daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:06 PM   #1
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 2097

Churches of Warsaw part II

Churches of Warsaw part II :


Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and of St. Joseph

Baroque. Built for the Discalced Carmelite monks in 1661-1681.

Designed by J. Belloti and funded by King Władysław IV.

The Neo-Classic façade to Efraim Schroeger\'s design. It had served as a pro-Cathedral until the Cathedral of St. John\'s was rebuilt.





The Church of the Nuns of the Visitation ('Kosciol Wizytek')

Baroque church, built during 1728-1733 and 1754-1763.






Church of the Holy Cross

Baroque Church with the characteristic figure of the Christ (work of P.Weloński) and the inscription reading: \”Sursum Corda\”.

Built between 1679 and 1696. Designed by J.Belotti. Founded by Abbot K.Szczuka and Primate M.Radziejowski.

Into its pillars are walled the urns with the hearts of F.Chopin (1882) and of Wł.Reymont.

Rebuilt in 1945-1953 after the wartime destructions.

Numerous epitaphs dedicated to B.Prus, J.I.Kraszewski, J.Słowacki, Wł.Sikorski and others.










Jesus from the Church of the Holy Cross during and after the war

St. Andrew's Church and Sisters of the Canon Convent

Erected for Jesuits in the early 18th century. Founded by Primate T.Potocki. In 1819, given to the Sisters of the Canon. Destroyed in 1944. Rebuilt in 1999. Now it is a spiritual center for the artistic circles. Its second patron is Blessed Albert Chmielowski.




St. Anthony of Padua and Reformed Franciscan Monastery Church

Baroque. Built in 1668-1680. Founded by Castellan S.Skaryszewski. Partly destroyed during the Warsaw Uprising. The nave and cloister retain the 18th-20th century epitaphs and tombstones, especially of the soldiers fallen during the World War II.



Holy Trinity Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession

Built in 1777-1782 to S.Z.Zug\'s design in form of a Classic rotunda, like the Pantheon of Rome.

In 1939, burnt down. Rebuilt after war. Because of its acoustic improvements and a splendid organ, the Warsaw Chamber Opera regularly organizes in this building concerts of classical music.






Calvinist Church


try to find it on the photo

Church of Saint Alexander

Modelled on the Roman Pantheon, this church boasts a sculpture of Christ that dates from the 18th century (created in 1818 – 1825 to the design by Chrystian Piotr Aigner, in order to honour Tsar Alexander the Great)

It was here that Allied secret agents met during WWII.

Destroyed in 1944, later rebuilt (with the exceptiom and was again given classicistic forms.)








church around 1870




Saint Alexander church before the II WW !

St. Anna's Church (Wilanow)

Raised in 1772-1775. Founded by A.Czartoryski. Redesigned in Neo-Renaissance style in 1857-1870 under H.Marconi and J.Heurich.





Church of the Saviour (Kosciol Zbawiciela)

const. between 1901 - 1927. Damaged during II WW.





Boromeusza church (Wola)

const. between 1841-49



'Sw. Augustyna' Church

const. at the end of XIX cent.

during II WW the churhc was localized in the middle of Jewish ghetto

The church burned down, but the walls somehow survived the war.







before the war



just after the II WW - huge part of Warsaw totally annihilated... church somehow survived

All Saints' Church

It was one of two churches within Jewish ghetto limits, serving Christians of Jewish descent.

The other one was the Church of the Annuciation on Leszno Street (now Solidarności Avenue).





before II WW

just after the war

St. Florian's cathedral

The two red spires of the St. Florian's Church (kosciol sw. Floriana) dominate the silhouette of the Praga district on the eastern bank of the Vistula river. It was bulit around 1900, but totally destroyed in 1944. The church which is also known as Cathedral of Praga was rebulit until 1972.







The Orthodox Church of St. Mary Magdalene

The Orthodox Church of St. Mary Magdalene (sw. Marii Magdaleny) was completed in 1869 to serve as a place of worship for the Russian citzens of Warsaw. It was built in Russian Byzantine style with 5 onion doomed towers.




Orthodox church (Wola)


Last edited by DocentX; August 31st, 2005 at 04:12 PM.
DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:40 AM   #2
Phobos
Registered User
 
Phobos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Porto
Posts: 9,408



Some parts of this church reminds Saint Paul's in London.This church had some resemblances with english temples.
__________________
www.deforma.wordpress.com
Phobos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 03:11 AM   #3
paku
polished and finnished
 
paku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Helsinki, Wroclaw
Posts: 1,811
Likes (Received): 218


I just love this photo!
paku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 04:18 AM   #4
SinCity
Streetwalker
 
SinCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sodom & Gomorrah
Posts: 7,024
Likes (Received): 101

Very nice churches.
SinCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 09:55 AM   #5
DocentX
Registered User
 
DocentX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Warsaw
Posts: 6,809
Likes (Received): 2097

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos


Some parts of this church reminds Saint Paul's in London.This church had some resemblances with english temples.
this church is a great loss to the Warsaw architecture.

It was rebuilt in older, more simple style :

DocentX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2005, 01:57 PM   #6
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος
 
Arpels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Guarda/Barreiro
Posts: 53,256
Likes (Received): 378

fantastic churches
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #7
wholagun
Where is my Genie lamp?
 
wholagun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 882
Likes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocentX
this church is a great loss to the Warsaw architecture.

It was rebuilt in older, more simple style :


IF YOU REBUILDT IT THEY WILL COME.
wholagun no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #8
AW-d
Registered User
 
AW-d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 225
Likes (Received): 331

St. Kazimierz Church (Baroque; built in 1692, reconstructed in 1947-53)



more: http://www.arunasworld.com/st-kazimierz-church/
AW-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu