daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 4th, 2011, 03:40 PM   #1021
RaySthlm
BANNED

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribarca View Post
The Skytrain makes it look quite bladerunner. Especially on a day with smog. Smog is the future especially in Asian cities.
Yeah, agree, Bangkoks skytrain looks futuristic , like a bladerunner city, exactly what I said in my previous post .

Last edited by RaySthlm; March 4th, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
RaySthlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #1022
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55351

listen guys, discussions are welcomed and thats what this section here for, but please keep it civil and no flame wars and names calling are allowed. You are all good contributors on SSC, so please don't put me in a situation that I need to send some of you to the brigs to cool off for a few days. Thanks for your cooperation!
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:47 PM   #1023
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10396

I've been to Bangkok and IMO it's not futuristic at all...the airport was pretty nice and modern though. The skytrain doesn't look futuristic to me..because basically every city in my country has several of them Just my opinion..

From the cities I have been to the most futuristic are:

1. Tokyo (especially: Ginza, Shibuya, Shinjuku, Harajuku, Akihabara).
2. Osaka (especially: Namba).
3. Hong Kong
4. Nagoya
5. Singapore
6. Shanghai (still not as developed as the above cities but the new buildings give a futuristic feel)
7. Seoul
8. Vancouver (as far as north american planning goes).
9. New York City
10. Seattle

BTW my criteria is just based off of advanced infrastructure, living standards (an advanced city should be well off, otherwise that's no city of the future!), cleanliness (air, trash etc). If I make my list based off of how they appear only (skylines) then it would probably be like this:

1. Dubai
2. Shanghai
3. Hong Kong
4. New York City (even though many buildings are old it still looks futuristic at night)
5. Tokyo (not as impressive height wise, but all the plasma screens and lights makes it look futuristic).

Last edited by ukiyo; March 4th, 2011 at 09:52 PM.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #1024
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

+1

As far as i know Japanese cities are very developed, well organized and clean as well. Car parking ticket machines, coffee machines, road systems, food courts, buildings, public transport, (bullet) high-speed trains, i could go on like this all day, their technology is just on the top and superior.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #1025
ukiyo

SO143, have you ever been to Japan or do you just base it off of pictures? I am just curious, you seem to have a high opinion of japanese cities so I am wondering why that is
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #1026
SO143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
SO143, have you ever been to Japan or do you just base it off of pictures? I am just curious, you seem to have a high opinion of japanese cities so I am wondering why that is
I have never been to Japan dude, but my uncle, cousins sis, bros, blads, and other relatives have been living in Japan for two decades. So, i am very familiar with Japanese cities, their systems, culture and other stuffs by hearing, seeing though tons of vids, pics and chats from my boys. I will be visiting there next year. I would love to visit EU first and next step is to JP and AU. And, most students in my class think Japan is very good at inventing robots, play stations, games, and other digital electronic stuffs. So yeah basically its kind of conception, attitude and opinion that i consider Tokyo, and other JP cities well developed and modern.

Last edited by SO143; March 4th, 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #1027
ukiyo

Thank you for your reply . Are you japanese ethnically or part japanese? Or your family just works there?

P.S. I'm not a dude!
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #1028
RaySthlm
BANNED

Hi NihonKitty, I like Japanese girls .

Here is a pic of Bangkoks futuristic airport, just for you dear.
image hosted on flickr
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:07 PM   #1029
ukiyo

Yep I really liked Bangkok's airport. I like it more than Narita. In fact it was my favorite airport in all of Asia until fall 2010 when the international terminal opened in Haneda (it has old japanese architecture and shops etc). BTW I noticed Japan has been financing many infrastructure projects in Thailand (especially Bangkok). I guess in the future it will be like Tokyo.

Old March 4th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #1030
RaySthlm
BANNED

Yup, many japanese people live there and Japan is Thailands biggest investor (by country) or maybe 2nd now, I think China is number 1 now.

I hope it will be like Tokyo one day , that would be awesome.
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #1031
ukiyo

Here is a good video showing Tokyo (in the first half). Actually this video is my favorite video on the entire inernet! You can see the street level and also buildings. Please watch it fullscreen you can see if Tokyo is futuristic or not
2:50 shows the city (skyline) beggining shows street level. 3:23 looks very futuristic.

I live in the US during college for past years and when I watch that video it makes me teary (homesick).

I'm sad now

Last edited by ukiyo; March 4th, 2011 at 10:36 PM.
Old March 4th, 2011, 10:35 PM   #1032
SO143
BANNED

1:50 My favourite part

Thanks for sharing this fantastic video, absolutely fascinating
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #1033
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
Originally Posted by luci203 View Post
I doubt they turn the light on just to look good.

I belive people are working. (either "burning the midnight oil" or maintenance and cleaning)
No..its their insurance contracts so office are forced to turn on all lights or there will be no compensation for stolen items i think.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #1034
CoCoMilk

Likes (Received): 1131

New York city, cleanliness, and advanced infrastructure don't go together in one sentence
CoCoMilk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:24 AM   #1035
ukiyo

That's why it's far down on my list. My list is only cities I have been to. There are other cities that are cleaner and have better infrastructure that I have been to but they're too small for me to put (IMO). I would put Seattle above NY but at least NY has an extensive subway.. Shanghai was not very clean either and was poorer, but just the amount going on there gave me a futuristic feel, and NYC did the same for me (at night). Anyway that's just my opinion, it doesn't mean anything.
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:54 AM   #1036
hawkwood

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
(...)
I live in the US during college for past years and when I watch that video it makes me teary (homesick).

I'm sad now
Watching this video makes me feel homesick as well, and I'm not even Japanese. I simply fell in love with the country the first time I visited it.

View from the Tokyo Tower observation deck at night is as futuristic as it gets IMO.
hawkwood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:45 AM   #1037
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

Quote:
That's why it's far down on my list. My list is only cities I have been to. There are other cities that are cleaner and have better infrastructure that I have been to but they're too small for me to put (IMO). I would put Seattle above NY but at least NY has an extensive subway.. Shanghai was not very clean either and was poorer, but just the amount going on there gave me a futuristic feel, and NYC did the same for me (at night). Anyway that's just my opinion, it doesn't mean anything.
NY Times Square is probably the most futuristic place on Earth i feel.
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 04:49 AM   #1038
ukiyo

Times Square is pretty small compared to the (many) "time squares" in Tokyo.. It's more comparable to Namba in Osaka but even then it's still smaller. But yes it does have that "feel" to it which is another reason I have it on my list
Old March 5th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #1039
SO143
BANNED

Tokyo is way too big, i don't even see it like a city its population is nearly Canada and a lot bigger than the whole Australia, New Zealand and Oceania altogether combined. And you have fastest internet connection speed in the world, and you have most equal society in the world, your bullet trains are super fast like air plane, advanced robots, quality digital products, video games and other electronic stuffs are from there, what a place
Old March 5th, 2011, 06:27 AM   #1040
CoCoMilk

Likes (Received): 1131

I've never been to Shanghai nor the city is of any concerns to me as I don't live there. Having none existing experience of the place, with the only exception of seeing photos of the city in this forum, I can't make any judgment on Shanghai but I wouldn't really place Shanghai on the list either.

NYC matters to me the most since this is where i grew up, and sadly I'm seeing the deterioration of the place. :S
CoCoMilk no está en línea   Reply With Quote