daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM   #301
polkos

Likes (Received): 13

^ Here in Poland we have totally opposite situation. The car on the left must yield to the car on the right when exiting the roundabout.
polkos no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:41 PM   #302
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotdaliney View Post
why on earth would you design it so you can go all the way round in either lane. You have just made one of the safest intersections one of the most dangerous.
I have NO idea why, or HOW the Alberta Government came up with that nonsense for navigating a multi-lane traffic circle.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:52 PM   #303
link_road_17/7

Location: Milton Keynes - Britain's Most Successful Business City
Likes (Received): 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
We don't have Zebras on junctions in the UK. Unless there's a red light, pedestrians have no power, whatsoever.
You do however, owe other road users (such as pedestrians) a duty of care.

ITYF the Highway Code states:

Quote:
Give way to anyone still crossing after the signal for vehicles has changed to green. This advice applies to all crossings.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:34 PM   #304
Gareth
Keltlandia

Likes (Received): 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr71 View Post
If we can consider this place as a junction and zebra crossing as a part of it, I would say: yes, you have.

Regardless of traffic rules, I have never seen a driver who wouldn't stop before zebra seeing a pedestrian waiting by the crossing, in particular before that one with yellow bulbs. I mean driver in Britain, of course. However it's more matter of politeness than any rule.
Zebra crossings here are much less common and are officially a midblock crossing and not to be used at junctions. In the rest of Europe though, for example, they are standard to all junctions. As link_road_17/7 says, you are, in theory, supposed to look out for pedestrians, particularly when turning, but in practice, the pedestrian has to give way to the vehicle or die.
Gareth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #305
RKC

Likes (Received): 28

this one's interesting, sorry it's a bit huge

http://www.delmagyar.hu/forum-kepek/215/B2145306.jpg
RKC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #306
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19400

How about the ultra-turbo roundabout? It has up to six lanes divided over 3 roadways.

[IMG]http://i43.************/20z8l5h.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:15 PM   #307
Morjo

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
yes, allthough i must say we are still "learning" to do that, and if you look at pedestrians they still are very carefull before crossing because the old practice was not to yield to pedestrians (on the other hand, some make a protest of this and step in front of vehicles regardless of the situation). Also it is normal to drive about 70 km/h on a 50 km/h road which makes it hard to notice and stop for people crossing, plus it's dangerous because there's a chance of getting rammed by the car behind you. Another factor is older zebras not very visible, so there are a number of things having an effect.
It was interesting when I was in Europe, in countries like the UK, Netherlands and Germany motorists always gave way at zebra crossings. But when I was in Italy and France, nobody gave way, so I had to risk my life and walk out onto the road to stop traffic so I could cross. I think Hungary was a bit of a gamble too. I came to the conclusion that maybe in some countries zebra crossings are just a guide as to where you can cross the road, and vehicles don't have to give way.

In Australia vehicles have to stop at zebra crossings, every vehicle does unless they make a mistake. Though there are some zebra crossings in ridiculous locations.

Last edited by Morjo; May 6th, 2010 at 02:25 PM.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #308
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
How about the ultra-turbo roundabout? It has up to six lanes divided over 3 roadways.
whoa! thats hot!
Old May 6th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #309
RKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morjo View Post
It was interesting when I was in Europe, in countries like the UK, Netherlands and Germany motorists always gave way at zebra crossings. But when I was in Italy and France, nobody gave way, so I had to risk my life and walk out onto the road to stop traffic so I could cross. I think Hungary was a bit of a gamble too. I came to the conclusion that maybe in some countries zebra crossings are just a guide as to where you can cross the road, and vehicles don't have to give way.

In Australia vehicles have to stop at zebra crossings, every vehicle does unless they make a mistake. Though there are some zebra crossings in ridiculous locations.
well the rule is you should yield. The dangerous situation occurs when there's a high traffic road, where cars just follow each other at say 80-90 km/h and theres a zebra crossing without trafficlights. If you stop for a pedestrian suddenly, you might find yourself getting hit from behind (and maybe even run over the person, beacause of this).
Its probably different in different countries, e.g in England most pedestrian crossings aren't zebras, they are just marked with a sort of dotted line on the sides, and cars dont have to yield (and they won't either), whereas at proper zebras (with the flashing yellow lights, much less frequent) you can just step on the road they will stop.
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:56 PM   #310
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1819

In Estonia, cars have to yield to pedestrians at pedestrian crossings. The maximum speed is very rarely, if ever, above 50km/h at unregulated zebra crossings. 10 years ago, few cars gave way at pedestrian crossings but now most of them do.

BTW, there is also a rule that if there's a pedestrian crossing within 100 metres, one must cross the road via the zebra crossing.

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; May 6th, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #311
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Zebra crossings on roads with a higher speed limit than 50 are dangerous. Not to mention they don't belong on 4-lane divided highways outside city limits as you see in some countries.
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #312
RKC

here's Hungary's probably most well known roundabout, which actually wasn't a roundabout up untill a couple of years back as the road from the tunel to the bridge had priority

Old May 7th, 2010, 07:25 AM   #313
RKC

wow posts getting mixed up in time again
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:06 AM   #314
Morjo

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
well the rule is you should yield. The dangerous situation occurs when there's a high traffic road, where cars just follow each other at say 80-90 km/h and theres a zebra crossing without trafficlights. If you stop for a pedestrian suddenly, you might find yourself getting hit from behind (and maybe even run over the person, beacause of this).
Its probably different in different countries, e.g in England most pedestrian crossings aren't zebras, they are just marked with a sort of dotted line on the sides, and cars dont have to yield (and they won't either), whereas at proper zebras (with the flashing yellow lights, much less frequent) you can just step on the road they will stop.
We only have zebra crossings in Australia for area's 50k's and under, then there are pedestrian crossing traffic lights or over/underpasses for 60k's and over.
Morjo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #315
RKC

yes in Budapest those are extreme cases too, not usual but they allways get mentioned in news how rude drivers are, and of course names like "death-crossing" are given. But noone thinks of the dangers of stopping like i've mentioned before.
There's one particular spot, on a very busy road, where you drive out to M1-M7(!!!), just before two 2 laned roads join together and turn into a separated mway. here it is:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...02747&t=h&z=19

(Budaörsi and Nagyszőlős join here and continue to be M1-M7 (to the south on the picture)
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:14 PM   #316
simcard
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

i dont mind round abouts, but they are awful when traffic lights are used in conjuntion. The one i hate the most is Hanger lane round about in London, it is simply awful. combined with bad london drivers it is just disgusting
simcard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #317
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

http://i43.************/20z8l5h.jpg
Quote:
whoa! thats hot!
This area just happened to get an update in Google Earth imagery.

[IMG]http://i42.************/vrvnsl.jpg[/IMG]

Old May 12th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #318
peezet

Likes (Received): 17

The roundabout has traffic lights. Is it more effective than a normal crossing ?
peezet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #319
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't know. As far as I know, these kind of super turbo roundabouts are very rare in the Netherlands, there may be only a handful of them. It could be a pilot to test it's efficiency.

This type of roundabouts is so space-consuming that you only see them in completely new situations, for example Pijnacker grew from a small village to a large suburb with a lot of new development. Then you have the space to experiment with roundabouts like these.

Another downside is that the signage definitely requires overhead portals, but the 600m announcement sign is not, so they become very complicated to comprehend for drivers.
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #320
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1777

Quote:
Originally Posted by peezet View Post
The roundabout has traffic lights. Is it more effective than a normal crossing ?
Yes, as it 'internalises' left turns so allows for a higher throughput.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas