daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2011, 06:11 AM   #1101
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

If that's the future send me back to the past.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:25 AM   #1102
guy4versa4
BANNED

Likes (Received): 52

and dubai is the place where futuristic building meets.

Last edited by guy4versa4; September 16th, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
guy4versa4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #1103
Divineator
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

Future plan of Shanghai? I'm surprised that the skyline itself actually already looks like this.. well, almost.
Divineator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 06:27 PM   #1104
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

@guy4 most of them are kitschy towers.. and the picture looks pretty abandoned.. I dont get a futuristic feelinjg to this

Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 08:54 PM   #1105
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

that video of Shanghai 2030 is beautiful!

Some awesome "futuristic feel" pictures ;D

Shanghai

Tokyo

Tokyo International Forum

Last edited by Mike____; September 16th, 2011 at 09:10 PM.
Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #1106
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 230

Tokyo is much more futuristic.
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:14 PM   #1107
Divineator
BANNED

Errm, are you serious?
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #1108
Steel City Suburb

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divineator View Post
Errm, are you serious?
I meant over Dubai, not Shanghai.
Old September 18th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #1109
hamasaki

Likes (Received): 414

Tokyo
hamasaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #1110
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10396

I don't get anyones arguments here. Dubai is not futuristic because..why? It's not dense? Shanghai is futuristic because why....? Its skyline? Than why would Dubai not be futuristic?

Is it because of skyline only? Than Dubai is probably the most "futuristic" city in the world, all of its designs are international and hyper modern, whether they are ugly or not is irrelevant (that is a matter of opinion the fact is Dubai has buildings like the Burj Khalifa).

Is it because of street level (infrastructure/technology, wealth etc)? Than in that case I am sure Dubai is also more futuristic than Shanghai. While I have not been to Dubai I have been to Shanghai two times, and the most recent time was in March of this year. Outside of the business district Shanghai is still poor and rundown with many of the basic infrastructures still not at a "hyper-modern" level (relatively speaking to the cities I will list below), while my understanding of Dubai is that it is very rich with modern infrastructure and buildings (in the entire city not just the downtown). A "futuristic" city should be a modern/rich city..unless your view of the future is a city that is still not hyper-modern.

If by street level the most futuristic cities in the world should be the hyper modern metropolises like Tokyo, Seoul, Osaka, Hong Kong etc.

If it's by skyline than it should be the cities like Dubai, Hong Kong and Shanghai.

If it is a mixture of the street level and skyline than it seems like only Hong Kong, Tokyo, Osaka and Seoul will match those criteria with Hong Kong leading in skyline and Tokyo at street level. Maybe Dubai would be there too but I have never been there. All the other cities I have listed I have been to several times.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by ukiyo; September 19th, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #1111
kix111

Likes (Received): 2929

lol you guys better not talk shit about japan on this forum or nihonkitty will come and slap you in the face
kix111 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:08 PM   #1112
ukiyo
スーパーモデレーターSuper Moderator

Likes (Received): 10396

Maybe if you said "lol you guys better not talk shit about Dubai on this forum or nihonkitty will come and slap you in the face". No one here talked "shit" about Japan and my post is about people dismissing Dubai and presenting Shanghai without strong reasons. So I don't get your post
ukiyo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2011, 07:21 PM   #1113
Yellow Fever
City Of Rain

Likes (Received): 55351

Stop the nonsense and back on topic, kix!

Last edited by Yellow Fever; September 19th, 2011 at 09:15 PM.
Yellow Fever no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #1114
Divineator
BANNED

NihonKitty, to determine the most futuristic city in the world one have to determine which period of time you're looking at.

First of all, I never said Dubai isn't futuristic. As of 2011, it can be widely regarded as the ultimate city of future. It's an small oasis of multiple supertalls with hypermodern infrastructure in the middle of a desert, it has the world's only fully automated metro network, it has artificial islands made for luxury real estate - the list goes on. Beyond this shiny centre we have the dusty suburbs with poor people and workers. It's like a sci-fi movie prjected off the apocalypse theme - you know the story, a big bubble city (last city on Earth) with the last rich people living inside, fed by the outsiders trying to survive in the polluted exteriors.

When it comes to Tokyo and some other Japanese cities, they sure were the most futuristic cities in the 80's and 90's. But as time goes by, they have recently been surpassed by Chinese cities like Shanghai. It's just a true fact that Tokyo isn't cyberpunk anymore, take it or leave it.

You are right, Shanghai is still poor outside it's centre. But the centre of Shanghai is also bigger than the whole Tokyo region. I think you're also vastly underestimating the street level (infrastructure/technology/wealth) of Shanghai. In the latest 10 years it has catched up with Tokyo and now has everything that Tokyo has, multipied by two, plus new stuff. In Shanghai the light-up elevated roads go even higher and more insane, the bridges stretch further, the roads are wider, the clubs are bigger, the trains go faster (Maglev) - and the international standard has surpassed Tokyo by miles. While Tokyo is still too Japanese, and Hong Kong too British, Shanghai is at a perfect mix of Chinese and Western style. In a global world it's a city of the future.

BTW: Seoul, Hong Kong, Taipei and Singapore have always been shrouded by their Japanese and Chinese superiors. I dont think any of them is futuristic today.
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM   #1115
Sid Vicious
BANNED

Likes (Received): 269

what? the centre of SH bigger than whole tokio region ?? sounds insane
Sid Vicious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 02:05 PM   #1116
Linguine
leisure cook

Likes (Received): 3939

btw, thanks for all the nice pics....more please.
Old September 20th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #1117
VCollaborator

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
NihonKitty, to determine the most futuristic city in the world one have to determine which period of time you're looking at.

First of all, I never said Dubai isn't futuristic. As of 2011, it can be widely regarded as the ultimate city of future. It's an small oasis of multiple supertalls with hypermodern infrastructure in the middle of a desert, it has the world's only fully automated metro network, it has artificial islands made for luxury real estate - the list goes on. Beyond this shiny centre we have the dusty suburbs with poor people and workers. It's like a sci-fi movie prjected off the apocalypse theme - you know the story, a big bubble city (last city on Earth) with the last rich people living inside, fed by the outsiders trying to survive in the polluted exteriors.

When it comes to Tokyo and some other Japanese cities, they sure were the most futuristic cities in the 80's and 90's. But as time goes by, they have recently been surpassed by Chinese cities like Shanghai. It's just a true fact that Tokyo isn't cyberpunk anymore, take it or leave it.

You are right, Shanghai is still poor outside it's centre. But the centre of Shanghai is also bigger than the whole Tokyo region. I think you're also vastly underestimating the street level (infrastructure/technology/wealth) of Shanghai. In the latest 10 years it has catched up with Tokyo and now has everything that Tokyo has, multipied by two, plus new stuff. In Shanghai the light-up elevated roads go even higher and more insane, the bridges stretch further, the roads are wider, the clubs are bigger, the trains go faster (Maglev) - and the international standard has surpassed Tokyo by miles. While Tokyo is still too Japanese, and Hong Kong too British, Shanghai is at a perfect mix of Chinese and Western style. In a global world it's a city of the future.

BTW: Seoul, Hong Kong, Taipei and Singapore have always been shrouded by their Japanese and Chinese superiors. I dont think any of them is futuristic today.
It is not in the middle of the desert as the Burj al Arab and the Palm Jumeirah might remind you.

If I may ask what does Shanghai have behind its CBD? - poor people and workers? No, it is the similar to Dubai. Suburbs where middle class and poor people live, not only poor. In the case of Dubai, those suburbs also have some very nice villas (probably some of the most luxurious in the world) and very nice master planned communities. These suburbs also have factories, parks, shopping malls etc....

As for being a place where cultures meet, Dubai is also a place like that and have probably been built up upon that principle.

Most of Dubai's infrastructure have been developed over the past 11 years so that is pretty amazing, but I do think that there is some room for improvement as in any other city. Nevertheless, the RTA and other authorities have done a great job over the past 7 years and Dubai now has an excellent transportation system.

Despite the fact that slavery does exist in Dubai, as in Shanghai and many other places on earth, people from countries that is badly run still consider Dubai as a safe haven. They can make a living there and live amongst peace between cultures from all over the world and they can enjoy a relatively nice standard of living. They can have many of the things that they have in their home country since it is a place of trade. For example, some of the food from their home countries that is familiar to them is available in Dubai at a relatively cheap price. They can therefore have a life similar to the life that they have lived in their home country.

People who live in Dubai experience some of the highest human development on earth and they can feel as if they are making a change in society. Those expats who dislike the city, which is made up of more than 80% expats, can leave. Despite the fact that some do leave, the city's population is still growing along with its economy, and it is seen as an example of what should be achieved by the entire world by many people.

I think you are going to need a better argument to prove that Shanghai, which is an amazing city just like Dubai, is a better contender.
VCollaborator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #1118
Divineator
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
what? the centre of SH bigger than whole tokio region ?? sounds insane
Both Tokyo and Shanghai are special regions in their specific countries. The Tokyo prefecture covers an area of roughly 2,187 km2, whereas the Shanghai municipality covers an area of 6,340 km2. This makes Shanghai the largest city proper in the world,. Now, some people like to include cities like Yokohoma to what the Japan Statistics Bureau like to refer to as "The Greater Tokyo Area", which I think is insane. If Shanghai included cities like Suzhou to a "Greater Shanghai Area", Tokyo would look tiny. But they don't include Suzhou, which I think is a proper way of thinking. Yokohoma shouldnt be considered part of Tokyo either, it's just stupid.
Old September 20th, 2011, 04:14 PM   #1119
Divineator
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCollaborator View Post
It is not in the middle of the desert as the Burj al Arab and the Palm Jumeirah might remind you.

