daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:09 PM   #261
nbk

Likes (Received): 63

[QUOTE=Di-brazil;55696385]
This is the most beautiful roundabout I've seen!
nbk no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #262
nbk

Likes (Received): 63

Here are some roundabouts in Bucharest (Romania):

Alba Iulia square

Bucur Obor square

Charles De Gaulle square

and Free Press sqaure

nbk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #263
Scion

Likes (Received): 4653

A roundabout that sits on very expensive prime real estate land

Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:30 PM   #264
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1779

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scion View Post
A roundabout that sits on very expensive prime real estate land

I think this roundabout needs to be shifted and enlarged slightly to make it concentric with the pedestrian overpass. It'd fit better with the roads that way as well.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #265
Mighty Maussie

Likes (Received): 0

The lunacy in my hometown Leeuwarden (appr 90.000 people):

Every red dot is a roundabout, the two larger ones in the NW and NE could be traffic circles though, but all together I count 50 of them (there could well be more), and one question mark, of which I'm not sure if it counts as one, as it is more a square-about, the Drachtsterplein (Drachten Square):

image hosted on flickr

On mini roundabouts in the Netherlands bicycles have right of way, which pretty much cancels the reason of their existence, which is better traffic flow.
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:41 PM   #266
Haljackey

Likes (Received): 107

London, Ontario is building it's first roundabout. It's going on a rail overpass.

Bout time! We share the same name as the city in the UK but our road intersections are not the same.
Haljackey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2010, 10:59 PM   #267
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Maussie View Post

On mini roundabouts in the Netherlands bicycles have right of way, which pretty much cancels the reason of their existence, which is better traffic flow.
It is really hard to get used to bicycles' priority on these mini roundabouts for someone who comes from a country where bicycles are not so common. When I first tried to leave one of those roundabouts, my passenger almost crashed the windscreen with his head, when I started braking before a biker passing through my exit. He (biker) even didn't care to look at me, just had gone away.

By the way, Frisian name of your town is pretty similar to Wymysiöeryś name of my place of birth, which is Łiwert.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 04:50 AM   #268
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Wait, so you don't have priority over cyclists when you're on the roundabout and they're coming from an entry point?
That's an odd rule... It would basically scrap the most important rule of roundabouts: keep the traffic on the roundabout flowing.

Either way: there's definitely too many roundabouts in Leeuwarden indeed. I can't believe they're all located on places where they're needed.

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:03 AM   #269
I(L)WTC
Cono Sur ♥

Likes (Received): 8763

Buenos Aires
(9 de julio Ave. and Corrientes Ave.)

GRIDO Emblema de la decada ganada

I(L)WTC liked this post
I(L)WTC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:53 AM   #270
brewerfan386

Likes (Received): 158

A planned roundabout from somewhere in Wisconsin.

brewerfan386 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #271
Mighty Maussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Wait, so you don't have priority over cyclists when you're on the roundabout and they're coming from an entry point?
That's an odd rule... It would basically scrap the most important rule of roundabouts: keep the traffic on the roundabout flowing.
Well, here's a typical example of a mini roundabout:

The red path is the designated cyclist path, now note the markings on the road service for cars exiting the roundabout
Old April 25th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #272
Fender56

Likes (Received): 528

The only kind of roundabouts i like, are these.:

Old April 25th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #273
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Maussie View Post
The red path is the designated cyclist path, now note the markings on the road service for cars exiting the roundabout
Ooh, in that way... That's normal to me. Over here in Belgium they usually don't even provide the room for one car to wait for cyclists to cross without blocking the whole roundabout

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #274
piotr71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Ooh, in that way... That's normal to me. Over here in Belgium they usually don't even provide the room for one car to wait for cyclists to cross without blocking the whole roundabout

Greetings,
Glodenox
I meant this one. Roundabout in Harderwijk. As we can see (I don't know why the quality is so poor) there is red marked-outside circle within the roundabout, purposed to be used by cyclist giving them priority all the way around. I do believe and am not surprised it's nothing unusual, for you Dutch and Belgians, in this type of roundabouts, tailored mainly for cyclists but it's for me and might be for some others as well.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...05681&t=k&z=18
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19406

There are two-types of roundabouts involving cyclists.

1. cycle lanes directly on the roundabout = cyclists always have priority
2. cycle lanes separated from the roundabout = cyclists often have priority, but not in the 3 northern provinces of the Netherlands.

The first type is usually built when there is no sufficient space for separate bicycle lanes, for example on roundabouts in inner city areas. The second type is usually present in suburban and rural areas. Studies have shown that roundabouts of type 2 with cyclists out of priority tend to be safer.

There are two problems with roundabouts in the Netherlands;
1) they are often designed at minimum design standards (R=18) while in rural areas at provincial highways, a higher speed roundabout (40 km/h instead of 25 km/h) could mean no harm, but increases driving comfort, while not reducing safety.
2) they are more expensive than traffic lights. For about € 200,000 you'll have a set of traffic lights for a medium-sized intersection. A roundabout is closer to € 500,000 for a small one and larger ones (turbo-roundabouts) are often in the € 1 million - 2 million range.

Turbo roundabouts require a far larger right-of-way acquirement and have triple the material cost, and also take more labor hours to construct, hence its 2 - 4 times higher cost compared to a small roundabout.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; April 25th, 2010 at 04:42 PM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #276
Morjo

Likes (Received): 49

I remember reading somewhere that roundabouts were safer than traffic light intersections, as you travel through a roundabout slower and are usually more cautious on the approach to one. With traffic lights some motorists speed up to try to beat the red light, and end up in some cases with a nasty head on or t bone incident.

I love most roundabouts, as I hate waiting at traffic lights, it's such a waste of time. Though in heavy traffic roundabouts can be a pain, but that's usually thanks to timid motorists holding up the traffic behind.

There are a few bad roundabouts in Melbourne though, like ones with tram lines running through the centre, which is hazardous, as you have to stop in the middle of the roundabout usually if a tram comes through. There are also a few roundabouts with zebra pedestrian crossings, which is annoying, because you finally get a clear entry into the roundabout, and then all of a sudden a pedestrian crosses and stuffs everything up.

Last edited by Morjo; April 25th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:57 PM   #277
El Tiburon

Likes (Received): 314

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritown View Post
Where I live, roundabouts are replacing four-way stops all over the place. I find them to be more efficient and less dangerous than four-way stops, especially if it is well-planned and the drivers know what they are doing (which is unfortunately too often not the case)

What do you guys think about roundabouts over four way stops, or even traffic signals?
Roundabouts are fine when the intersection is initially designed and built for a roundabout. The problem come with the stupid "traffic calming" craze where small roundabouts are being retrofitted into every intersection to obstruct and slow down traffic by politicians trying to get votes from neighbors in the area and kickbacks from roundabout builders.

I've seen roundabouts with 4-way stop signs (why build them in the first place except to steer business to a friend who builds roundabouts?!). Other roundabouts have yield signs. Technically, a roundabout is a traffic control device in and by itself which requires drivers to yield to other drivers already circling around, but most people don't know this and they either jump in without yielding or, once in the circle, they stop at every entrance to let others into the circle.

I would use traffic circles where three or more roads itersect, but not in regular right-angle, two-road intersections.
El Tiburon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM   #278
Maxx☢Power
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Won't a roundabout without yield signs give priority to traffic entering it, i.e. traffic coming from the right (where this basic rule is used)?
Maxx☢Power no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #279
Mighty Maussie

It should, by standard traffic rules, but I've personally never seen one without any signs. Usually it's the traffic on the roundabout that has right of way.
Old April 26th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #280
scotdaliney

Likes (Received): 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx☢Power View Post
Won't a roundabout without yield signs give priority to traffic entering it, i.e. traffic coming from the right (where this basic rule is used)?
Australian roundabouts never have any sign except the roundabout signs.
First a yellow sign than shows the lanes to use.
Then the actual roundabout sign.
On the road we have painted arrows and dashed line where you are to yeild if needed. Obviously we have lane markings through the roundabout.
The roundabout sign is the yield sign. They're even the same shape and colour. (Red and white triangle.)
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&so...48.16,,0,-2.01
scotdaliney no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas