search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 31st, 2005, 01:22 AM   #1
DenverDane

Likes (Received): 14

DD's Photogasmic Copenhagen thread

I promised earlier that I would do a phototour of Copenhagen. It turned out to be rather extensive, but luckily the weather was with me most of the time....

The first picture is a panorama I made from the top of The Church of Our Savior. I think you have the best view of Copenhagen from that tower. The church itself is 89 m. tall and was built in 1696.

You can also easily see the Øresund Bridge, which connects Sweden with Denmark. The bridge is 8 km long and its two pylons are 204 m. tall. The rest of the connection consists of a 4 km long tunnel and a 4 km long artificial island.

In Ørestad Ferring (80 m. tall) looks pretty slick as always. It's one of the better looking boxes in my opinion. I especially like the color. To the left you can see the largest mall in Scandinavia, field's.

Frederiksberg Garden is an often overlooked gem in Copenhagen.

Frederiksberg Castle in Frederiksberg Garden is a pretty, yellow castle built in the period 1699 - 1703.

The Copenhagen Zoo has an observation tower, which is a small copy of the Eiffel Tower made of wood. It's 44 m. tall but since it stands on a hill, it looks taller from afar.

Vesterbro (Western Bridge) is one of the boroughs of Copenhagen. Here is Vesterbro Square with the Elias Church in the middle.

Østerbro (Eastern Bridge) is another of Copenhagen's boroughs. The Østerbro Triangle is a major intersection.

To make our Norwegian friends happy, here is a square named after their capital, namely Oslo Plads.

The largest stadium in Denmark is Parken, which is where the national soccer team plays as well as FC Copenhagen! Go FCK! It's got a retractable roof and room for about 42,000 seated spectators.

There is no Sønderbro (Southern Bridge), but there is a Nørrebro (Northern Bridge). Shown below is the main street, Nørrebrogade. As you can see the bicycle is a common means of transportation in Copenhagen.

Sankt Hans Torv is a cozy square in the middle of Nørrebro.

Grundtvig's Church in Bispebjerg is massive, but I like the design. It's 49 m. tall.

From Kalvebod Bridge you can see the skyline of Copenhagen City in the distance.

Some power plants look nicer than others. Avedøre Plant looks pretty slick in my opinion.

Let's go to Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen's beatiful, world famous amusement park in the center of the city.

Copenhagen also has one of the ubiquitous Hard Rock Cafes, which you can find all over the world (coming soon to Riga and Oslo too). It's accessible from both inside and outside Tivoli Gardens (but you cannot walk through it to skip the Tivoli entrance fee! ).

Many more pictures to come later....
DenverDane no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:48 AM   #2
Whose Homepage
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

O DenverDane, I'm so happy to hear and see that you got to go and pay a visit to your beautiful home town of Copenhagen!

You show off the sites and sights just beautifully, tying the entire capital together very nicely. And your photos are excellent!
Whose Homepage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:21 AM   #3
chukchi

Likes (Received): 17

wonderful photos
chukchi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:05 AM   #4
Hviid
Positivist

Likes (Received): 79

I hate my internet connection!!! It takes 5 damn minutes to load 1 picture! You can imagine how long i've waited for all these to load Anyways, it was defidentally worth it. Beautiful pictures! What camera did you use?
Old August 31st, 2005, 05:23 AM   #5
DenverDane

Thanks for the comments, WH, chukchi and DLL! I was using a Canon Digital Rebel.

Now it's time for the second installment (sorry, DLL, this might kill your Internet connection....).

Now we move to the Northeastern part of Copenhagen. The area called Kastellet was used in the fortification of the city.

Close to Kastellet is Langelinie where all the cruise ships line up. Copenhagen has become a major cruise destination in Europe and the world.

View of the harbor. The ship in the middle is the royal yacht, Dannebrog, which is named after the Danish flag.

The Little Mermaid sits quietly on her stone, waiting for her prince.

The Gefion Fountain and St. Alban's Church.

The newly renovated Gefion Fountain.

The new opera house, which was made by the same architect behind the Ferring building.

Just across from the opera house is the Amaliehaven garden.

Amalienborg Palace is home to the Queen of Denmark. In the background you can see the Frederik Church.

The Frederik Church (also known as the Marble Church).

The Alexander Newsky Church.

Many tourists find that Nyhavn (New Harbor) reminds them of Amsterdam. It is the place to be on a hot summer day!

Kongens Nytorv (The King's New Square) was recently renovated. It's surrounded by beautiful buildings like the Royal Theater, Magasin department store, and Hotel D'Angleterre.

Still lots of unexplored areas left, i.e. more problems for DLL!

Last edited by DenverDane; May 16th, 2006 at 10:14 PM.
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:16 AM   #6
Hviid
Positivist

Likes (Received): 79

Hey go ahead I don't mind at all. Especially not when the pictures are as awesome as these
Old August 31st, 2005, 07:30 AM   #7
mlm
Member #109

Likes (Received): 113

Thanx DanverDane, these are really great

It surely is rather extensive, seems like you've covered a huge areal.
mlm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:01 AM   #8
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Likes (Received): 6

Wonderful pictures. Good job...

I'm currently in Lahore and will stay here to december and these pictures sure make me miss home. Only one thing missing in my opinion: An evening shot of the Islands Brygge, where people sit to have barbecue and drink bears ;-).

And by the way, it is possible to skip the entrance fee by walking through the Hard Rock Café. Not that I've done it, but I've had the chance to do it so many times ;-)
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 08:18 AM   #9
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Since bears are hard to drink, I meant BEERS ;-)
Old August 31st, 2005, 09:12 AM   #10
wolkenkrabber
Expert

Woohoo! awsome thread, and it bring bad allot of memmories from my trip to Cph in the summer of 2002!
wolkenkrabber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 10:17 AM   #11
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 191

nice setup you got there! I need more cph pics, streetscenes please! .

since you are using a digital rebel... i must give you some criticism...
first off, your pics are a bit dark (is it my gamma?). and a bit overexposed (the sky) at other parts .
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/3...avnmini2fa.jpg
this is my favourite pic. Its mby a tad underexposed, but its pretty nice though

Also, we are awesome architects - www.sportsport.ee
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:33 AM   #12
Köbtke

Likes (Received): 185

Great pictures Denver Dane!

Just one thing, do you have some more of less touristy places?

By the way, you talk about there being no Sønderbro: I've always wondered how Nørrebro, Vesterbro and Østerbro got their names. I know they were situated at entrances to the city, when it still had its palisades, that were called the same. But when you look at it, Nørrebro, is actually to the West, Østerbro to the North, and Vesterbro the the South - more or less, anyway. Anyone got any explanation for this?
Köbtke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 12:51 PM   #13
DenverDane

Thanks, guys!

@mlm: Yes, and there is still a lot more to come....

@TORONTOCOPENHAGEN: Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take any night shots. Maybe next time or someone else?

@ch1le: Yes, I know... On some of the days the sun was very sharp and on others it was overcast. I didn't have time to mess with the settings each time I wanted to take a picture, so I just used the automatic settings. They work pretty well most of the time, but this wasn't an attempt to win any awards. I need more time to learn how to use the camera better.

@Köbtke: Don't worry... If I post all of my pictures, there will certainly be pictures of less touristy places as well.
Old August 31st, 2005, 01:04 PM   #14
TORONTOCOPENHAGEN

Vesterbro is West of Copenhagen and Nørrebro is north of the old city centre (Christiansborg and Børsen). However, I can't explain Østerbro! ;-)
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:53 PM   #15
staff
囧!

Location: Hong Kong | Singapore | Melbourne | Malmö | Copenhagen | Shanghai
Likes (Received): 716

Thanks for these. I visited CPH myself yesterday again, must have been the 10th time this summer I sure as hell like it, one of the best cities in the world in my opinion.

This photo is really dynamic. A cargo ship to the left, a landing aircraft in the middle, a car and train bridge in the background, and a bustling metropolis in the foreground. Love it.
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:26 PM   #16
DenverDane

@staff: Thanks! Actually, I wanted the cargo ship to be in focus too along with the plane, but it was moving too slow, so I only got half of it... And I didn't have time to wait for another similar opportunity.

BTW, I visited Malmö as well! Photo thread coming soon to a forum near you! The Öresund region is truly becoming more integrated!
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:32 PM   #17
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Wonderful pics...I love our city...

TORONTOCOPENHAGEN: thats what the edit button is for...

Köbtke: The boroughs, or ports, are just that. Ports. Or at least named after the old ports, that was the entrence to the city. The ware named, not only after where the were, but after the roads the were linked to. Vesterport linked to the road to the west, Nørreport to the north and so on. When the ports was tken down, and most notable Østerport was moved the mames changed to bro or bridge, so that the areas be names nørrebro, vesterbro, and østerbro, named after the ports, but covering the entire areas between the old ports and the new areas...A bit confusing i know...But basicly the city grew, but the names stayed the same....

hope this helps....
cphdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:11 PM   #18
Jarmo K
3:36

Likes (Received): 187

i LOVE threads like that!!!!!!!

especially when they're about a beautiful city like copenhagen (:
really nice, really really really really!

thanks very much for these photos, dd!
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:18 PM   #19
PPOBBO
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

ehm, im the only one whoi thinks this city is FUGLY?!
PPOBBO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:28 PM   #20
Köbtke

Likes (Received): 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
Köbtke: The boroughs, or ports, are just that. Ports. Or at least named after the old ports, that was the entrence to the city. The ware named, not only after where the were, but after the roads the were linked to. Vesterport linked to the road to the west, Nørreport to the north and so on. When the ports was tken down, and most notable Østerport was moved the mames changed to bro or bridge, so that the areas be names nørrebro, vesterbro, and østerbro, named after the ports, but covering the entire areas between the old ports and the new areas...A bit confusing i know...But basicly the city grew, but the names stayed the same....

hope this helps....
Thanks. I knew the stuff about the "ports" (I actually thought you meant "port", as in "habour", for a couple of moments ) and all that. But the roads part of your answer helps.

I guess a short answer would be, after what you told me, that the boroughs and before them the gates, aren't named after what corner of the world they faces or faced, but after where the road leading through them took you...?

@ TORONTOCOPENHAGEN: If you look at a map, Vesterbro is situated below the old part of Copenhagen and the current center of the city) the part of the city that was within "voldene" - or at least the the South-West of that. Nørrebro is strictly located to the West. Some of the newer parts of Nørrebro and Nordvestkvarteret, are located to North-West, but still West. Whereas as Østerbro is the most Northern part of Copenhagen itself, I guess.
That's why the names, even of the old gates, have (I guess they do now) never made sense to me.
Köbtke no está en línea   Reply With Quote