daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 8th, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1261
benchaney
Anomaly XB-6783746

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by citypia View Post

I was responding to this statement above. The more skyscrapers, less futuristic.

If we follow straightly this logic, the primitive times and undeveloped times become futuristic too, which is not futuristic at all.

Also, some countries that have small and limited land, such as Singapore, become not futuristic if we follow this logic.

My point is that the concept of futuristic has to focus how sustainble the city is, not how many skyscrapers the city have.
Because the population of the earth will grow dramatically in the future, so some countries won't be able to build under 8 stories buildings in their given situations(which means not sustainable)
I agree with this but standard concepts of the future focus on large and tall skylines and by living in increased density there is much less transportation energy required. However a measure of either building height, innovative technology and transport, green spaces, urban farming and renewable energy could be used to indicate 'futuristic'. But the most futuristic is indeed a zero carbon city such as Masdar City in Abu Dhabi.
benchaney no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1262
RokasLT

Likes (Received): 1095

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchaney View Post
I agree with this but standard concepts of the future focus on large and tall skylines and by living in increased density there is much less transportation energy required. However a measure of either building height, innovative technology and transport, green spaces, urban farming and renewable energy could be used to indicate 'futuristic'. But the most futuristic is indeed a zero carbon city such as Masdar City in Abu Dhabi.
And what about cities that will have more then 1-2 mil. people population? Especially in less developed countries.
RokasLT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:33 AM   #1263
inno4321

Likes (Received): 12418

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerVerre:) View Post
Seoul is pretty futuristic. For example the virtual supermarkets in some subway stations. You go to work with the subway and scan the things you want. Then if you arrive home in the evening your food is already there. No smuggling anymore !!

Source of the pictures: http://www.artschoolvets.com/news/20...em-smartphone/ This is also a nice and interesting article but sadly in German.
Right Actually i used to TESCO "HOMEPLUS" service. A delivery charge is 0.8 EURO=1000WON plus if i paid 0.8 euro they bring any product to my house.
Dirively time is from 11 AM to 8 PM. So i used to order Heavy product(such like a big water/shampoo/cocacola/watermelon)

Also 1 Gbps internet service in SEOUL. Also 3G/4G service without cut off in underground subway and around city. And With smartphone I'm checking BUS's arrived time in house before go to bus station/subway station.
And ordinary people banking with samrtphone in seoul. seoul didn't sleep for 24 hours.

"Theory of Quantum Mechanics, theory of Inflation, M-theory imply Multiverses. Probably We're a part of Infinity&Nothing" inno4321

TowerVerre:) liked this post

Last edited by inno4321; July 9th, 2013 at 01:43 AM.
inno4321 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1264
RokasLT

HK?! From distance it looks futuristic, but not so, when you in the city: apartment buildings looks shabby, streets not so clean and needs more investment in to the public transport, better organisation.

Cities that are futuristic from the inside:
1. Tokyo
2. Singapure
3. Seoul
4. Dubai
bonus. Abu Dhabi (in the future)

Cities that are futuristic from the outside:
1. Shanghai
2. Hong Kong
3. Guangzau
4. Shenzhen (urban area and height growing with the staggering speed)
5. Dubai

inno4321 liked this post
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:32 PM   #1265
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Likes (Received): 1038

How is Dubai "futuristic" from the inside ? lol
yea.. it's very futuristic!

Hong Kong is by far more "futuristic" on that one.

Quicksilver liked this post

Last edited by Mike____; July 9th, 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Mike____ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #1266
RokasLT

WOW u take best part in Dubai. LOL
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #1267
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Dubai is more then skyscrapers in a desert.

Old July 9th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #1268
RokasLT

YES, also green spaces in the desert, artificial peninsulas, islands, magnetic trains ect.
Old July 10th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #1269
Frozt
Architect aspirant

Likes (Received): 94

Not futuristic if you take the old part...
image hosted on flickr

Haters gonna hate
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM   #1270
gehenaus

Likes (Received): 191

Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong spring to mind.
These cities are what a typical futuristic city would look like. On that basis I would give it to Tokyo as I have always associated the Japanese with robots and bright neon lights.
But who are we to know what the future city might look like?
We might live underground for all we know.

rychlik liked this post
gehenaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1271
Nikonov_Ivan

Likes (Received): 704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike____ View Post
How is Dubai "futuristic" from the inside ? lol
yea.. it's very futuristic!

Hong Kong is by far more "futuristic" on that one.
Excuse me?

reecebowker liked this post
Nikonov_Ivan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #1272
Mike____
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

lol

Wunderknabe liked this post
Old July 11th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #1273
SO143
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3624

hong kong skyline is amazing, but i don't think the city is futuristic though.
SO143 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:42 AM   #1274
ali al-smadi

Likes (Received): 3

Come on guys the UAE is amazingly and futuristic. Look at Dubai's burn Al Arab with the world's biggest fabric wall. Abu Dhabi is also futuristic, the leaning tower, Ettihad tower, or future projects such as: Masdar city, or huge ones like Abu Dhabi 2030, which will include the world's tallest building. Oh, don't forget the world's most expensive car with hologram interior, and diamonds on the head lights, and performance that beats most supercars making Bugatti the only serious competitor, and boy does it look good.
ali al-smadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #1275
Nikonov_Ivan

Did I miss something? World's tallest tower in Abu Dhabi?

Well, it is rather funny, how Abu Dhabi tries to compete with Dubai. Yes, even if AD has much more money, I really doubt if it can ever surpass Dubai. Even if 1000 supertalls gets built in AD, it will not be mor amazing than Dubai. Dubai is global city...
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1276
ali al-smadi

When talking about money, Abu Dhabi beats Dubai, plus Abu Dhabi is very consistent. Dubai gets a boom, then they fall behind, then another boom. Abu Dhabi is kind of building secretly. They get very close to a record but don't beat or even reach it, This way they can make sudden appearances and become backup for the whole country in case Dubai's reputation decreases for some reason.
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #1277
noir-dresses
bling bling

Likes (Received): 2253

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali al-smadi View Post
When talking about money, Abu Dhabi beats Dubai, plus Abu Dhabi is very consistent. Dubai gets a boom, then they fall behind, then another boom. Abu Dhabi is kind of building secretly. They get very close to a record but don't beat or even reach it, This way they can make sudden appearances and become backup for the whole country in case Dubai's reputation decreases for some reason.
Both Abu Dhabi and Dubai have a lot more to offer. Don't forget this is just the beginning. The ruler of Dubai has stated that they are only at about 10 percent of they're vision so far. Dubai is aiming for the ten million plus population city.

Dubai and Abu Dhabi are not competing with each, look at it as a whole. They work together for the better of the whole UAE, its one united country.
noir-dresses está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1278
ali al-smadi

Yes, that's why Dubai builds he supertalls and Abu Dhabi builds the innovative stuff. A team with each team member being an expert at they're own thing, when combined it makes a team that's an expert at everything. BTW I think Dubai' small (when compared to the world) population is a huge disadvantage.

Old July 11th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1279
saiho

Likes (Received): 1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by RokasLT View Post

Cities that are futuristic from the inside:
1. Tokyo
2. Singapure
3. Seoul
4. Dubai
bonus. Abu Dhabi (in the future)
Dubai is certainly not futuristic on the inside. Compare walking in Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai or Hong Kong which is like a crazy neon disco trip with lots of life and tall buildings. To Dubai which is just tall buildings... whoop de doooo. That would give it points for being futuristic on the outside but it still pales in comparison to HK or Shenzhen.

Quote:
needs more investment in to the public transport
Are you kidding me HK is recognized to be one of the best public transit systems in the world. There is no other major city in the world that has a +90% modal share in public transit. The MTR is heavy used (top ten in ridership), efficient (80,000 ppl/hour/direction capacity highest in the world), punctual (99% timeliness rate), makes money (one of the only 5 metro systems that achives an operational profit with a 135% cost recovery ratio) and clean. Things the Dubai can only wish and dream of with is cute 6% modal share. What is this? Texas? HK doesn't need investment in its public transport system; It's a public transport system that invests in it self, which is a more sustainable model for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post
Excuse me?
No excuse me. Can you pick an older picture, please?
How about I post a photo of the Al Fahid Fort 30 years ago?

Quote:
HK?! From distance it looks futuristic, but not so, when you in the city: apartment buildings looks shabby, streets not so clean and needs more investment in to the public transport, better organisation.
If you watched blade runner you would know that the future can be very scrappy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikonov_Ivan View Post

That's futuristic, Its called Cyberpunk. Just compare those to scenes in Ghost in the Shell, Psychopass, Blame!, and Burst Angel. You know sci fi flicks about the future?

Mike____, CP11, croomm liked this post

Last edited by saiho; July 11th, 2013 at 05:43 PM.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #1280
Nikonov_Ivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
Dubai is certainly not futuristic on the inside. Compare walking in Seoul, Tokyo, Shanghai or Hong Kong which is like a crazy neon disco trip with lots of life and tall buildings. To Dubai which is just tall buildings... whoop de doooo. That would give it points for being futuristic on the outside but it still pales in comparison to HK or Shenzhen.
Try to walk down SZR( financial district) and you will understand what calls really futuristic.

P.s. so much anger in your post... I mean, every person has he's own point of view, and everyone can have a right o love Hong kong/ Dubai or not. It is just a matter of taste.