daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:10 PM   #321
niterider
niterider

Likes (Received): 0

Surely that's overkill for a roundabout with only 4 exits?
niterider no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:54 AM   #322
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

Definitely looks over-engineered - the roads don't appear to be major trunk roads either.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:05 AM   #323
Feryuc
Proud Mexican-American

that crazy thing looks like a highway interchange-only without the ramps
Feryuc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #324
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This area just happened to get an update in Google Earth imagery.

[IMG]http://i42.************/vrvnsl.jpg[/IMG]

I've driven this one quite a few times. The navigation aspect is actually just fine and clear (the roadway expands out from just 1 lane to 5 or 6 lanes at the lights). The signage lets you know in advance whether you are heading straight, left or right and the overhead signage just before the roundabout gives the specific lane allocation. The road layout leads the driver through on the correct path through the ''maze''.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM   #325
NCT
Not Cwite There

Likes (Received): 1766

I'd like to ask - does the traffic volume actually warrant the 5 lanes? Thanks.
NCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #326
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

I wonder about this as well, as the mainline road is only 1 lane! I think it's an experiment, rather than a necessity.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:23 PM   #327
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

from Slovak towns:

seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #328
niterider
niterider

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post
I've driven this one quite a few times. The navigation aspect is actually just fine and clear (the roadway expands out from just 1 lane to 5 or 6 lanes at the lights). The signage lets you know in advance whether you are heading straight, left or right and the overhead signage just before the roundabout gives the specific lane allocation. The road layout leads the driver through on the correct path through the ''maze''.
I just noticed a disadvantage to these types of roundabouts - you cannot do a U-turn on them
I know this isin't a big deal but its a major advantage of roundabouts, especially in urban areas.
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #329
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I wonder about this as well, as the mainline road is only 1 lane! I think it's an experiment, rather than a necessity.
Here's the Google Maps link, zoomed way out. N470 will be a pretty major 2x2 corridor once it's completed-- it's even grade separated west of A13-- and N472 is being upgraded and realigned, too. To me this looks like a good place to test the concept, since motorists will have ample opportunity to get used to the configuration before traffic volumes get really heavy.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #330
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19358

Nope, N472 will be a divided highway, but only with one lane each way. That's the Dutch idiocy of the last decade. You see a lot of divided highways that have only one lane per direction
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #331
Podgoricanin
Montenegrin

Likes (Received): 2930

Podgorica, Montenegro...

Podgoricanin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 01:21 AM   #332
Aokromes
Patatero Inside

Likes (Received): 2647

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
I just noticed a disadvantage to these types of roundabouts - you cannot do a U-turn on them
I know this isin't a big deal but its a major advantage of roundabouts, especially in urban areas.
Well with a small change they can allow U turn. But i think they made it to avoid U turns.

The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts. Gene Spafford.
I am Basque, not Russian, the "Siberia" thing is a joke.
Aokromes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #333
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
I'd like to ask - does the traffic volume actually warrant the 5 lanes? Thanks.
I used to come on this "roundabout" every day. No, currently the traffic volumes aren't that big, but there's a lot of new development in this area. And after being stuck behind a slow vehicle for many kms (remember you're driving in NL) on a single-lane divided road, this is one of the rare possibilities to overtake.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #334
bogdymol
bogdymod

I'm curious how would a roundabout like this work in Romania (here many drivers don't know that they have to move on the correct lane BEFORE the intersection)
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 07:47 PM   #335
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Not especially noteworthy, but I stumbled upon a new roundabout in Newnan, GA, USA: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...02401&t=k&z=19

I was going to a new jobsite there for the first time, and I'd taken a glance at Google Maps before leaving my office, but since I know a little bit about Newnan I was looking at how to get there, not at what I might find on the way. Not long before I got to the intersection, I thought, "Gee, Greison and Broad might be a good place for a roundabout, though it'll be a miracle if they've actually built one there." Well, miracles can happen, even in backward Georgia.

While I'm hot, here's another, not far from my house: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3...02401&t=k&z=19 . AFAIK it's the only proper roundabout in a county of 800,000 citizens.

And this one, which I think is the first in the state: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=3....0012&t=k&z=20 . The road entering from the east is four lanes, so rather than doing a two-lane roundabout, they killed off the left lane using a surprise compulsory left turn into an apartment complex parking lot.
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2010, 10:18 PM   #336
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

I guess a 2-lane roundabout would've been a too big step to make
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:47 PM   #337
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 5

What do you think about roundabouts on main roads of country (for Europeans probably the most of them are part of TEN-T or E road network).

My opinion is that roundabouts are quite good on local roads or in cities/towns because there is no prior traffic flow on one or another road. But main roads lose efficiency when you have to slow down lots of times because there is another roundabout. The prior traffic flow is on the main road and it should continue driving without stopping. The cars on road with lesser priority can wait for their turn. So, roundabouts shouldn't be used on most important roads [exceptions - really large roundabouts that don't slow traffic much].
Of course, it's only when AADT isn't large.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 12:47 AM   #338
niterider
niterider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevpls View Post
What do you think about roundabouts on main roads of country (for Europeans probably the most of them are part of TEN-T or E road network).

My opinion is that roundabouts are quite good on local roads or in cities/towns because there is no prior traffic flow on one or another road. But main roads lose efficiency when you have to slow down lots of times because there is another roundabout. The prior traffic flow is on the main road and it should continue driving without stopping. The cars on road with lesser priority can wait for their turn. So, roundabouts shouldn't be used on most important roads [exceptions - really large roundabouts that don't slow traffic much].
Of course, it's only when AADT isn't large.
Awful. Come to the UK and find out for yourselves.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 01:10 AM   #339
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

http://http://www.cbrd.co.uk/badjunctions/

Roundabouts are great in some circumstances but the link above shows why they should not be used in that case.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; June 2nd, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2010, 08:29 AM   #340
Jevpls

Likes (Received): 5

Sad, but that link doesn't work for me.

EDIT: Oh, there are two HTTP in the beginning of your link...now everything works well!

Last edited by Jevpls; June 2nd, 2010 at 09:34 AM.
Jevpls no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas