daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 24th, 2006, 10:44 AM   #141
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

I voted Tokyo because that's the most obvious one but I wouldnt be suprised if the most futuristic city on earth was actually a small city few people have ever heard of that has managed to integrate the most modern technologies seemlessly into itself and it's citizens way of life.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #142
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
I voted Tokyo because that's the most obvious one but I wouldnt be suprised if the most futuristic city on earth was actually a small city few people have ever heard of that has managed to integrate the most modern technologies seemlessly into itself and it's citizens way of life.
Like which one? San Jose

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:12 AM   #143
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 757

The Villege!!!
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #144
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic
The Villege!!!
I meant Silicon Valley

Old March 24th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #145
jai_gandhi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Because it's my city and we do deserve to be on the most futuristic list. And we have one of the best skylines in the world as well. And I have the right to express myself here and talk about HK.

And if you don't like it just keep it to yourself man. I've been here longer than you!
If you have the world's best skyline doesnt mean that your city will be futuristic.

I know you have the right to express yourself but so do I, So when I didnt put HK on my list WTF did you have to quote me and tell me to include HK as well in my list. so you dont have to quote me and tell me to include HK. I have the rights as well not just you.

And I simply dont give a F*c* if you have been here longer then me.

Got it, you better.
jai_gandhi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:18 PM   #146
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai_gandhi
If you have the world's best skyline doesnt mean that your city will be futuristic.

I know you have the right to express yourself but so do I, So when I didnt put HK on my list WTF did you have to quote me and tell me to include HK as well in my list. so you dont have to quote me and tell me to include HK. I have the rights as well not just you.

And I simply dont give a F*c* if you have been here longer then me.

Got it, you better.
It's all good man

Old March 24th, 2006, 05:05 PM   #147
steve_skyline

Likes (Received): 403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia
I Agree with most parts. But I think Dubai is more modern than Hong Kong..
Dubai is no way more modern than HK. HK financial centre is definitely more modern than Dubai. Even Shanghai Pudong is more futuristic/modern than Dubai.
1) Tokyo
2) HK
3) Seoul, Shanghai
Some of those European cities also futuristic
steve_skyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #148
OtAkAw
BUMMED

Likes (Received): 530

Tokyo is the most futuristic of all.
OtAkAw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:13 AM   #149
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insignia
I Agree with most parts. But I think Dubai is more modern than Hong Kong..
Disagree. Where is the subway?

Dubai.

HONG KONG

SHANGHAI
FROM ANTON

SCROLL

SCROLL

SCROLL

D-E-N ~C-I-T-Y
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:17 AM   #150
sloid

Likes (Received): 4

in terms of skyline i'd say hong kong

but futuristic in terms of the stuff the city has, transpo and such i'd say TOKYO
sloid no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #151
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Here is a very interesting take on sustainable development and a choice for the most futuristic city :

Civilization is a city without cars
11 March 2006
Montreal Gazette

Dawn, or at least a thinning of the darkness, low clouds and a cold steady rain over the wide Canale della Giudecca, the Zattere where the strollers promenade in summer, the old stone of this most romantic of cities. Love can flourish or die here: Beginnings begin, endings end.

A couple of decades ago, a close friend of mine spent six months in this city with his true love, a passionate woman from Crete who happened also to be one of the world's leading scholars in Venetian art of the 11th and 12th centuries.

At the end of that time, as he was about to return to Calgary with an understandably heavy heart, he sent me a postcard with this simple message: "I want to die in Venice."

Well, yes - but all in all, I would rather live in Venice.

Venice (or Venezia in Italian) is derived from an old Phoenician word meaning "way too many pigeons." You could also add "way too many dogs." (Anyone who wonders whatever became of those multi-talented Italian geniuses such as Leonardo and Michelangelo have only to watch a modern Italian simultaneously manipulate a cigarette, a cell phone and a dog leash. Multi-tasking is in the national character.) The locals would no doubt insist that Venezia means "way too many tourists," this wandering journalist among them.

Early this week I rose before 6 a.m. and went out immediately to catch the vaporetto to Piazza San Marco, which I had seen first through a light late-evening rain by first night in the city. At that hour of the morning, there was no one in the Piazza except myself, the pigeons and a half-dozen men with antique brooms sweeping the cobblestones. I sat alone on a bench for an hour and watched the shifting light on the facades of the Basilica and of the Doge's Palace next to it, then went for a coffee and returned two hours later, intending to look inside those two great attractions.

I rounded the corner into the Piazza and stopped short. Outside the Doge's Palace there was a line of at least 400 Japanese tourists; waiting at the door of San Marco were as many more.

Mercifully, there is so much of Venice that there is no need to do more than walk through the Piazza San Marco. After that, you are much better off spending your time in the Frari Church, the Ca' Rezzonico Palace, the Accademia and especially the Scuola Grande di San Rocco, where the Tintorettos, in my humble opinion, are the most magnificent sight in a magnificent place.

- - -

Venice is, in case you haven't been here, a city that operates without automobiles. No trucks, no buses, no cars. Anywhere. You enter Venice proper at the Santa Lucia train station and you do not see an automobile until you leave.

Somewhere in this addled pea that passes for a brain, I always had it in mind that some part of Venice must operate by automobile while the picturesque neighborhoods we always see were dominated by canals. Not so: a city of 271,000 souls and a couple of hundred thousand tourists at any given time - and no cars.

Venice is also several times larger than I had envisioned, and in places there is no nearby canal; goods are hauled by two-wheeled, rubber-tired carts, and it is not unusual to see a man dragging a box containing a refrigerator up and down the steps of one of the bridges that cross the canals.

Everything else, obviously, has to be done by water. One day early this week I was stranded for 45 minutes at a vaporetto stop before a French couple explained that the waterbus drivers were on strike and there would not be another one for three hours.

While I was waiting, I watched a little of everything happening on the Grand Canal: gondolas, water taxis, police boats, a transport carting a grand piano and two very ugly couches. Next to me, a man was hauling enormous metal garbage boxes down to the water's edge while another hoisted them into one of the slender green garbage boats with a small boat-mounted crane.

I heard the wail of a siren and a fire boat came charging down the canal with five or six big firemen standing tall on the deck. Like everything else here, fire-fighting has to be done by boat.

Suddenly, I had one of those epiphanies that come to travelers who sleep too little, wander too much and have no one to talk to for days: Everyone comes to Venice for the antiquities but Venice may be the most futuristic city on the planet.

Some day, if we are going to survive as a species, we are going to have to jettison the automobile, especially in large urban settings where they idle in traffic all day long. Venice makes it quite clear that a modern city can function without cars - it just takes a little imagination and, perhaps, a little necessity.

So why not flood the Decarie Expressway? (It's been done before, you know.) Sink the Metropolitan. (Wouldn't you love to?) Bury the Ville-Marie. Bring in the vaporetti and a little civilization, if you please.

- - -

I have been fortunate enough to see more than a little civilization over the past five weeks. Milan to Torino to Genoa to Venice to Trieste and back to Venice. I envy my friend, who was lucky enough to spend half a year passionately in love in this city.

I have gazed at Tintorettos and Titians and Tiepolos, wandered the canals of Venice and the hills of Genoa, marveled at the site of the Po River at night.

I have come to the end of Italy. It is time to go home.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:49 PM   #152
jai_gandhi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
It's all good man
ummmm no, you really piss me off
Old March 25th, 2006, 03:50 PM   #153
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
It's just a forum, relax

Old March 25th, 2006, 04:08 PM   #154
paradyto
entendre privilege

Tokyo
paradyto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:28 PM   #155
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
There are other people in this thread besides you and Wanch, I for one couldnt give a toss about what you think of him! Either post something that has to do with this thread or piss off!

Now that's said ...

That article demonstrates exactly what I've been trying to say about what I would consider the most futuristic city on earth. I think it's quite possible that the most futuristic city on earth is a small city that either you've never heard of or one you'd least expect to be considered 'futuristic'.

As I see it, it's very easy to build huge numbers of new buildings, it's easier if you're planning a city from scratch. If you build a new city you build it in the best place, in a place that has good soil conditions, has good transport links and where there's little to no restriction on development.

Such a city may look futuristic but I argue that the most futuristic cities of all are already established cities that have more things to contend with. These cities may have to have developed new and innovative technologies just to ensure their continued existance, technologies that new cities dont or at least (if enough thought has gone into their planning) shouldnt need. Take for example Rotterdam, parts of the city lie 7m below sea level. The technology employed to protect the city from the sea whilest still allowing the city to have one of the world's largest ports must be amazing - state of the art! Similar for many parts of Holland and yet people dont ordinarily think of Dutch cities as futuristic.

What about an ancient city that's full of buildings that cannot be redeveloped because of their historical value that uses the most modern technologies to restore these old buildings and make them suitable for modern life?

Similarly, more so than the fact that it has a great skyline and lots of new buildings, one of the things that makes Tokyo futuristic is it's necessary use of some of the best engineering technology to allow the city to exist and continue to thrive dispite being on a fault line that experiences huge numbers of earthquakes.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #156
jai_gandhi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
There are other people in this thread besides you and Wanch, I for one couldnt give a toss about what you think of him! Either post something that has to do with this thread or piss off!

Just f off.
Old March 26th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #157
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Sustainable development is slowly creeping into urban planning. The next era of urbanization would focus on more practical issues such as dealing with garbage, reducing traffic, creating lively urban spaces, and such. This is where the notion of futurism deviates from the appearance of the skyline. While architecture can certainly have a futuristic component, as is the case in Shanghai, ultimately, finding a way to grow and sustain cities in the future should play a much bigger part in our aspirations for the post-modern era.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 26th, 2006, 05:59 AM   #158
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

hong kong is a good contender because it has that mixture of futurism and grit that you see in many conceptions of futuristic cities.

ever seen ghost in the shell? that city is sooo hong kong
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:17 AM   #159
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2bebrown
hong kong is a good contender because it has that mixture of futurism and grit that you see in many conceptions of futuristic cities.

ever seen ghost in the shell? that city is sooo hong kong
Ghost In The Shell has that futuristic feel.

Anyway, HK's trademarks of futurism is it's skyline, skyscrapers and it's lighting effects, infrastructure, transportation and urban developments.

Old March 28th, 2006, 06:03 AM   #160
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Europe's historic cities face an important crossroads. Their cities were never designed for fiber optic lines and car culture, yet they are able to modernize with excellent inter-regional infrastructure. The European railway network is the most extensive regional system in the world, connecting multiple countries with a mix of high-speed and conventional rail. Meanwhile, individual cities are improving their transit systems with new subways, trams, and buses. The city of tomorrow is one that can successfully keep this car culture out, and have people take advantage of an excellent infrastructure.