daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 24th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #981
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Likes (Received): 40

"Not all that glitters is gold." Sure, Dubai looks futuristic, but what makes it futuristic other than that?

My vote for the most futuristic city does, in fact, go to New York. To me, being futuristic isn't about what looks futuristic. It's about leading for the future and adapting as times change. They're replacing their entire taxi fleet with Ford hybrids. They're adding more bike lanes and pedestrian plazas. So, for everyone who says cities that have popped up over night are futuristic because they have tall, shiny skyscrapers, that's pretty bogus.

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #982
Innsertnamehere
insertoronto

Likes (Received): 678

dubai would be, if the whole thing wasn't under construction. in 5 years, when everything is done, it will definably be the most futuristic city.
Innsertnamehere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #983
_00_deathscar

Likes (Received): 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post
"Not all that glitters is gold." Sure, Dubai looks futuristic, but what makes it futuristic other than that?

My vote for the most futuristic city does, in fact, go to New York. To me, being futuristic isn't about what looks futuristic. It's about leading for the future and adapting as times change. They're replacing their entire taxi fleet with Ford hybrids. They're adding more bike lanes and pedestrian plazas. So, for everyone who says cities that have popped up over night are futuristic because they have tall, shiny skyscrapers, that's pretty bogus.
Precisely. Being a 'futuristic' city is about sustainable living and how the city makes it easier for it's people. It's not a dick contest about who can build the tallest.

Sure, Dubai now is far more 'futuristic' compared to Dubai 5 years ago - but on a global scale...? Look to cities like Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore etc...
_00_deathscar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #984
What_The_Face
BANNED

Likes (Received): 533

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Alchemist View Post
I imagine the cities of the future not just as high-technologic, but also with a very modern design, maybe minimalistic design. Without the classical sea of skyscrapers, with losts of open spaces and green spaces. And of course also quite ecologic.
I agree with you 100%

Seriously, Dubai is like the 80's fashion; Big hair, heavy make-up, purple lipstick, gold metallic high heel shoes and a leopard print coat... I mean It's the epitome of excess and tackiness. That is just not the future. Hopefully.
What_The_Face no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:43 AM   #985
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10396

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatDarnSacramentan View Post

Tokyo already has what New York is adding now... Actually Tokyo is changing their hybrid fleets to entire electric taxis.

Also if the definition for the most futuristic is the current changes the city is making, then chinese cities are the most futuristic.

Last edited by ukiyo; October 25th, 2010 at 07:51 AM.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:15 AM   #986
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Well, no, you kinda missed my point. I don't really consider Chinese cities futuristic because they're being built out of sheer need (ie Shenzhen). What I use to determine the futuristicity, I guess, of a city is its adaptability and sustainability.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:41 AM   #987
ukiyo

I would agree with that criteria (and other things like current infrastructure) but I would rate several cities above NYC for sustainability and adaptability.

When I look at the picture of Dubai it doesn't really look futuristic to me (I would have to see the street level scene). If the thread title was "most futuristic skyline" then I would agree with Dubai being up there.
Old October 25th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #988
ThatDarnSacramentan
The Punk With the Camera

Exactly. If it were Most Futuristic Skyline, Dubai wold be up near the top in my books. But there's a fundamental difference between a skyline and a city. A skyline is a work of art. A city is a machine. One looks good, the other has to work well.
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:42 AM   #989
GulfArabia

Likes (Received): 1513

you check this out guys

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

[IMG]http://i42.************/20z7dbr.jpg[/IMG]

Riyadh will beat Dubai very soon :p

SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments
RIYADH l King Abdullah Financial District | U/C
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1232321
GulfArabia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 10:16 PM   #990
Mike____
(╯░□░)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

not really

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 06:42 AM   #991
ProTho

Likes (Received): 1

Dubai the most futuristic? Feels like a ghost city at street level. Also, how can a city where internet content is regulated be the most futuristic...Futuristic isn't just about the looks.
ProTho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM   #992
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

Currently I'd say Hong Kong due to its maturity and density, tall reflective appearance. The frenetic pace and transport, and the overhead walkways and bridges all over HK island.

Shanghai is also a contender, esp due to it's architecture, OPTower and SWFC look rather extraneous and futuristic. Maglev also helps.

Tokyo seems like a large, dense, futuristic metropolis a bit bladerunneresque. Crazy elevated rail and roads, lighting, monorails, a plethora of train types, vending machines, odd space-saving ideas. The place is really ecclectic.

Dubai is still too new and lacking the density to be considered IMO. From a distance the skyline does resemble Coruscant quite well.

Last edited by Avatar; November 1st, 2010 at 10:07 AM.
Avatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2010, 01:57 AM   #993
Mike____
(╯░□░)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

GUANGZHOU looks pretty fututistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuri1986 View Post
[IMG]http://i54.************/r06qhf.jpg[/IMG]

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 11:31 PM   #994
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10125

What an interesting thread !

First of all what do you define as futuristic ? From what I've seen in most pages, the prevailing definition seems to come from the thirties as defined by the Athenian charter (think Le Corbusier) : high rises, functional separation (zoning) and motorways between those zones. This was especially popular in the fifties.
In this respect, most cities presented above fit this model quite well (Dubai, chinese cities, Coruscant..)

