack demand (or the Hong Kong > Kowloon > Tsing Yi > Airport > Expo route would have be closed down, and people living in Tsing Yi would have to find an alternate route to the Airport)

Last edited by _00_deathscar; March 30th, 2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #770
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper100 View Post
dubai
And why is Dubai the most futuristic? Because it have the tallest building and the biggest mall ?

The mass transit sistem is weak (don't even have a finished metro), the places you can entertain yourself are limited (only malls, few theatres, museums, all kind of places to have fun), lack of great universities, hospitals (I know dubai have somme of them, but they can't match the ones from Tokio, Paris, even Moscow), the amout of services you can have (Probably New York and Tokyo are the best)

And above all them, the mentality is still in the middle ages... (much better than the neighbours tough)

P.S.
Now, if the future is a dry planet, with our cities in the desert, then Dubai is Very futuristic. )

P.S.2
Even if is only the most futuristic skyline, I think Shanghai is the winner...

luci203 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:55 PM   #771
bonivison

Likes (Received): 49

Hongkong Tokyo Shanghai Dubai
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM   #772
leetroy

Likes (Received): 26

The fastest growing city in the world

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

[IMG]http://i42.************/nmjnub.png[/IMG]
leetroy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:25 PM   #773
Baboulinet

Likes (Received): 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey77 View Post

i agree !
and why dubai has many skycrapers when the city has only 2 million habitant and when the city is in a desert ? ...

dubai , the most ridiculous city on earth!

most futuristic city in world ?
tokyo or HK i think !
Baboulinet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 09:34 PM   #774
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 229

Id say Paris.

Many buildings and blocks are the same height for miles around, showing good growth and its got its own style, in the future, I guess many cities will seek their own style after this era of glass and steel. Like on an image in the future art thread on the city issues forum, I think for miles and miles cities will be 20 storey blocks as far as the eye can see with skyscrapers of future times sticking out of the top to break up a sea of roof tops.

I also think Dubai will become a s**thole, like all good concepts its fine to begin with - infact its fun and exciting, but what happens in 20 years time when Dubai is no longer interesting or theres nothing new to attract tourists?

If dubai carries on building, do the rich move to the new skyscrapers and the current ones become slums?
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:07 PM   #775
icracked
Kulia I Ka Nu'u

Likes (Received): 42

Dubai
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #776
aljuarez
México

Likes (Received): 2340

Tokyo!
By the 60s the world was already obsessed with how modern it was becoming. The process hasn't been painless, for sure, but probably no other city manages to blend so successfully the huge and the tiny, tradition and modernity, order and fun. Take, for instance, the shops, which range from some of the largest department stores in the world to the cutest small boutiques you'll ever see. Wander away from the thoroughfares and you may find yourself in immaculate alleys, full of flowers, almost absurdly rural. I hope all big cities can maintain that human scale amidst all that construction in the future!
aljuarez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #777
bobbie501
World Entertainer.

Likes (Received): 60

My list
North America-Chicago,Miami,Seattle,Vancouver,Toronto.
Europe-Frankfurt,Zurich,Munich.
Asia-Tokyo,HK,Singapore,KL.
Australia-Melbourne,Perth,Sydney.

"Time itself is the solution to all problems." -P.V.N.R
bobbie501 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #778
_00_deathscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljuarez View Post
Tokyo!
By the 60s the world was already obsessed with how modern it was becoming. The process hasn't been painless, for sure, but probably no other city manages to blend so successfully the huge and the tiny, tradition and modernity, order and fun. Take, for instance, the shops, which range from some of the largest department stores in the world to the cutest small boutiques you'll ever see. Wander away from the thoroughfares and you may find yourself in immaculate alleys, full of flowers, almost absurdly rural. I hope all big cities can maintain that human scale amidst all that construction in the future!
That's a good description, but I don't think it's really all that different from any other major city?

If you hadn't mentioned Tokyo, I could quite easily have believed you were speaking of Hong Kong.
Old April 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #779
Ribarca

Likes (Received): 3267

I don't see the futuristic part of Hong Kong. Unless it means the future cities mainly have tall concrete buildings. Other cities have more futuristic infrastructure (Shanghai, Madrid) and European has much more avantgarde architecture.

Futuristic cities are hopefully as well planned as Paris or Barcelona.

Hong Kong by Xavibarca, www.xavibarca.com
Ribarca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #780
Langur
Londinium langur

Likes (Received): 1640

Quote:
I think Hong Kong starts to lose out primarily because of its train system. Shanghai is already using the Maglev (Magnetic levitation) technology, while HK still uses the old "Track" technology.

The trains in HK that run from City to airport run at an operational speed of 135 km/ hr. Maglev? 431 km/hr. More than 3 times of that in HK.

In other words, people would have to take more time to travel from airport to city. Shanghai's Maglev only needs 8 minutes to run through 30 km of track. HK? 23 minutes for 36 km of track.

So yes, Shanghai is starting to boom up, while Tokyo is still maintaining top spot. Hope HK gets more projects done to keep up before it too, gets outclassed.
Yeah but the Shanghai Maglev isn't good infrastructure. It takes 8 thrilling minutes but drops you in a useless place where nobody wants to go. You then have a complex interchange with the Shanghai metro which takes a further 15 minutes before you get to anywhere useful. Hong Kong's airport train takes 20 minutes to Kowloon (right under the new ICC) and 24 minutes to Central. It's direct and takes you over some of the world's most spectacular bridges and past HK's thrilling mixture of mountains, sea, and extreme high-rise density. It's also much more frequent than the Maglev. In every way it's a better planned piece of infrastructure.

Shanghai's metro also has lines crossing one another with no interchange whatsoever! Paris's Metro does this too, but I can forgive Paris. Their metro is much older. It was one of the pioneers. However new metro systems should learn from past errors and avoid them. Hong Kong's system has done exactly that and its interchanges are efficient and well planned.

Neither city is my choice for the most futuristic, however. That honour goes to Tokyo. There is plenty of dated concrete in Tokyo, but there's far more technology, neon, digitial screens, and otherworldly cyberpunk fashions than anywhere else.
Langur no está en línea   Reply With Quote