daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 7th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #21
zonie

Likes (Received): 0

Is there any system where the card doesn't even need to be placed near the reader? That is, just walk through as if there was no gate there... that would be ideal.
zonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 7th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #22
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18172

Vancouver's Skytrain (cross between light and heavy rail) uses an honour system, so there are no gates. Occasionally you see an enforcement officer check your ticket on the train or at the station.

Toronto's GO commuter trains also use an honour system. There are no gates but passengers need to stamp their tickets on machines available at stations.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #23
coldstar
Tears of Buddha

Likes (Received): 6

Automatic ticket doors were invented by Omron, a electronic company in Kyoto and world-first used in Osaka Subways in 1967.
Since then, I'm sure this kind of automatic wicket is most advanced and convenient for everyone.

As doubleR said, in the stations in Japan, the barriars always stay open but close automatically if you try cheating. The reaction time is less than 0.1 second! So you can easily touch and go through the gates, no need to push down the turnstiles.
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:19 AM   #24
zonie

Likes (Received): 0

Okay, perhaps I was misunderstood.

I meant, is there an existing system (besides honour, of course) where you can walk through the gate without taking any special action at all, and it would automatically check your fare?

As far as I know, even on these "contactless" ones posted so far, the card still has to be placed within close proximity of the reader.
zonie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #25
djm19

Likes (Received): 9

Los Angeles has no gates for some reason. I think they intend to add some though.
djm19 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:50 AM   #26
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

Melbourne only has gates in stations in and near the CBD, they're also ready for the contactless cards, but all tickets are still the typical magnetic stripe cards.

Some suburban stations have gates but there's always one open for the disabled and those with bicycles and other large items and there aren't staff at most of the ticket barriers (or in the stations at all) any more.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:16 PM   #27
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm19 View Post
Los Angeles has no gates for some reason. I think they intend to add some though.
Yes it has no gates but sometimes security have random inspections inside the trains. So whether it has gates or not, better buy a ticket cause the chance of riding the metro without one and getting away with it is 50/50

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #28
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Montreal has just about fully embarked on its third generation of turnstiles. This latest model's cheap, reminding me of the sort that, say, equips travelling fairs -- their advent's coupled to the network's new, botched fare-collection scheme.

The second generation was the best, e.g, its flawless hydraulics, its proper height, etc.

The following shot reveals the first generation, which is my second favourite:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post

BTW (http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=687):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
Faulty turnstiles impede subway traffic

JACK LAKEY/TORONTO STAR
Two turnstiles at the TTC's Finch station have not worked for months.
Dec 10, 2008 04:30 AM
Jack Lakey
Staff Reporter

Broken-down turnstiles are causing rush-hour bottlenecks at the TTC's Finch station.

If there is anything that requires all its components to work smoothly to provide optimal service, it's the subway.

Trains and tracks are at the heart of a system designed to quickly move people across large distances, but small things like doors, escalators and automated equipment must be in good order for it to be efficient during peak periods, when hundreds of thousands of people cram the subway at the same time.

Michael Sheiner emailed to say two turnstiles at the south entrance to the sprawling Finch subway station, at Yonge St. and Finch Ave., have been cordoned off for months. When they're working, the turnstiles accept tokens and Metropasses, which makes it much easier to get in during rush hour by allowing riders to bypass the collector's booth. "You have to either wait in line to see the person in the booth, or use one of the two `token-only' turnstiles that are in working order, which is very inconvenient," he said.

Finch is the north terminus for the Yonge subway line, with buses from York Region's Viva service and GO Transit dropping off riders, as well as the TTC's own buses, making it one of the busiest stations in the system.

All that commuter traffic creates wear and tear on the infrastructure, which is painfully apparent at Finch. When we were there Monday, stairs descending from the northwest corner of Yonge and Finch were littered with trash and narrowed at the bottom by plywood hoarding.

Just a few metres from the out-of-service turnstiles was an area of floor next to a wall that is closed off by barricades. Some floor tiles have been removed within the area, with a bunch of sand bags in the middle of it. We were told it's been that way for six months.

The TTC is trying hard to improve the appearance of stations, which is evident at some, like the downtown Museum station. But there's a long way to go at Finch.

STATUS: A TTC employee working in the collector's booth next to the turnstiles said they haven't been fixed due to a delay in obtaining parts. Danny Nicholson, who deals with media for TTC, is getting back to us with a timeline for repairs.

UPDATE: Our Monday column detailed how The Fixer got a $39.80 wagering voucher from a self-serve betting terminal at a Champions horse racing teletheatre that couldn't be cashed. Jane Holmes, of Woodbine Gaming and Entertainment, called to say it was due to an error by a mutuels clerk, and has since refunded us the money. We'll round it up to $50 and donate it to the Sportsmen's Corner of the Star's Santa Claus fund.

What's broken in your neighbourhood? Wherever you are in Greater Toronto, we want to know. To email us, go to www.thestar.com/thefixer and click on the submit a problem link. Or call us at 416-869-4823.

source: http://www.thestar.com/GTA/Fixer/article/551288

Last edited by trainrover; December 14th, 2008 at 07:24 PM.
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM   #29
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

An article today that Auckland in New Zealand is considering gates in the next few years to minimise fare dodgers. We have a really archaic system at the moment.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10548037

The problem is that we still use a paper-ticket system (told you it was archaic), so that'll need to change I imagine. A smart card system is supposedly going to be introduced in Auckland.... eventually.
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #30
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
An article today that Auckland in New Zealand is considering gates in the next few years to minimise fare dodgers. We have a really archaic system at the moment.

