daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 16th, 2008, 05:49 AM   #41
adrimm

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbury View Post
That's the same situation as most smart-card systems. London's Oyster card is a classic example of where you don't need to insert it, just place it near the sensor.
It's great.. I never realised how many ways there can be to insert or swipe a card the wrong way until I used 3, (maybe 5 with buses) different systems in 10 days.

Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:32 AM   #42
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanese001 View Post
日本は床発電で自動改札を動かす実験を行っています。
振動によりエネルギーを生み出します。
How does that work?
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #43
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

I'm not an electrical engineer, but it operates on piezoelectricity... The vibrations from passengers as they walk on top of these special floor sections generates electricity.

It's only in experimental stage and is currently being tested at Yaesu Exit of Tokyo Station and on a set of stairs inside the station. If they get it to work they would eventually use it to power faregates, electronic signs, etc.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #44
TWK90
Infrastructure

Likes (Received): 3171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
How does that work?
http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...081204/162357/
TWK90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #45
jarbury
Resident Planner

Likes (Received): 24

That's great, but how does it tell if you have the right ticket or not?
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #46
quashlo

Likes (Received): 3215

It doesn't. I guess it wasn't all that clear, but it has absolutely nothing to do with fare collection and is not an attempt to have a completely smooth, contactless fare system. It's just an experiment in generating electricity.

The faregates are just like everywhere else... They accept paper tickets and have IC card readers for Suica / Pasmo cards (the equivalent of Oyster, Octopus, etc.). Some gates are equipped only to handle IC card.
quashlo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:53 AM   #47
invincible
Lurker

Likes (Received): 523

I was impressed at how you could essentially insert a ticket in any orientation into the machine and still have it come out the right way. And also how the ticket machines can read multiple tickets at once is pretty amazing. It really does not click when you're transferring from a JR line to the Shinkansen that you are meant to insert 3 tickets all at the same time.
invincible no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #48
ARailSystemsEngineer

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonie View Post
Okay, perhaps I was misunderstood.

I meant, is there an existing system (besides honour, of course) where you can walk through the gate without taking any special action at all, and it would automatically check your fare?

As far as I know, even on these "contactless" ones posted so far, the card still has to be placed within close proximity of the reader.
It is deliberate to force the passenger to touch the ticket near to the reader, so that the tickets are not inadvertently debited as people walk near to but not through the fare gates - and also in case people have a spare ticket in their pocket.

Generally, if there are two or more similar standard tickets in the same wallet when the wallet is tapped to the card reader, the card reader will fail to read either card (again, to stop deducting two fares for the same journey); this is the case even if one of the fare cards is clearly not valid (e,g. Taipei Easycard and HK Octopus together in the same wallet, BTS and BMCL smart cards in the same wallet in Bangkok...

The ERP road pricing in Singapore does not need any action by the motorist as he passes under the fare gate gantry - just so long as his ERP card is in the reader... And the gantries seem to be able to discriminate between traffic passing under (through) the gantry and passing parallel across it only a fewe metres away. .

Rse
ARailSystemsEngineer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #49
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6993

Bringing this thread up with few new pics of UT-2009 turnstiles in Moscow Metro. Mainly installed on Serpukhovsky radius.

Taken by KVentz @mymetro.ru

http://forum.mymetro.ru/blogs/kventz...showentry=2499

Old October 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #50
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

This month the OV Chipkaart (Public Transportation Chipcard) is officialy in use. It will be used for all public transportation. You can still travel with other cards in the bus and train or tram but in the Amsterdam and Rotterdam metro you already have to use this OV Chipkaart. Some trainstations in the Netherlands will get gates others will get poles to check in or out, all the metrostations in Rotterdam and Amsterdam have gates right now. Busses and other public transportation will get small automatics inside to check in or out. This is how they look like;

(Some) Trainstations & metrostations;

Busses and trams;

Trainstations that don't have gates;
image hosted on flickr
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:02 PM   #51
MKA123

Oslo

This is how the ticket gates in the Oslo metro looks like:

Source: Aftenposten (http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ir...cle4196647.ece)

Unfortunately, the gates are not fully in use at the moment (they only serve as card readers; it's possible to pass them without validating the travel card). Hopefully the gates will be used fully when all the tickets are electronic (on smart cards) at some point next year. But since they've been standing more or less unused at the stations since 2005, and Ruter is "uncertain" about whether they're going to use them or not, I have my doubts...

And here's how the card readers looks like (they are located at most of the metro stations (apart from 9 stations in the city centre, were the gates in the above image is located), trams and buses in Oslo):

Source: Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi..._validator.jpg)

Last edited by MKA123; November 23rd, 2011 at 01:09 PM.
MKA123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM   #52
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Vancouver's Skytrain (cross between light and heavy rail) uses an honour system, so there are no gates. Occasionally you see an enforcement officer check your ticket on the train or at the station.

Toronto's GO commuter trains also use an honour system. There are no gates but passengers need to stamp their tickets on machines available at stations.
The "Honour" system is also the norm in Germany and Switzerland. The new Metro at Lausanne has platform doors, but no fare gates. Probably one of a kind...
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #53
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Stockholm uses the same kind of gates as Oslo, I'll take a picture at some point. We have wider gates for disabled people and people with luggage.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2011, 09:37 PM   #54
Minato ku

Paris metro
All the gate take the Navigo contactless smart card and usually several gates are only reserved to smart card (they don't take ticket).
In some RER station the majority of the gate only take contactless smart card.

Our gates often give a good impression of welcoming.
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #55
mopc

Likes (Received): 11945

Sao Paulo revolving turnstiles

and new glass barriers

About 85% of the system is the old metal revolving type. They will all be replaced with glass gates in the next few years, or so they say.

All turnstyles accept both magnetic tickets (rarely used) and the contactless universal smartcard, also used for buses.
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 04:55 AM   #56
karejeeta
tommy569

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_ View Post
The "Honour" system is also the norm in Germany and Switzerland. The new Metro at Lausanne has platform doors, but no fare gates. Probably one of a kind...
where in germany? In berlin for boarding a bus, you have to show your ticket. In Poland almost every city, it is an honour system for bus, tram and train.
karejeeta no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM   #57
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Putting gates on heavy-trafficked systems like subways make sense. They make fare dodging more obvious and reduce the need for manpower (conductors). After all, a greater number of people is willing to just not buy a ticket and pray the conductor never comes than jump a turnstile.
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #58
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

We really need a smart card/IC card system in the Philippines as well.......to reduce massive overcrowding when buying tickets (especially at interchange stations).

How long do we have to wait for that?

P.S.
Questions though:

For something like this:

image hosted on flickr

Since there are no gates or barriers, how can it be verified if the user tapped his card? How can it be made sure that the customer has properly paid for his/her journey? Or is there also some sort of "honour/honesty" system in place for something like that?

Also:
For the UK:
Are there are any proposals to increase the maximum limit for Oyster cards? (current limit is GBP 90). I was just wondering because it seems that 90 british pounds seems to little considering the price range of each trip.

Hence, why I thought that, unless you're using Travelcards on your Oyster Card (i.e. those things that you purchase to give you unlimited rides/usage on a given fixed time-period), a maximum of GBP 90 is too little imho.

*Considering that Oyster card (of any card that uses the Philips MIFARE system) is capable of storing as much as 10,000 units of currency (i.e. Taipei Easycard)

Just a thought

Last edited by Blackraven; November 26th, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:17 AM   #59
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Does anyone notice a pattern here?

In East Asia, the fare gates won't block a serious fare dodger.
In the US, London, and Paris, the fare gates are large enough to block fare dodgers.
In Germanic countries, there's no gate at all.

Maybe it reflects social norms around the world.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #60
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Since there are no gates or barriers, how can it be verified if the user tapped his card? How can it be made sure that the customer has properly paid for his/her journey? Or is there also some sort of "honour/honesty" system in place for something like that?
In Netherlands, the reader machines can be installed in many ways:

(1) as part of a gate-controlled access/exit

(2) as part of a visual check-in/out system in a vehicle (validations make the machine emit a characteristic beep and green light, errors/invalid card emit other sound and red light)

(3) proof-of-payment self check-in/out

In case of the latter, conductors have portable readers that can check the status of your card!