daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 24th, 2006, 04:40 PM   #101
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2572

I have never been to Dubai but I have friends who are working there right now. Some of them have been to HK and they always say how HK is more advanced and stuff.

Again, yes Dubai has some really nice projects but do they have some nice infrastructure?

Is Dubai as vibrant as this?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2006, 04:54 PM   #102
Insignia

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
I have never been to Dubai but I have friends who are working there right now. Some of them have been to HK and they always say how HK is more advanced and stuff.

Again, yes Dubai has some really nice projects but do they have some nice infrastructure?

Is Dubai as vibrant as this?

Hong Kong is no easy Cake. However I think Dubai can match up to It.

I will post Dubai pics… Later.

Quote:
No. Hong Kong have every type of Modern Transport system in the World.
Insignia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #103
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17799

Vibrancy doens't have much to do with futurism. Many poor cities are very vibrant, with lots of people moving about in markets, along streets, and in cars.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:40 PM   #104
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Vibrancy doens't have much to do with futurism. Many poor cities are very vibrant, with lots of people moving about in markets, along streets, and in cars.
True but HK's vibrancy is different in a way that it has a futuristic feel to it.

Old February 28th, 2006, 12:32 AM   #105
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

It's gotta be HK.
Jules no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #106
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP1
It's gotta be HK.
Before I always say that HK is the most futuristic but I'll be going with Tokyo this time! HK can come in 2nd tie with Seoul

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:07 AM   #107
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17799

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
True but HK's vibrancy is different in a way that it has a futuristic feel to it.
In what way? Smart cards, cell phones, PSPs, and Ipods are becoming common in many of the world's cities.

A futuristic city has everything to do with how people live, rather than how many are on the streets. There are very futuristic places that are free from crowds, such as the cell-phone-ridden Scandinavian / Nordic countries.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2006, 07:16 PM   #108
Insignia

Vibrancy would have to go to London... by far the most vibrant City in the World!

Old February 28th, 2006, 07:19 PM   #109
Insignia

@WANCH

No Dubai pics. Hong Kong is the winner.. for now.
Old February 28th, 2006, 09:28 PM   #110
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

Vibrant Dubai

[IMG]http://i2.************/orseau.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.************/orsbw7.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.************/orscg0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i2.************/orsci1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/jshgg0.jpg[/IMG]

thanks to UAE forumers

it sounds a bit weird, but it is true, because there is just so much going on , you have a dazzling and vibrant feeling the moment you step out of the plane.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 05:27 AM   #111
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
In what way? Smart cards, cell phones, PSPs, and Ipods are becoming common in many of the world's cities.

A futuristic city has everything to do with how people live, rather than how many are on the streets. There are very futuristic places that are free from crowds, such as the cell-phone-ridden Scandinavian / Nordic countries.
True

Ok this sound crazy but that's how I look at at. HK's got the smart cards, a high percentage of cell phone users. Almost anyone can afford a PSP or an I-POD, plus you got the futuristic skyline with it's lighting effects and the Symphony Of Lights. I mean I don't see that kind of effect in other cities.

I always have that futuristic feel when I see those moving letter effects at The New World Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui. When I was in Manila or LA, I've never see something like that in either cities. Also, HK live very professionally, almost every news I see is on economy and developments and the city also features world news. We have an ultra modern infrastructure, technology, public transportation and of course, the airport.

Ok, I believe that HK may not be the most modern city but I find it more modern compared to other world cities.

Old March 7th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #112
UD2
A very cool person

Likes (Received): 31

I vote for SHENZHEN

Guys remember that we're not discussing the largest cities here? so let's leave the famous ones outta here... because those cities are all OLD...

now... if ya want a futuristic city, you need one that's new...

ShenZhen China... the city was only PLANNED in 1986, they started building I believe in 1989... now it is a financial center that rivals Shanghai and HongKong...

for those of you who doesn't know where it is, it's right across from HongKong. It is also supposed to be China's anwser to HK.

I don't think there should be any competition in this thread... doesn't matter how rich or large Tokyo or HongKong is, it CANNOT be more modern and futuristic overall than a city that's less than 20 years old

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed" - President Eisenhower
UD2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #113
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2
ShenZhen China... the city was only PLANNED in 1986, they started building I believe in 1989... now it is a financial center that rivals Shanghai and HongKong...
Shenzhen as a major financial centre rivalling Shanghai and Hong Kong, I don't think so!

It still has alot to catch up before it reaches the level of HK!

Old March 12th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #114
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 200

I think that Tokyo and HK are the most futuristic cities
Castle_Bravo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #115
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle_Bravo
I think that Tokyo and HK are the most futuristic cities
It's debatable. But I find HK more organized compared to Tokyo

Old March 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #116
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD2
I don't think there should be any competition in this thread... doesn't matter how rich or large Tokyo or HongKong is, it CANNOT be more modern and futuristic overall than a city that's less than 20 years old
Bullshit, futuristic doesn't necessarily mean new. Futuristic means representative of what cities will be like in the future. Are you saying that in the future all old cities will be torn down and replaced with new ones? Is a city that's full of ancient buildings but fully covered by a wireless broadband internet network considered less futuristic than a city built yesterday that's not yet connected to the internet?!? I'm not saying that you're choice of city is wrong but I am saying that the criteria by which you judge it to be more 'futuristic' is too narrow.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2006, 04:45 AM   #117
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

True, it don't matter if the city if young or not. And Shenzhen developed pretty well because of HK. In fact alot of the city's investments are mostly from HK!

Old March 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM   #118
DrasQue
Lightbringer

Likes (Received): 2

for now yes hk but after 2010 always dubai
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #119
dom

Likes (Received): 9

Tokyo and Hong Kong are the most futuristic cities that I've been too. You have to look at the pacemakers of the Western world as well - New York, Los Angeles, London and Paris.

Dubai is only modern because there is an influx of cash. Yes there are some new and very impressive projects in this Emirate but, politically Dubai is in the stone age compared to the West, even if it IS progressive compared to the rest of the Middle East. For starters it is overwhelmingly car based and not really a pedestrian city. Which is regressive. The most modern cities (Hong Kong and Tokyo) employ public transportation as the main means of getting around, creating a more friendly urban experience. Just because a few tall buildings are going up doesn't mean a place is hyper modern.

Dubai should be congratulated for forging forward, but when I think of the future I automatically think of Tokyo. There is nowhere on earth in my opinion that feels as on the pace as Shibuya and Shinjuku.
dom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:45 AM   #120
Jo
Iron horse rider dlx

Likes (Received): 13

I think things like futuristic buildings, shopping centres, jobs and infrastructure is more important for a futuristic city than if people are buying the latest cell phones, cars and ipods. Three years from now people in more backwards cities will have more modern gadgets than anyone have now but still be stuck in an 'old' environment.

I vote for Tokyo btw.