The problem is that we still use a paper-ticket system (told you it was archaic), so that'll need to change I imagine. A smart card system is supposedly going to be introduced in Auckland.... eventually.
Not only are they paper tickets, but we have people who walk up and down the train clipping the tickets too! This on an urban rail system not on an intercity train!

The article from the NZ Herald is a bit rediculous too. They don't consider automatic machines for tickets, which are the norm in most transit networks that I've ever used. That would be a lot better than buying from the window at Britomart. Placing automatic ticket dispensers on trains too would be a good move too if we develop a zonal system for integrated ticketing. Buying tickets from the window at Britomart is an absolute pain as bus tickets for each operator as well as tertiary tickets (one of only two or three places that sell tertiary tickets in the whole city) and train tickets are dispensed from three windows with one window being cash only. Three windows simply isn't enough for those who need to pay their ticket before travelling.

Also, I don't know what "overseas" stations the NZ Herald reporters have been to, but most don't actually have ticket barriers in their main stations, they more exist in metro stations. Of course there are exceptions as most of the London commuter lines have fare gates (I remember when they were first installed in Northampton), however, even the most modern stations up north like Manchester Picadilly didn't have fare gates.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #31
jarbury
Resident Planner

Well it seems obvious that ticket machines would be necessary. Necessary at every station I would imagine, to allow people to get onto the train with a valid ticket. That's a pretty significant cost.

Where would the gates go at Britomart? Right down at the platform level?
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #32
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Sorry guys, we'll take this discussion to the Kiwi boards so as not to clog the thread. Auckland currently has no gates for fare collection.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #33
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post

How easy would it be for Auckland to implement a smartcard? You're not in a Syd/Melb type situation with numerous companies having their hands in the public transport pie are you?

It would be great for NZ to have a country-wide smartcard. Your nation isn't divided up into states with varying laws and Government departments, so it shouldn't be too hard (I guess!).

I can't believe they still punch a hole in the tickets.... that's cute.
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:07 PM   #34
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
How easy would it be for Auckland to implement a smartcard? You're not in a Syd/Melb type situation with numerous companies having their hands in the public transport pie are you?

It would be great for NZ to have a country-wide smartcard. Your nation isn't divided up into states with varying laws and Government departments, so it shouldn't be too hard (I guess!).

I can't believe they still punch a hole in the tickets.... that's cute.
PFFFTTT!

We're in a worse situation than Sydney/Melbourne. At least in Melbourne you have the metcard which all operators have to adhere to. Here we have seperate ticketing systems for all operators to a worse extent than Sydney. Not only that, but private operators have significant power here to dictate to the regional council what routes they want to run and whether or not the routes are "profitable". The legislation is changing however, but it is taking its sweet time. Private operators have much less scope to dictate than they once did thankfully.

Currently, the operators which have different ticketing systems include NZ Bus Limited, Howick & Eastern Bus, Birkenhead Transport, Urban Express, Richies Coach Lines, Fullers Ferries and Veolia Auckland. There are no government/regional council run buses in Auckland, everything is privatised.

No city in NZ thus far has integrated ticketing so I would be highly sceptical as to whether or not a countrywide smart card could ever be put into practice. Auckland and Wellington have some degree of chance as NZ Bus operates in both cities, but beyond that, nah.
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM   #35
jarbury
Resident Planner

The legislation has changed, however its effects will take a while to filter through as existing contracts come up for renewing. Integrated ticketing with existing technology is due by the end of next year, and a smart-card system for Auckland should be implemented before 2011. I have my doubts though.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:55 PM   #36
adrimm

Likes (Received): 2

This isn't a metro - but it has standard fare-turnstiles. You pass the card over the reader (don't have to insert it). Personally I'm amazed at "honour" fare systems like Vancouver's - I know alot of people who get away with riding free and never seem to be caught by the fare checkers.

(Entrance/Exit of BRT station)

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by adrimm; December 16th, 2008 at 05:47 AM.
adrimm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 12:13 AM   #37
jarbury
Resident Planner

That's the same situation as most smart-card systems. London's Oyster card is a classic example of where you don't need to insert it, just place it near the sensor.
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:33 AM   #38
kegan

Likes (Received): 2

The Wellington Cable Car in NZ has automatic fare gates at the Lambton Quay (city) station. Single and return tickets are read by bar code scanners, multi-trip are stored on swipe cards (no smartcards yet unfortunately).
kegan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:47 AM   #39
japanese001

Likes (Received): 708

Floor generation

日本は床発電で自動改札を動かす実験を行っています。
振動によりエネルギーを生み出します。

Last edited by japanese001; December 16th, 2008 at 05:03 AM.
japanese001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 04:56 AM   #40
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 3171

Fare gate used in KTM Komuter station along Rawang - Ipoh line, Malaysia

Made by OMRON, Japan

TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote