daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: CN Tower (not skydeck) views vs. Sears Tower views
CN Tower 15 41.67%
Sears Tower 21 58.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 5th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #21
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh
Isn't CN tower taller than Sears Tower? I thought the height of CN tower was 553m. Correct me if I am wrong.

^The listed height of the CN Tower there is the lower observation deck. There is an observatory even higher than that.

Sponsored Links
Old September 5th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #22
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

caps button broken here.

sears.....1353 ft to level 103 observatory

cn.........1122 ft to outdoor observatory/glass floor
1136 ft to main/indoor observatory
1150 ft to revolving restaurant
1465 ft to skypod observatory

side note......sears 1431 ft to top mechanical floor 108, 1450 ft to roof, 1771 ft to antenna.

cn....1500 ft to top of concrete pour or roof of skypod, 1815 ft to antenna.

cn is primarily an observation tower with glass elevators and lots of amenities in it. sears has an observatory in an office building.

both views are great but different. i like sears for its dynamic view of the chicago skyline and cn for its closeness to the lake with downtown offset to the other side.

you want ripoff then go to space needle in seattle which has a nice view but is small up at the observatory with less than half or one third the height. go check out their prices. now that is a ripoff.

as per value of cn vs sears i feel both are great but cn has the amenities and you can enjoy the building more. as per costs...i will leave it to each one to decide.

btw....i have been on both several times.
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 10:21 PM   #23
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I prefer the John Hancock observatory myself to the Sears Tower. It gives a better view of LSD.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:02 AM   #24
Grey Towers

Likes (Received): 45

As a Torontonian, I feel CN is an absolute ripoff. It's approximately $20/adult for a bloody elevator ride, nothing more! And that's just to the main observation deck (350 m). Another $5+ to go to the skypod (450 m), which is not worth it.
There is the preferable option of reserving seats at the revolving restaurant (360), in which case the $20 is incorporated in the cost of the meal. That's no deal though, because, although the restaurant is nice and the food very good, it is also very pricey.

I remember a mere 10-15 years ago the tower entry fee being about $8 or $9 for adults, half that for children.
Last time I ate at the restaurant about 6 weeks ago, I asked the elevator attendant why the price had risen so much. She said the tower has been under government ownership for several years, whereas before it was privately owned. Funny, if anything, usually private ownership leads to higher costs, not the reverse.

I don't recommend the tower as tourist attraction at these prices, unless you have money to burn. The view is spectacular, but that's all you're getting for your $20 per.
Grey Towers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2005, 04:07 AM   #25
luv2bebrown

Likes (Received): 109

as a skyscraper fanatic, the view from the CN skypod is amazing and worth the price.
luv2bebrown no está en línea   Reply With Quote