daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 8th, 2012, 01:43 PM   #81
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

The word "stamping" send me shrives. It is like I read something like "the check-in attendant in Schiphol WROTE on a letterhead paper boarding pass" or "the secretary started stroking the typewriter".

You can have a system without barriers, but it can't be worth of 21st century it use a 19th century technology (ink mechanical stamps) instead of RFID cards you just touch and go - which you can have regardless of gates. Anything that is not electronic in user interface should be modernized in transit: destination displays, clocks, schedule screens, travel information screens, anything. Paper and ink must be eradicated from transit systems.

Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #82
K_

Likes (Received): 243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The word "stamping" send me shrives. It is like I read something like "the check-in attendant in Schiphol WROTE on a letterhead paper boarding pass" or "the secretary started stroking the typewriter".

You can have a system without barriers, but it can't be worth of 21st century it use a 19th century technology (ink mechanical stamps) instead of RFID cards you just touch and go - which you can have regardless of gates. Anything that is not electronic in user interface should be modernized in transit: destination displays, clocks, schedule screens, travel information screens, anything. Paper and ink must be eradicated from transit systems.
Why?

The big advantage of the old fashioned paper and ink system is that the passenger can easily check himself that everything is OK. That is essential in a honor system, as in such a system it's the passengers' responsability to make sure he/she has the right ticket.
With RFID how can I check once I'm in the vehicle that my card has been charged correctly?

Modernety just for its own sake is pointless.
K_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #83
MKA123

Likes (Received): 0

Stockholm

Here are some pictures of the ticket gates in the Stocholm metro and commuter rail:

(the gates in the picture above are under construction)

MKA123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #84
cjb287

Likes (Received): 50

Melbourne's system. It's called "Myki"

Most stations don't have gates but standalone scanners:
image hosted on flickr

Photo by Luke Hammond

Busier stations have gates:
image hosted on flickr

Photo by avlxyz

All train stations have the vending machines but so do select tram stops and bus interchanges:

image hosted on flickr

Photo by PTUA
cjb287 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #85
MKA123

SL in Stockholm are now working on making their gates "one-direction-only", in aim of reduce "collisions" in the gates: http://sl.se/sv/Om-SL/Nyheter/Enkelriktning-i-sparren/ (in Swedish)

Old June 17th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #86
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKA123 View Post
SL in Stockholm are now working on making their gates "one-direction-only", in aim of reduce "collisions" in the gates

Haha how could they not have seen that coming?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #87
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
Haha how could they not have seen that coming?
To be honest I think it's stupid. Actually collisions were few and far between except at the largest stations and so instigating this across the whole system was such a stupid move. Now there are stations that only receive people occasionally where you have to walk to the end of the fare gate bank to get through even when the gates aren't in use by anyone else when before you could just go to any gate.

E.g my local station has 5 fare gates (3 normal gates, 1 disabled gate and one conductor operated gate for those that need to be stamped through). Two gates are now one way, the disabled gate is still both ways and the final gate is the other direction. Needless for a station right at the end of the line 20+km from T-Centralen.
Svartmetall está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #88
micro

Likes (Received): 106

I guess the reason to do this is to make sure people from either direction can always pass. When gates are bidirectional, it can happen that a bunch of people comes from one side (especially after a train has arrived) and all the gates are blocked for people coming the other way.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:21 AM   #89
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
I guess the reason to do this is to make sure people from either direction can always pass. When gates are bidirectional, it can happen that a bunch of people comes from one side (especially after a train has arrived) and all the gates are blocked for people coming the other way.
The reasoning works at large stations, but not at small stations where collisions are rare. I agree they should have done this at the inner city stations ages ago, but when it comes to suburbs, I just get annoyed having to try to get through to a gate that I can use.
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:39 AM   #90
micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
when it comes to suburbs, I just get annoyed having to try to get through to a gate that I can use.
I the photo they seem clearly marked...
Old June 18th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #91
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
I the photo they seem clearly marked...
I guess you should come here and use them. It's not about marking, it's about not being able to walk up to the first gate you find and having to walk along the gate bank (across other passengers if a train has just arrived) and go through the one barrier available to you that you are allowed to use. As in Stockholm you don't have to swipe out through the barrier those leaving the station can do so quickly. Those entering have a bit more trouble. I think if you ask people here (as I am not the only one complaining about this) they'll generally find it an inconvenience rather than feeling that they've made it more efficient.

I have used other systems (such as the London Underground) where they have clearly delineated areas where one can enter and leave, however, these gate banks tend to be much larger than one sees on the tunnelbana. It works well if you have lots of gates, it doesn't work if you only have 3 and you've closed off two of them to one particular direction.
Old June 18th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #92
micro

Okay, I had London in mind...
Old June 18th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #93
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 452

Here in Sapporo during off-peak hours the gates are bi-directional, whoever gets to the gate first has the right of way- sometimes leads to competitive races During peak periods the gates are set to be majority uni-directional, based on the predominant passenger flow.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #94
Minato ku

Paris

New fare gates

Blackraven liked this post
Minato ku no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 11:52 PM   #95
MKA123

I like those "new" Paris fare gates (obviously, they're at least one year old now, but still rather new). I like the design. They may look a bit "weak", but I suppose they aren't in reality. How many different fare gates systems are used in Paris Metro today?
Old April 1st, 2014, 01:45 AM   #96
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Does the Paris Navigo offer e-purse travel yet?
Old April 1st, 2014, 02:25 AM   #97
Minato ku

No, it is still for subscription (weekly, monthly or annual) only.
The e-purse travel is planned (since a long time) but we don't have any date of when it will be put into service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKA123 View Post
How many different fare gates systems are used in Paris Metro today?
There are many different model of fare gates in the Parisian transit system.
I don't know.
Old April 4th, 2014, 03:39 AM   #98
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11250

All right... finally, I took a good photo of San Francisco Muni Metro's automated fare gates. To use the gate:

- Cash payment: head to a ticket machine and select from either a one-way ($2) or round-trip ($4) ticket. Transfers are valid for 90 minutes from first use, in any direction. Tap ticket onto the circular area, wait for "valid" beep sound, and enter the system.

- Clipper: just tap the Clipper card on the circular area, wait for "valid" beep sound, and enter the system.

- Transfer tickets or day passes: present valid transfer ticket or day pass to attendant on duty, and the attendant will open the gate for you. If possessing either a one-way or round-trip ticket, or Clipper, tap on the circular area to validate transfer.

To exit the system, just walk through the fare gate, and it will open for you. No need to tap again since Muni allows one-way tagging (tag on only).

Picture below taken from Forest Hill Muni Metro station.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote