daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Asian Skyscraper Forums > South East Asia > Singapore Skyscraper Forum

Singapore Skyscraper Forum » Projects | Heritage | Transport | Skyscrapers & Cityscapes | Skybar

Old March 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM   #121
JediAlf
May the Force Be With You

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally posted by redstone

Since the govt keeps on reclaiming land ,it's about time the govt build super-tall flats.Like 60 flrs+.Most of the flats in Sg are only 12 storeys tall.
All residental areas under the path of flights (Taman Jurong, Boon Lay, parts of Choa Chu Kang, Jurong West, Yishun, Woodlands, Sengkang, Punggol, Tampines, Seletar, Pasir Ris) will have height restriction - limited between 15 and 25 storeys.

Bishan, Ang Mo Kio, Bukit Panjang, Jurong East, Bedok, Bukit Merah, Toa Payoh, Dover, Queenstown, Redhill will have HDB Blocks towering over 30 storeys and up to 40 storeys. The government may consider building more 50-storeys blocks in these areas after first 50-storeys emerge in Tanjong Pagar.

More condo are also reported to exceed the 30 storeys.

Downtown core next to Raffles Place/Shenton Way at Marina Bay - we can expect to have more homes over 50 storeys and may reach 70 storeys in future.

We can relax and admire the beauty of skyline Singapore has.
JediAlf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:11 PM   #122
heirloom

Likes (Received): 0

when you type replies like that do you think and think and refer and refer to maps and other sources or does all that just roll off the tip of your fingers?
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:36 PM   #123
JediAlf

Quote:
Originally posted by heirloom

when you type replies like that do you think and think and refer and refer to maps and other sources or does all that just roll off the tip of your fingers?
Height restrictions are always published in URA planning guidelines telling developers how many stories they can build on a site - easily available at URA office. I sometimes go there, reading the plans. :P

You can access to them easily too. They have large books consisting all maps and every map shows the details of zones and the coloured zones where you can build tall skyscrapers - on ground level of URA building.

Even URA has models on second level - they show the models of what you can expect in future.

HDB has also models available at HDB Hub. You can check out the maps. This will also give to you idea which areas will have tall residental homes.

Alternatively, you can make visit to various HDB estates across Singapore, you will be able to observe. Dozens of 30-storey HDB blocks are already being completed or undergoing construction in several areas. These are easily noticed from any angles. I always go around and explore whenever I like.

Watch the planes coming and landing, then you will know the answer since I am aviation fan, familiar with aviation.

For years, Singapore has been emulating parts of great cities around the world - for example, getting a university in the city. London has it, New York has it.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:11 PM   #124
heirloom

still... it's amazing you have all that at your fingertips... you can become a teacher or something..
heirloom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:28 PM   #125
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally posted by JediAlf

This sparks off my suspicion that the Government may cease operating Paya Lebar Airport once Changi East Air Base is ready by end of this year to handle all types of military planes.

Keep our fingers crossed. We may see more skyscrapers breaking the 280m limit.
Will our air defence be compromised without the Paya Lebar Airbase?

and I sure hope they go beyond 280m but the URA plans for new downtown said maximum of 245m!
RafflesCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:57 AM   #126
JediAlf

Quote:
Originally posted by RafflesCity

Will our air defence be compromised without the Paya Lebar Airbase?

and I sure hope they go beyond 280m but the URA plans for new downtown said maximum of 245m!
Talking about the air defence (it is off topic hahaha), new Changi East Air Base is already in phase of construction and ready to handle all types of military planes.

We still have Tengah Air Base and Sembawang Air Base. Similiarly, we have two naval bases - located at Tuas and Changi. Navy already moved out of Brani long ago. Brani is now part of Keppel/Tanjang Pagar container port.

Apart from this, RSAF put many planes and helicopters including Apache around the world, France, Australia, United States, training our air force people.

Don't worry too much, and leave the defence to the SAF.

Back to the question of height, URA is very flexible in changing the rules. The rules are decided by URA after all.

I will smile if the Government officially announces the cease operation of Paya Lebar Airport. if they dun do this, there goes my vision of seeing taller skyscrapers in CBD...

Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:05 AM   #127
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Quote:
Originally posted by JediAlf

Don't worry too much, and leave the defence to the SAF.

Back to the question of height, URA is very flexible in changing the rules. The rules are decided by URA after all.

I will smile if the Government officially announces the cease operation of Paya Lebar Airport. if they dun do this, there goes my vision of seeing taller skyscrapers in CBD...

So would I! When will the Changi Airbase be operational?

Well if they are in a position to close Paya Lebar Airbase, I guess they know what theyre doing and have looked at the defence requirements first of course. You just sounded sure they will do it so I'm excited.

So the current CBD height restriction isnt due to Changi Airport approach? Cos sometimes late at night, I do see commercial planes fly high over Raffles Place.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:44 AM   #128
JediAlf

Quote:

So would I! When will the Changi Airbase be operational?

Well if they are in a position to close Paya Lebar Airbase, I guess they know what theyre doing and have looked at the defence requirements first of course. You just sounded sure they will do it so I'm excited.

So the current CBD height restriction isnt due to Changi Airport approach? Cos sometimes late at night, I do see commercial planes fly high over Raffles Place.
Changi East Air Base will be operational (expected) by end of this year or 2005.

Planes do fly over CBD. If I am not wrong, the max height that the skyscrapers can go far is 400m in CBD.

If the skyscraper really hits 400m in CBD, it will become a very important beacon with glowing lights or flashing lights.

All home-bound pilots flying the planes can utter "Hey, Changi Airport is ahead. Home at last." once they see the beacon on the skyscraper.

It is like something like United States's Statue of Liberty in New York, welcoming you.

It is same for Kuala Lumpur's twin Petronas Towers and KL Tower.

When I was on coach enroute to Kuala Lumpur from Singapore, I was sleeping. Then I woke up and looked at the window. I recongnised the Petronas towers and KL Tower. The sight of towers with flashing lights in distance really assure me that I arrived in Kuala Lumpur safely.

When I was at the cafe somewhere in the night, I could see twin towers lit up like glowing jewels. I went wow. It is very beautiful sight. I can never forgot seeing the flashing lights on the body of KL Tower.

Last edited by JediAlf; March 3rd, 2004 at 04:51 AM.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:55 AM   #129
RafflesCity
By Spirit

Where did you get that 400m figure from?
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:10 AM   #130
JediAlf

Quote:

Where did you get that 400m figure from?
You can tell how high the planes can fly over CBD. Normally the planes fly over CBD is usually 1km or more above sea level.

Just that URA restricted the height due to close promxity of Paya Lebar Airport.

When the planes fly over CBD, enroute to Changi, they have to descend over sea before landing.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:18 AM   #131
RafflesCity
By Spirit

My plane was flying past Marina South. And then along East Coast shoreline and made a big circle south. This was before it started the descent into Changi (over sea as you said).

And the descent (the most beautiful to my eyes is this view, no other city in the world can compare for me)

anyway yes I sure hope the operation of Changi Airbase = closuer of Paya Lebar. The BFC at new downtown is expected earliest 2008/9, so hope they can review its maximum height (which is now 245m)
Old March 3rd, 2004, 05:50 AM   #132
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 3

Very interesting convo here!!

I do have certain reservations about Paya Lebar thou. Notice that due to the long existance of the airport, the area around it has become sort of a "dumping ground" for any thing low rise. There are placinglots of industries round the area, and the flats all around it are basically no more then 20 floors.

Once you reap out the airport, wont we have lots of land which are under-developed?

BTW, Bedok and Jurong East got 30 floor hdb meh??

One good example or how height limits affect a town is Sengkang. In the eastern sides, including N1-N3, every block is no more then 17 floors (except for a few to the extreme west of N3, which are 18). Over in N4, however, amost every block is standing tall, at over 20 floors except for one 16 floor block, with the highest at 26 floors.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:16 AM   #133
JediAlf

Quote:
Originally posted by huaiwei

Very interesting convo here!!

I do have certain reservations about Paya Lebar thou. Notice that due to the long existance of the airport, the area around it has become sort of a "dumping ground" for any thing low rise. There are placinglots of industries round the area, and the flats all around it are basically no more then 20 floors.

Once you reap out the airport, wont we have lots of land which are under-developed?

BTW, Bedok and Jurong East got 30 floor hdb meh??

One good example or how height limits affect a town is Sengkang. In the eastern sides, including N1-N3, every block is no more then 17 floors (except for a few to the extreme west of N3, which are 18). Over in N4, however, amost every block is standing tall, at over 20 floors except for one 16 floor block, with the highest at 26 floors.
Anwering Huawei's question on 30 storeys HDB blocks in Bedok and Jurong East, although HDB has not started any visible construction of 30 storeys blocks there, these areas are not severely restricted in heights. Therefore these areas are potential areas to hold tall HDB blocks. :P

Tengah Air Base is located in Lim Chu Kang area, you can see military planes flying low over HDB blocks in Jurong West extension.

If you are at Lakeside MRT station, you can see the military plane circling over Jurong West town before descending. It is very rare to have planes flying over Jurong East town. This is why JTC HQ at Jurong East can soar to 30 storeys!

As for Bedok, it is very rarely to see planes flying low. Most civilian planes would take the route over sea before landing at Changi. This is why you notice so many tall apartments lining the east coast - like a wall!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:19 AM   #134
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Yeah thats true, although I am curious as to why Tampines and Pasir Ris, in comparison, are very much affected by the height limits?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:27 AM   #135
JediAlf

Quote:

Yeah thats true, although I am curious as to why Tampines and Pasir Ris, in comparison, are very much affected by the height limits?
Because of close promixity of Changi Airport. Although you do not see any planes flying over Pasir Ris and Tampines, these are probably precaution measure. It applies same to Woodlands and Sembawang and Yishun.

Woodlands and Sembawang - due to helicopter bases at Sembawang.

Yishun - due to Seletar airport nearby. You can even see private jets flying over when you are swimming at Yio Chu Kang Swimming Complex!

In case of emergency, the plane can fly low over these areas and land at Changi instead of taking long route over sea.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:34 AM   #136
huaiwei
The Monkey King

I see......just wondering why the area round tampines was so strictly enforced, yet relaxed along the East coast where the planes are much nearer to them!

BTW, did anyone notice there is actually a runway in Sembawang Air Base? It seems like it can support things beyond helicopters...

Old March 3rd, 2004, 06:47 AM   #137
JediAlf

Quote:

I see......just wondering why the area round tampines was so strictly enforced, yet relaxed along the East coast where the planes are much nearer to them!

BTW, did anyone notice there is actually a runway in Sembawang Air Base? It seems like it can support things beyond helicopters...
Bayshore condo at East Coast probably marks where the boundary of tall apartments can be built, ends. There are no visible tall buildings between this Bayshore apartment and Changi Industrial Park.

My guess that CAAS and URA work together to ensure no planes would face any potential obstacles during emergency landings. CAAS probably show the flight paths over Singapore to URA and then URA decides to restrict the heights of buildings within kms away from airports and airbases.

Sembawang Air Base is only for helicopters. Short runway you saw is probably tarmac ground for all helicopters. Or this short runway is for Chinook helicopter with two sets of rotating blades.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 07:05 AM   #138
huaiwei
The Monkey King

There is a possibility the condos along east coast might be extended, since the area there is still underveloped as of now? It will hit a natural barrier anyway when it reaches the border of Bedok Camp.

As for the runway, cant remember the specifics, but I saw it in NDP, and it looks like a full runway or something? No planes fly there, do they?

Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:40 AM   #139
redstone
The Uninspired Architect

Likes (Received): 22

The Parkview Square could have been taller ,if not for a stupid height restriction ,an 'aircraft corridor' for planes landing at the Paya Lebar AB.The Gateway ,S'pore Flyer are all restricted by this.

I think there should be a 400m+ observation tower on a hill somewhere ,maybe on Fort Canning ,Mount Sophia ,Mount Emily or Mount Elizabeth?

The peak of Mount Emily is nothing but a park.Mount Faber is too far from the city area.It'll be an exception ,the only structure above the 280m limit.
redstone no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:50 AM   #140
eyetoeye
deceased

That sounds nice. I wonder what clouds feel like....

I don't know Huaiwei, i certainly don't remember... hmm...

"All I want is a warm bed, a kind word, and unlimited power." - Ashleigh Brilliant
eyetoeye no está en línea   Reply With Quote