daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Skyscrapers

Skyscrapers General news, discussion and announcement forum about skyscrapers, including the Skyscraper Living forum

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #161
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2570

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The city of tomorrow is one that can successfully keep this car culture out, and have people take advantage of an excellent infrastructure.
Isn't that the thing with HK especially it's efficient transportation system? Honestly I grew up in the city and my parents lived here for decades and we never owned a car. We just either walk, take the MTR, tram, bus, cab, ferry, etc.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #162
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17785

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH
Isn't that the thing with HK especially it's efficient transportation system? Honestly I grew up in the city and my parents lived here for decades and we never owned a car. We just either walk, take the MTR, tram, bus, cab, ferry, etc.
Many cities have good infrastructure, not just Hong Kong. London and Paris, for example, have very extensive subway systems, albeit old. However, they are able to incorporate technological advances in fare collection and frequency management (those boards that show how many minutes before the next train arrives). A lot of the smaller European cities have revitalized their tram fleets in recent years as well. Sparkling new trams are now spreading across the whole continent.

In these types of international discussions, I think everyone should put a more global perspective in their choices, and recognize that aspects of futurism are plenty in every city, not just one.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #163
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Many cities have good infrastructure, not just Hong Kong. London and Paris, for example, have very extensive subway systems, albeit old. However, they are able to incorporate technological advances in fare collection and frequency management (those boards that show how many minutes before the next train arrives). A lot of the smaller European cities have revitalized their tram fleets in recent years as well. Sparkling new trams are now spreading across the whole continent.

In these types of international discussions, I think everyone should put a more global perspective in their choices, and recognize that aspects of futurism are plenty in every city, not just one.
A little off-topic but the wack thing is I've only been to Europe once which was Paris but that was back in 1997 so I don't know much what's going on there today except what you see on The BBC.

But I often travel to The United States and most US cities are still car dependant. New York and Boston are a few exception.

Old March 28th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #164
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
A little off-topic but the wack thing is I've only been to Europe once which was Paris but that was back in 1997 so I don't know much what's going on there today except what you see on The BBC.

But I often travel to The United States and most US cities are still car dependant. New York and Boston are a few exception.
Here are some new developments on the infrastructure side since your last visit :

London's Jubilee Line

New buses

Dublin's Luas trams

Barcelona's new tram

(and a Mercedes bus)

And another new tram in Brussels

(and a new bus)

... and a possible maglev in Munich?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 28th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #165
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

hi-tech Sad though that alot of US are not getting these kinds of transpo convenience!

Old March 28th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #166
FabriFlorence

Likes (Received): 393

I don't have dubt. SHANGHAI is the most futuristic city of all!
FabriFlorence no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 02:58 AM   #167
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
hi-tech Sad though that alot of US are not getting these kinds of transpo convenience!
Some American cities are starting to re-invest in infrastructure. Boston's Big Dig comes into mind, while Houston has brand new trams just like those in many European cities.

Old March 29th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #168
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Some American cities are starting to re-invest in infrastructure. Boston's Big Dig comes into mind, while Houston has brand new trams just like those in many European cities.

The only thing I heard from Houston is the city's light rail system which you mentioned.

LA also have the rapid bus system as well but the city is still car dependent.

Old March 29th, 2006, 06:33 AM   #169
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
The only thing I heard from Houston is the city's light rail system which you mentioned.

LA also have the rapid bus system as well but the city is still car dependent.
Portland is actually a model city when it comes to public transport. New York has just installed new trains with moving electronic maps. Across the Hudson, a LRT extension in New Jersey has just been completed.

Minneapolis has new trams :
http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...en/1_0/1_0.jsp

There are signs of progress in car culture land.

Old March 29th, 2006, 07:04 AM   #170
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Portland is actually a model city when it comes to public transport. New York has just installed new trains with moving electronic maps. Across the Hudson, a LRT extension in New Jersey has just been completed.

Minneapolis has new trams :
http://www.bombardier.com/index.jsp?...en/1_0/1_0.jsp

There are signs of progress in car culture land.
I have never seen Portland's transportation system but I saw the new subway cars for NY.

Old March 29th, 2006, 07:18 AM   #171
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Metro encouraged to try for streetcar line
By HEATHER GREENFIELD
6 June 2002

WASHINGTON (AP) - A streetcar is something Washington area transit officials desire. And a bike-riding western congressman - whose city is a model for streetcars and light rail - is urging them to go for it.

Rep. Earl Blumenaur, D-Oregon, told Metro Planning Committee members Thursday that a two-mile street car route through Portland, which opened last summer, took just three weeks per block to build.

He also encouraged Metro to ask for federal funds for a streetcar or light rail line, saying it offers a less expensive, more versatile solution than tunneling through the city to build another subway line.

"This was a streetcar region, so it's pretty easy in a sense to go back to the future," Blumenaur said, referring to D.C.'s long gone mode of transportation that began in 1862 with horse cars, and ended 100 years later when Congress ordered the streetcars replaced by buses.

"The timing is perfect because there is a consensus that something's got to happen," he said, noting that congestion in the region is affecting quality of life. Blumenaur does not own a car in Washington and usually rides his bike to Capitol Hill.

Metro Board Chairman Christopher Zimmerman hopes committee members were inspired to create another mode of transit to better connect the region.

"It's not just to move people, but it creates places as it develops the area," Zimmerman said.

Blumenaur also gave an example of how to jump-start lengthy projects like rail to Dulles.

He said if it was built sequentially - that is, start now by laying track at the airport end of the route, while politicians work out the exact loops and turns to connect to the West Falls Church Metrorail station - it could save three years in construction time.

"They have the authority, they have the right of way, let's get going," Blumenaur said.

Planning board member Katherine Hanley of Fairfax County, Va. - who has been a chief advocate for rail to Dulles - said the project timetable will be as aggressive as the federal government will let it be.

"I'm very encouraged we have a member of Congress not from this region who thinks rail to Tysons and rail to Dulles is as important as I do," Hanley said.

Old March 29th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #172
Andrew

Likes (Received): 36

In general the majority of the urban fabric of Asian cities is more recently built and as such their use of technology and it's integration into city life is more overt, it's more obvious than their European counterparts. That doesnt, however mean that they are more technologically advanced than older European cities. As hkskyline has pointed out, europe has some of the best inter and intracity public transport anywhere. Many of Europe's old cities are seeing new tram and subway systems that incorporate the world's most up to date technology. While the facades of many of the buildings in such cities are old, their adaptive re-use has incorporated the best technology there is to turn them into thoroughly modern buildings inside equipped with all the facilities expected of new build grade A office developments or new hotels/residential etc.
Also dont forget that sustainability (which I think is vital to the future of cities and therefore should be considered in what makes a city futuristic) also includes low tech and traditional solutions such as the replacement of cars in city centres with bicycles. In the past (and maybe now) bicycles in city centres were seen by the authorities as backward, the Pudong area of Shanghai shows this dramatically when you look at the hierarchy of transport uses there. Instead of the main focus being public transport with bikes and pedestrians as the dominant surface level movement, Pudong is dominated by huge highways cutting right through the district - I believe there was a quote (from I think Richard Rogers) discribing the Pudong masterplan as something like "a sea of skyscrapers swimming in a sea of cars". While Shanghai is amazing and Pudong has done wonders for the city's status it's clear that in terms of sustainability, some mistakes were made in the area's masterplan becasuse most certainly the car is king in that development.
Andrew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #173
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Pudong kinda reminds me of Dubai's business district. In Dubai, you have a main blvd. creating a skyscraper canyon. It's odd that I don't see footbridges that cross the blvd. unless it's underground.

Old March 29th, 2006, 07:45 AM   #174
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The boulevard concept is present in many other cities around the world. Even the skyscrapers in Paris' La Defense are built around a central pedestrian boulevard with the metro running underneath.

That boulevard in Pudong is indeed big, but it might be better scaled once all the developments are finished, which may take another decade perhaps?

Old March 29th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #175
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
The boulevard concept is present in many other cities around the world. Even the skyscrapers in Paris' La Defense are built around a central pedestrian boulevard with the metro running underneath.

That boulevard in Pudong is indeed big, but it might be better scaled once all the developments are finished, which may take another decade perhaps?
I like the boulevard concept but I prefer the pedestrian type in the centre such as the one in La Defense and have a high-way surround it.

About CBDs, to me, Central (HK) is one of the best CBDs in Asia. No I'm not talking about it's skyscrapers but it's accessibility. Central is served by every form of transportation in HK from bus, tram, MTR and ferries. A main highway passes through the district. Most of it's buildings are also connected by bridges and there are also underpasses and foot bridges that connect the bulidings around Star Ferry with buildings around Statue Square.

Last edited by Manila-X; March 29th, 2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old March 29th, 2006, 06:36 PM   #176
Castle_Bravo
Urban experience...

Likes (Received): 199

I love the public transport in HK

Quote:
I think that this pic looks very futuristic ( it's in HK)
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:03 PM   #177
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Well, most downtowns are well-connected by public transport and the buildings are within close proximity of each other with some sort of linkages.

Old March 29th, 2006, 09:14 PM   #178
drmadham

Likes (Received): 1

there are some absolutely stunning pics posted here!

Dubai is futuristic given its region and rapid growth, but places like Tokyo have it more established, therefore my vote goes for Tokyo. Plus, those bullet trains convinced me
Old March 30th, 2006, 06:07 AM   #179
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle_Bravo
I love the public transport in HK

I think that this pic looks very futuristic ( it's in HK)
It's alive and modern but not always futuristic. But there's no doubt that HK public transport is very modern.

Old March 30th, 2006, 10:22 PM   #180
Blue_Sky

Likes (Received): 583

My list would be
1. Tokyo
2. Seoul
3. HK = Shanghai
Blue_Sky no está en línea   Reply With Quote