If I may ask what does Shanghai have behind its CBD? - poor people and workers? No, it is the similar to Dubai. Suburbs where middle class and poor people live, not only poor. In the case of Dubai, those suburbs also have some very nice villas (probably some of the most luxurious in the world) and very nice master planned communities. These suburbs also have factories, parks, shopping malls etc....

As for being a place where cultures meet, Dubai is also a place like that and have probably been built up upon that principle.

Most of Dubai's infrastructure have been developed over the past 11 years so that is pretty amazing, but I do think that there is some room for improvement as in any other city. Nevertheless, the RTA and other authorities have done a great job over the past 7 years and Dubai now has an excellent transportation system.

Despite the fact that slavery does exist in Dubai, as in Shanghai and many other places on earth, people from countries that is badly run still consider Dubai as a safe haven. They can make a living there and live amongst peace between cultures from all over the world and they can enjoy a relatively nice standard of living. They can have many of the things that they have in their home country since it is a place of trade. For example, some of the food from their home countries that is familiar to them is available in Dubai at a relatively cheap price. They can therefore have a life similar to the life that they have lived in their home country.

People who live in Dubai experience some of the highest human development on earth and they can feel as if they are making a change in society. Those expats who dislike the city, which is made up of more than 80% expats, can leave. Despite the fact that some do leave, the city's population is still growing along with its economy, and it is seen as an example of what should be achieved by the entire world by many people.

I think you are going to need a better argument to prove that Shanghai, which is an amazing city just like Dubai, is a better contender.
Gosh, you really know nothing.

Dubai treats its migrant workers in an extremely cruel way the Shanghainese government would never do (such as taking their passports).

I mentioned the Palm Jumeirah (artifical islands) in my post, but maybe you should read my post 10 more times. Dubai is, nevertheless, located in a desert, and you'd be unwise to disagree with this fact.

It is pretty obvious that you've never been in Shanghai. I can take the Shanghai Metro (the longest metro network in the world) on any line and travel 10 stops from the city center, and still I'd find huge shopping malls with international brands, parks and factories - what you'd call nice master planning. And they're not even suburbs, these places are all part of the Shanghai city centre. Shanghai is increasing its human development index in a pace Dubai could only dream of doing, especially since after the financial crisis.

There are luxury villas everywhere in Shanghai, FYI.
Old September 20th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #1120
VCollaborator

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Gosh, you really know nothing.
No need for personal insults. This is a discussion.

Quote:
Dubai treats its migrant workers in an extremely cruel way the Shanghainese government would never do (such as taking their passports).
It is not the Dubai Government. It is people in Dubai. It is the same in Shanghai. It is not the government of Shanghai. Dubai's government have been implementing laws to prevent such things though. Just like in China.

Quote:
I mentioned the Palm Jumeirah (artifical islands) in my post, but maybe you should read my post 10 more times. Dubai is, nevertheless, located in a desert, and you'd be unwise to disagree with this fact.
You said in the middle of the desert. I just helped you out a bit. It also has a creek and is a migratory hub for birds.

Quote:
It is pretty obvious that you've never been in Shanghai. I can take the Shanghai Metro (the longest metro network in the world) on any line and travel 10 stops from the city center, and still I'd find huge shopping malls with international brands, parks and factories - what you'd call nice master planning. And they're not even suburbs, these places are all part of the Shanghai city centre. Shanghai is increasing its human development index in a pace Dubai could only dream of doing, especially since after the financial crisis.
Yes, I have never been in Shanghai, but I do have knowledge about the city (It is one of my favourite cites, like many in China).

Dubai's Shopping is said to be some of the best in the world. That is why people from China including Shanghai travel there to do shopping.

Dubai is also spread out in city - clusters similar to Shanghai and I am sure that Dubai is very well planned since most of it was built in the past 11 years. I never said that Shanghai didn't have master planning though. Neither did I say that it did not have anything that you have mentioned.

Dubai or the UAE have been increasing its human development since its formation at a very high rate. Just like China. Dubai still has a high human development rate though despite the Financial Crisis.

Quote:
There are luxury villas everywhere in Shanghai, FYI.
Did I say that there are not?
VCollaborator no está en línea   Reply With Quote