However, this version of future is now fairly dated (it's actually called retrofuturism) and the Athenian chart has gravely shown its limits. In the mid nineties, a new charter was born to try and solve key points of the actual future : smart growth, conciliation of man and nature, social equity, mass housing, transportation efficiency and overall sustainability.

Most cities, whether they are judged futuristic or not, will someday face the problems addressed by the new chart.
Interestingly, Athenians cities like Dubai seem to be the worst performers in many key areas and will have for most of them to sustain heavy reconstruction to perform adequately in future.
One of the first city to have faced these limits is the very Athenian-based Los Angeles, CA, which is now slowly adopting this new chart as its "futuristic" development pattern was actually counter-performing and slowly stifling the city.

So, based on what the actual future is likely to be, what city would be the best nominate for the "most futuristic city" ? I would say most European cities (but not limited to Europe), in particular cities in Germany, Switzerland and Scandinavia.
Most of them cope nicely with growth, have an actual smart planning, efficient mass transit, try to minimize human impact on the environment, provide affordable housing and so on..
I like Madrid for its transportation system, I like how Dutch cities provide housing despite a very high population density, I like how German cities house millions of people while preserving an outstanding quality of life.

Future is what we make of it. If we want it to exist in the long term, sustainability is not an option. Thus, so called "futuristic" cities depict in no way a realistic future and will face some harder challenges in the decades to come.

Substructure está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #995
kyleph

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfArabia View Post
you check this out guys

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

[IMG]http://i42.************/20z7dbr.jpg[/IMG]

Riyadh will beat Dubai very soon :p

SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments
RIYADH l King Abdullah Financial District | U/C
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1232321
i don't think so.
kyleph no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 01:08 PM   #996
luci203

Likes (Received): 1202

not in number of buildings or height, but look more futuristic than anything I see in Dubai. (it would be "The World" - but for now... it look like (what's the word they used in the comercial) EPIC... failure.
Old December 13th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #997
CologneOujda

Likes (Received): 3

IMHO Rabat will be a futuristic city. Not in a "IRobot" or "Minority Report" style but more like the city in "Aeon Flux". A city integrated in their natural surroundings with a lot of green areas. An eco friendly city.
Some examples of what is UC in Rabat

But at the moment it's Tokyo.
CologneOujda no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #998
Annibale

Location: Ar-Raqqa []; Ar-Core []; Ar-Megiddo []; Ar-Luno [x]; Ar-Trove []
Likes (Received): 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substructure View Post
What an interesting thread !

First of all what do you define as futuristic ? From what I've seen in most pages, the prevailing definition seems to come from the thirties as defined by the Athenian charter (think Le Corbusier) : high rises, functional separation (zoning) and motorways between those zones. This was especially popular in the fifties.
In this respect, most cities presented above fit this model quite well (Dubai, chinese cities, Coruscant..)

However, this version of future is now fairly dated (it's actually called retrofuturism) and the Athenian chart has gravely shown its limits. In the mid nineties, a new charter was born to try and solve key points of the actual future : smart growth, conciliation of man and nature, social equity, mass housing, transportation efficiency and overall sustainability.

Most cities, whether they are judged futuristic or not, will someday face the problems addressed by the new chart.
Interestingly, Athenians cities like Dubai seem to be the worst performers in many key areas and will have for most of them to sustain heavy reconstruction to perform adequately in future.
One of the first city to have faced these limits is the very Athenian-based Los Angeles, CA, which is now slowly adopting this new chart as its "futuristic" development pattern was actually counter-performing and slowly stifling the city.

So, based on what the actual future is likely to be, what city would be the best nominate for the "most futuristic city" ? I would say most European cities (but not limited to Europe), in particular cities in Germany, Switzerland and Scandinavia.
Most of them cope nicely with growth, have an actual smart planning, efficient mass transit, try to minimize human impact on the environment, provide affordable housing and so on..
I like Madrid for its transportation system, I like how Dutch cities provide housing despite a very high population density, I like how German cities house millions of people while preserving an outstanding quality of life.

Future is what we make of it. If we want it to exist in the long term, sustainability is not an option. Thus, so called "futuristic" cities depict in no way a realistic future and will face some harder challenges in the decades to come.
Good post!
But you're losing your time in this thread, here's about glassy skyscrapers and motorways crossing cities...
Annibale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2010, 09:11 PM   #999
ukiyo

Futuristic means different things to different people. Also using that criteria it favors small cities, many that people on this website would not even consider "cities".

Anyway according to substructure the most futuristic city in the world is Yokohama. It is the only city in the world that is making itself over right now as a "smart city".

You can read about what they are doing here:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DTL&type=green

It is a 5 year program which started this year.
Old January 8th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1000
manon

Likes (Received): 5267

this is most most epic and awesome thread please keep posting, i will if i find any futuristic city image,i want to live longer to see the world in 2050 and very curious about the future.

███████▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌♥♥♥ GO TURKIYE ♥♥♥▌▌▌▌▌▌▌███████▌

Facebook.com/SummerInTurkey
manon no está en línea   Reply With Quote