daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2009, 05:15 PM   #241
peezet

Likes (Received): 17

A59 exit near Rosmalen the Netherlands

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=51....7&lvl=18&sty=a
peezet no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #242
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by peezet View Post
A59 exit near Rosmalen the Netherlands

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=51....7&lvl=18&sty=a
is that reddish outer ring a bike path?
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #243
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

does anyone know why Dutch roundabouts usually have just one lane?
It seems to be a preference, even with roundabouts linking multi-lane roads, to sometimes have only one lane.
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #244
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
is that reddish outer ring a bike path?
Yes it is. Most Dutch bike paths are painted in red, although there are also bike paths that are just the color of asphalt or concrete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
does anyone know why Dutch roundabouts usually have just one lane?
It seems to be a preference, even with roundabouts linking multi-lane roads, to sometimes have only one lane.
I think it's mostly a safety thing. The Dutch policy makers tend to have some kind of traffic safety phobia beyond reasonable levels, so multilane roundabouts are rare. However, recently more and more turbo roundabouts are constructed. They have two lanes, but are physically separated from each other by a small and low barrier (you can drive across it in case of an emergency, but I wouldn't recommend it).

Another annoying issue is that formerly unregulated intersections are now being reconstructed into roundabouts. This is especially annoying on provincial roads with a speed limit of 80 km/h, on some roads you can't drive more than 2 km without having to slow down for another roundabout. And Dutch provincial roads tend to be quite busy, especially in the central and western parts of the Netherlands, 1x2 roads with an AADT up to 20,000 are not uncommon.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #245
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Another annoying issue is that formerly unregulated intersections are now being reconstructed into roundabouts. This is especially annoying on provincial roads with a speed limit of 80 km/h, on some roads you can't drive more than 2 km without having to slow down for another roundabout. And Dutch provincial roads tend to be quite busy, especially in the central and western parts of the Netherlands, 1x2 roads with an AADT up to 20,000 are not uncommon.
Sounds like South-East England then!
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #246
kphoger

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, we can eliminate all traffic lights and install roundabouts.
I disagree as well. As much as I dislike stoplights, they serve well in many situations. Of course, a grade-separated interchange would be best everywhere, but that would be crazy at most major intersections due to so many factors: money, aesthetics, space constraints, business access, you name it. Some of those factors are true for roundabouts as well: space constraints and business access. And, as has been mentioned, the timing of a system of stoplights can be strategically timed.

However. Having said all that, I do believe they could see far greater use than what there currently is in the U.S. I firmly believe that all four-way stops should be eliminated, replacing each with either a two-way stop or roundabout. As well, I'd say all five-way stoplights should be eliminated and each either replaced with a multi-lane roundabout or reconfigured to include a four-way stoplight and a three-leg roundabout. Most low-volume diamond interchanges and their variants could have roundabouts at their points, thereby eliminating the future need to install stoplights.

So, yeah, the whirpool of life maybe. But I love whirlpools. I wish I had one in my back yard. (a whirlpool, not a roundabout)
kphoger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #247
Xpressway
Experto

Likes (Received): 4043

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdly_dood View Post
On another note, here is a roundabout in Spain (Madrid i think) that entirely defeat the purpose of a roundabout. (Do other countries murder their roundabouts this way, or is it only Spain?)
In Santiago, Chile, the roundabout Perez Zujovich is killed at rush hour, there's so much traffic that the roundabout turned into a traffic chaos and traffic lights that are turned on only at rush hour were placed at the entrance of some streets/avenues that join the roundabout, so we have a roundabout with traffic lights.

The roundabout will be demolished soon and a complex interchange will be built.

Pic of the Perez Zujovich roundabout, red circles are locations of the traffic lights
[IMG]http://i47.************/5xvhp2.jpg[/IMG]
"Prices are important not because money is considered paramount but because prices are a fast and effective conveyor of information through a vast society in which fragmented knowledge must be coordinated."

Thomas Sowell

Last edited by Xpressway; December 16th, 2009 at 03:02 AM.
Xpressway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:40 PM   #248
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19383

Crazy unmarked roundabout in Paris:
[IMG]http://i42.************/2wdo5uf.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:29 PM   #249
ea1969
R21

Likes (Received): 181

You don't have to look too much around Paris in order to find a crazy roundabout. You just need to look at the Arc de Triomphe (or Place Charles de Gaulle to be more precise)!
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:34 PM   #250
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea1969 View Post

You don't have to look too much around Paris in order to find a crazy roundabout. You just need to look at the Arc de Triomphe (or Place Charles de Gaulle to be more precise)!
Yes, but we all know this place, although I've never seen or heard about the roundabout posted by Chris.

Last edited by piotr71; April 22nd, 2010 at 11:55 PM.
piotr71 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:24 PM   #251
Minato ku

Paris is full of those crazy roundabouts.
Some other exemples

Porte Maillot

Porte de la Villlette

Place de la Bastille
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:35 PM   #252
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

At least it's impossible to fail your driver's licence exam by choosing the wrong lane for exiting the roundabout

Here's a crazy roundabout from Tallinn. The scheme is from a roundabout-book for those trying to get their license: http://www.liikluskoolitus.ee/intern...0pZ3q6IKGC.pdf
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:11 AM   #253
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

I'm quite struck about the crazy roundabouts in Paris too. They are huge (in terms of the amount of tarmac) with respect to road widths, but there's no attempt to instill any sort of lane discipline at all. IMO Priorite a droit (sorry for the lack of accents) doesn't make sense either as this easily creates a gridlock.

The roundabout from Tallinn isn't at all crazy to be honest - it's quite easy to choose your lane and the roundabout is well designed.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:58 AM   #254
riiga

Likes (Received): 126

Here's an exemple from Sweden, on the topic of overusing roundabouts:

Just a few years ago, five of those intersections weren't roundabouts, and three didn't exist at all. Nevertheless, I quite like roundabouts.
riiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 01:37 AM   #255
Di-brazil
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

in brazil :

Small:

Di-brazil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 06:48 AM   #256
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

We have a few here in Kamloops. The one up at Thompson Rivers University was the first to be built. It has a shape kinda resembling a flat tyre... All are single lane and drivers entering the roundabout MUST give way to drivers already in it.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM   #257
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanford View Post
Here in Boston.. we call them rotaries. Are they called roundabouts everywhere else?

In any case.. I like them a lot although we 'M*******' drivers sometimes forget rotary etiquette (for example.. entering the rotary without looking at 40 mph? an all too common sight)
I grew up in New Jersey and have always called them "traffic circles." If they have a proper name it's usually something like "Somerville Circle." I think of "rotary" as the Massachusetts term.

That said, I don't like them, OR four-way stops. In both cases, too many people don't know what to do. New Jersey, for several years, has been gradually eliminating them, or modifying the busiest ones with overpasses and the like.
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:34 PM   #258
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Lots of people are saying that drivers in the US don't know how to use them, don't you learn that in your driving test?
In much of the country, they're rare, if not non-existent. Even if every state tests on them (and driver testing and licensing is handled by the states), you might pass the test and then never come across one for years....
Old April 23rd, 2010, 05:47 PM   #259
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Dupont Circle in Washington:

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=38.909753,-77.043664&amp;spn=0.004942,0.00825&amp;t=h&amp;z=17&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;ll=38.909753,-77.043664&amp;spn=0.004942,0.00825&amp;t=h&amp;z=17&amp;source=embed" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Unless you're following Connecticut Avenue - in which case there are pedestrian crossings that let you go straight through the circle - it can take ten minutes to get around it on foot. I'm not exaggerating. The traffic lights seem to be timed so that you stop twice at each intersection (once for traffic leaving the circle for that street and then again for traffic entering from that street, with a little island in between...the two lights at each intersection are not coordinated with each other). Love the neighborhood, will go out of my way to avoid the circle....

Edited to add, okay, so how do we get a Google Maps image into a post?
Here's a link to what I was talking about. Assuming it works. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...00825&t=h&z=17
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:27 PM   #260
iMiros

Likes (Received): 1

Lome roundabout

[IMG]http://i43.************/ic4l4z.jpg[/IMG]

Ndjamena roundabout

[IMG]http://i42.************/f3es5d.jpg[/IMG]

I think the biggest one in Africa, Ouagadougou roundabout

[IMG]http://i44.************/261gbyt.jpg[/IMG]

Ouagadougou small roundabouts

[IMG]http://i44.************/23tfo5d.jpg[/IMG]